Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2021, 12:44 PM   #1

Moisture Meter readings - Are they correct?

A friend of mine had a soft spot in her floor of her 2014 Jayco Whitehawk travel trailer. We took up a bit of the floor and there was lots of moisture there. There was 1/8 or 3/16 plywood, them styrofoam, then 1/8 or 3/16 plywood. We got a moisture meter and moisture showed up on the rest of the floor and the outside walls. So I took the moisture meter to my 2015 Jayco Jay Flight and got the same readings. Moisture in the floor and outside walls. There are no soft spots in the floor of my Jayco Jay Flight So I went to the third trailer and the same thing. There are no moisture readings on the inside walls.

Are these readings correct, am I reading too much into the moisture meter readings in my trailer. I know an insurance adjustor, he says if you went to every trailer in the park you would detect moisture. Any thoughts on the moisture meter readings. Should I throw the meter away?

Tks In Advance
Reboot123
Reboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:17 PM   #2

Interesting. My moisture meter seems to be accurate. It gives a very low reading in dry wood/wall in the trailer, and an elevated reading everywhere that there is moisture. Mine is a pin probe type meant for different materials. I use it on wood setting rather than concrete (I expect on concrete setting you might get high moisture reading in most other materials).
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
A friend of mine had a soft spot in her floor of her 2014 Jayco Whitehawk travel trailer. We took up a bit of the floor and there was lots of moisture there. There was 1/8 or 3/16 plywood, them styrofoam, then 1/8 or 3/16 plywood. We got a moisture meter and moisture showed up on the rest of the floor and the outside walls. So I took the moisture meter to my 2015 Jayco Jay Flight and got the same readings. Moisture in the floor and outside walls. There are no soft spots in the floor of my Jayco Jay Flight So I went to the third trailer and the same thing. There are no moisture readings on the inside walls.

Are these readings correct, am I reading too much into the moisture meter readings in my trailer. I know an insurance adjustor, he says if you went to every trailer in the park you would detect moisture. Any thoughts on the moisture meter readings. Should I throw the meter away?

Tks In Advance
Reboot123
Try the meter in a guaranteed dry area, like a house.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote