Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2017, 08:16 AM   #1

Loud AC

We have a 174BH. This weekend was the first time we've had to use the AC for an extended time. This is the roof-mounted unit, not the wall-mount. It was very efficient and cooled everything off quickly, but it sounds like an airplane taking off! It's hard to make conversation or hear the TV while the unit is operating, even on low fan and low AC. Is this standard for roof-mounted units? My DH is considering getting a wall unit installed and using that for maintaining the coolness once the roof unit has gotten to the desired temperature. Would the wall unit be any less noisy?
Lorelei56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:18 AM   #2

I am interested in any response also, mine is quite noisy also, but most of the noise seems to be air rushing, rather than motor or compressor related.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:15 AM   #3

The roof mounted A/C in our X23B was pretty noisy and I recall it being a combination of the air (fan) and compressor.
Our current 5th has 2 A/C units both ducted which helps with the noise greatly. However, near the end of last season I noticed the rear A/C seemed to be making quite a bit more noise than earlier in the season. My best description is that it a "drumming" or throbbing that would come and go. Inspection from the roof revealed a small bit of play in the blower motor shaft. I found a replacement on Amazon (capacitor too) which solved the noise issue. This appeared around the 3 year mark.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:59 AM   #4

Mine is loud also roof mounted 15K. But it does the job in >90 deg. humid weather &/or 100+ desert temps. I just turn up the TV & use CC anyway
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:36 AM   #5

Ours is loud too. I think a lot of the sound is from vibrations. I have been threatening to pull the covers and add some sound deadening matting to the sheet metal.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote