Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2019, 12:07 PM   #21

Wink Getting rid of mice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luluvegas View Post
I am new here and new to TT owning! I am full time and have a 24' Whitehawk MBH. I think I had a mouse get in heater duct area the other night. My cat chased it away (I hope?) but I think it was back last night. Now I have discovered water leaking from the base of wall between bunks and pantry. I have checked outside kitchen, no appearance of leak. Would they chew thru water hose?? I already had two other issues with water but was hobbling thru til I can get to service. But if I have a leak?? It is going to ruin flooring or something if left unattended? I use water sparingly with pump and drain system each use. Any suggestions? HELP
My Sisters husband said in the Army that they used flour mixed with sugar and yeast equal parts. Mix on a paper plate leave where ever you think they may be. The mouse eats it and cant pass gas so it kinda makes their insides explode...gruesome but effective...heres the catch you have to hope it dies outside of the camper....I hear mothballs run them off...also peppermint oils on cotton balls in small paper cups run them off too...Hope it helps.
Angeleyes0001a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:12 PM   #22

Water leak

Perhaps the water is a leak. Had it rained? I have similar camper and leak was in slide out, check under sofa. Water would puddle in fabric and slowly leak out. Source of leak on exterior top of metal mounted along exterior of slide out.
jdmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:50 PM   #23

As one full timer to another and possibly one female to another, let me help. I am generally a strong woman except when it comes to mice. They are dirty and I didn’t invite them in. They have no bones so they can get into anything.

Because of my squeamish nature toward mice, I use de con traps. I use rubber gloves when handling them. I set them up when I have a mouse. They go in eat the food and then seek water and die. Hopefully someplace other than my rig.

For preventive measures and because I am so squeamish of them, if I am in boondocking type area, I leave out the traps. When setting up camp anyplace, i plug possible access holes, like slides, w steel wool, the kind without the soap. I also put led string lights under my coach, down the middle on pulsing. That helps a whole lot.

But the best thing I ever found was a sonar-like guismo that plugs into a standard outlet by Victor. It emits a sound the mice hate and they leave or die. I can’t hear it and neither can my dog. End of story.

Good luck.
Dancingqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 01:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
If the mouse is still in the trailer I will put 10 mouse traps all over the place with peanut butter in them and let it sit overnight that usually does the trick when I have one

I thought this was a good idea. If 10 are good 30 are better. Set them on the floor before going to bed. Didn't catch a mouse but trapped the dog twice and myself when I got up to pee at 3 in the morning.
Old 10-26-2019, 02:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of the road View Post
In case it's not a mouse problem. Since you are new to RV's and you said you had other water issues, are you using a pressure regulator when connecting to city water? If the pressure is too high you may have water leaks show up anywhere in your plumbing system.

I had water on the floor once being hooked to city. Maybe that was my issue as it was only that one time. Do you have a link to what you’re talking about?
Sneaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 03:53 PM   #26

mose hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSmart View Post
Always worked for us . I like to fine tune the trip mechanism if possible. Sometimes traps aren't sensitive enough and the little buggers can clean the peanut butter off without tripping it.
I've been very happy with the Tom Cat brand of mouse traps -- set up a couple every Fall in the garage. Also us the Tom Cat rat traps for chipmunk control in the garden.

If they are in a vent, you might try a chunk of dry ice. Put it in the vent and block the vent. The CO2 will suffocate anything in there.
rowemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nprothero View Post
Mice hate the smell of dryer sheets (like Bounce). Put them everywhere and change every 6 weeks or so.
Really wish that was true about dryer sheets...like they dislike Irish Spring. We had squirrels & mice earlier this year - the squirrels were outside in the front compartment of our 5ver. However, the mice did get inside. So DW put several bars cut into quarters throughout the unit. We went down about a week later and found teeth marks on just about all of the bars. It was also suggested to leave used kitty litter inside. Well, we didn't leave used but we did leave our Litter Robot with litter inside - while not 100% clean it still did not keep them out.

It has been suggested to place moth balls outside of the unit in spots that will not get wet. Plus making sure all entry points are sealed but they eat through foam too. And steel wool rusts against the aluminum.

Good luck whatever way you go.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:53 PM   #28

Fresh Cab! If the mouse is still in the trailer, Fresh Cab will make him leave and stay away. We've been using it for years and never had so much as a dead bug or a mouse turd.

https://www.earthkind.com/product/fr...ent-repellent/
Attached Thumbnails
71rqnKqeWOL._AC_SL1200_.jpg  

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:51 PM   #29

Go to an online trapper store. Order a bottle of bobcat pee and set of tags. Hang tags around Rv and spray with bobcat pee. Only fix I have found dry camping that works.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:50 PM   #30

My camper sits on 4 acres of pasture land, when I am not out camping. I put a large TomCat mouse bait under the camper on the ground, and 4 smaller ones inside. I have never had a mouse inside the camper. My hope is that they are drawn to the big one under the camper and eat that and never make it inside. Once they eat the bait, they go off somewhere and die, so you never have to touch a dead mouse. That has worked for 2+ years for me.

Tags
leak, mice, water