Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2016, 08:08 AM   #11

BigJohnD-
I like your idea on the compartment lid being hinged at the cross support. How much will the mattress hinder opening the compartment lid on the rear section? I've been thinking of cutting in an access into that area to avoid lifting the mattress during camping but still get access to the storage area.
Thanks for the ideas!

2016 28BHBE Elite
2008 Chevrolet 2500 HD Duramax w/Allison
2010 GMC Acadia
Jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:22 AM   #12

I like this idea, and will look into copying it when my trailer comes in. Thanks for posting this.

2006 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi QC (2006-2015)
2007 Jayflight 29BHS (2007-2016)
Roaddane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #13

Instead of insulating the under side of the bed I installed some vents and a small fan to introduce warm interior air into that space. Solves the cold bed problem without having the possibility of condensation. Additionally, gives me a heated storage area for things that don't need to freeze (water, soda etc.) when winter camping.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckowner View Post
That's interesting. Ours is a 2011 flight and it was built with the dividing wall you created. Not sure why they would open that up and have it unsupported. Good job finishing off the work for the factory ��
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
Funny on our 2011 we had the wall already built. I can see how your bed broke. You did a nice job on fixing it Good job.
Our 2014 28BHBE came with the wall installed as well. I wonder why some had them and some didn't? Since we had the wall already from factory, our bed is solid enough. I did have to replace one of the struts because it kept popping off, but that was easy.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:01 AM   #15

We have our 2017 Jay Flight BHBE on order...thanks a lot for the pics....good job.
I'll be doing ours when it come in.

diesel
DieselDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #16

Thanks for all the feedback on this issue. My husband and I purchased a 2016 Jayco Jay Flight 38RLTS in March 2016 as a way to explore and get off the grid.

The bed broke/sagged after our 2nd camping trip. Very disappointed. We brought it back to have it fixed under warranty. All was good, but then discovered when we opened this season the pieces that are next to nightstand had staples popping through on my husbands side of the bed - there were about 8. The bed still sags. Ugh.

Sadly we are not bringing it back to the Jayco dealer locally but will instead fix it ourselves. So the feedback on this site has been extremely helpful.

There have been a few other issues that we have discovered -- the charging station does not work and our jack at tailgate is blown (again) which was originally addressed in our warranty work at the end of 2016.

Overall, we LOVE our camper but am very disappointed with the service time response from the dealer we purchased it from. We may be contacting Jayco directly for some feedback and to advise them the warranty work is not being done to accurately correct the situation.
TinaandSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
That's on our to do list. I'll be doing it a little different, but achieves similar results. Will install a divider similar to what you have done, but will put my hinge at that point. So 2 pieces of plywood, with the one over the front compartment being permanently secured. The part over the front compartment will be insulated and paneled inside with a small hatch under the mattress to access inverter later on. Will finish out everything in front compartment with 3/4 foam board and luan as we've done on previous rigs. No doubt the stock set up is far from enough. Mine is bowed pretty bad.
My wife and I 4 weeks ago bought a SLX 29QBSW and went on our 1st trip for Mother's Day and had the same problem with our bed. We spent 2 nights sleeping on the edges of the bed. I had the idea of doing the same mob as big John. I think I will use 5/8" plywood and move the hinge to the cross section as well. I don't think I will lift the bed to access the front storage, we will only lift the bed to access area directly under the bed.

I will be using 2x2's and will. Closing off the gaps to stop air flow from the storage area. I will also install some hooks on the forward side of the support at the head. This will allow me to store fishing poles without them getting tangled together. I will try and post pics at a later date.
98volfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #18

I had the same thing...so I went a little over kill... Added 3/4 plywood and 2- 2x4 supports underneath with lots of anchoring via screws... No insulation yet. But so far the bed is very solid, no bending or sagging!
StupendousMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #19

I know this was a while ago but do you have the measurements? I have the same trailer with the same problem and I am less than great at carpentry.
poesweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
I refabricated our bed very similarly ..... the only difference is, i made the front half permanent, and cut the bed in half ( not really) and just have the back 1/2 hinged and open ..... why lift the whole bed if you only need the storage area inside the trailer