Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2017, 10:02 PM   #1

Murphy's law??

Usually states that if it can go wrong, it will.

I'm wondering if Jayco asserts that if it's a really cool unit, no one will buy it. lol

We really like this floor plan. It's almost perfect for us. The problem is that we can't seem to find it anywhere in driving distance. Where we have found it (in galaxies far, far away from us), their asking price is often near or even above MSRP!!

I've asked two different Jayco salesmen (at two different dealerships) if they carry the 23 BHM (bunkhouse in the back; queen murphy bed in the front); they both say that the unit sits on their lot and they can't sell it.

Since I haven't been able to look at it in person, I can't tell if it has some sort of weird flaw that keeps it from selling, or if we're just weird for liking bunkhouse with murphy bed models.
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:39 PM   #2

IMO, people either are OK with a Murphy bed or they are not. In our younger years we may have considered one. Now that we are older, no.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:05 AM   #3
Site Team

We have the Jay Feather 7 version 22BHM. Love the Murphy bed design. Great trailer design for a family.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:22 AM   #4

Saw the floorplan with the Murphy bed online and fell in love. Went to the RV show and was there for about 8 hours, 5 hours (probably exaggerated, but felt like it) of which was probably spent looking at the exact trailer we saw online. By the time we got done transforming the camper numerous times for our benefit and that of those that walked in and were curious, we had decided that doing that twice a day or more and having to climb over the arm of the couch to get into the bed was not for us. I loved the space that it offered if the size of the trailer but just decided that wasn't the one. Still think the murphy bed is a really cool thing, but just like a lot of things in TT's a little more attention to how it is implemented was needed. Good luck with the search for yous!
(ordered 5/9/16, arrived 10/17/16, brought home 4/14/17)
2005 Trail Cruiser TL-26QBH (sold)
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:32 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoGriff View Post
Saw the floorplan with the Murphy bed online and fell in love. Went to the RV show and was there for about 8 hours, 5 hours (probably exaggerated, but felt like it) of which was probably spent looking at the exact trailer we saw online. By the time we got done transforming the camper numerous times for our benefit and that of those that walked in and were curious, we had decided that doing that twice a day or more and having to climb over the arm of the couch to get into the bed was not for us. I loved the space that it offered if the size of the trailer but just decided that wasn't the one. Still think the murphy bed is a really cool thing, but just like a lot of things in TT's a little more attention to how it is implemented was needed. Good luck with the search for yous!

Which model were you in? You don't have to climb over the arm of the couch to get in to the bed in our 22BHM. I haven't been in the 23 to be able to compare.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
IMO, people either are OK with a Murphy bed or they are not. In our younger years we may have considered one. Now that we are older, no.
X2

We bought our 23RB in August of 2015. Looked at the Murphy bed version and decided against it. However, Crestview RV was selling the Murphy bed models as fast as they could get them in.

FYI, MSRP for our 23RB was $24K, we paid $17K. NEVER, never, pay MSRP for an RV. Too many options out there. Haylett RV and Wholesale RV to name a few.

<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Which model were you in? You don't have to climb over the arm of the couch to get in to the bed in our 22BHM. I haven't been in the 23 to be able to compare.
I believe it was the 2016 Jay Flight 23RBM. That's the thing, we didn't remember having to climb over the couch arms on a similar Whitehawk version in 2015 but we honestly could not be sure.
(ordered 5/9/16, arrived 10/17/16, brought home 4/14/17)
2005 Trail Cruiser TL-26QBH (sold)
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:22 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoGriff View Post
I believe it was the 2016 Jay Flight 23RBM. That's the thing, we didn't remember having to climb over the couch arms on a similar Whitehawk version in 2015 but we honestly could not be sure.
That would make sense. Ours in the 22 couldn't be any easier.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:26 AM   #9

We are enjoying our Jay Feather 23RBM. The Murphy bed is very comfortable with a 1" topper that we added. The design does make for a nice space in the day when we put the bed up to employ the sofa.

For us the drawbacks are the loss of front storage (pretty significant), and we often spend lazy days in the camper so the bed stays down a lot of the day. We have observed that we are not utilizing the intent of the design when we do this, and we may be better off with a fixed bed. We also think we would like more nightstand shelf/counter and storage and lights directly over the head of the bed; the bed lights are not at arms' reach above head with a Murphy (so it can close). These are features that come with a fixed bed. We also would like storage over the head of the bed. A Murphy must close, so there is no capacity for overhead storage above the bed. If we went to a fixed bed, we would want the extra seating (sofa/recliners and dinette), so we would need another 3' in trailer.

Another side issue: We learned that we cannot put a fan over the bed area. The roof plywood is spaced in such a way that there is a seam between roof panels that interferes with the installation of a fan over our bed - that is a bummer and something that we do wish we had. The dealer told us that it was due to the Murphy design. I am not exactly sure about that, but I did check the roof construction, and there is a seam right at the start of the bedroom that kills the opportunity for a fan. It's on the list for our Dream Trailer of the Future!

It depends on how you are going to use your unit. Sometimes, we do not know until we get into things. We have discovered that we may want a fixed bed based on our camping habits. We are pretty lazy when we camp (lots of naps and chillin'). Plus it rains and storms a fair bit when we camp, so we wind up inside the camper.

So here's the deal: Yes, the Murphy provides the option of bonus floor space and extra seating.

Yes, it is easy to employ and put away.

Yes, while easy, it is an added step to your processes.

Yes, the bed can be made very comfortable with a small topper (like all RV beds).

Yes, the lack of exterior storage is a problem for us.

Yes, if the bed stays down a large amount of the time, you would be better off with a fixed bed (defeats the purpose of Murphy).

Yes, there is a lack of nightstand utility compared to fixed bed design.

Yes, Murphy is more moving parts added to your list of potential part failures and servicing (requires regular inspection at a minimum).

That's my take anyway. We like our TT, and we are very happy that we chose it. We intend to camp it for many years. However, our next unit could be bigger with a fixed bed, or, who knows, we may want to go small in our elder days and get a mini model or a small MH. We do not regret our decision, but at the same time we may not go this way in the future.

Murphy bed plans are neat, but there are trade-offs to think about. Really think about how you will spend your time in the CG. If you are going to do a lot of long road trips with brief overnight stays, I would consider a fixed bed. If you think you want to have your coffee and then crawl back into bed to snooze some more, take naps, or watch TV or read in bed during the day, then I would consider a fixed bed. These habits defeat the advantage of the Murphy. If you are going to get up and put the bed away each morning and leave it up, then the Murphy is great. If you can function well with the loss of a pass-through and over-head storage and tiny nightstand space, then the Murphy will be great. All models have pros and cons. We have learned that there is not a perfect model - just different designs for different times and places in life. And, they all have problems and require your time, energy, and money.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercityjeff View Post
X2

We bought our 23RB in August of 2015. Looked at the Murphy bed version and decided against it. However, Crestview RV was selling the Murphy bed models as fast as they could get them in.

FYI, MSRP for our 23RB was $24K, we paid $17K. NEVER, never, pay MSRP for an RV. Too many options out there. Haylett RV and Wholesale RV to name a few.
Thanks so much. When it's time to purchase, I would be willing to drive to Buda if I could possibly get a good deal. I'm not seeing them anywhere around here, and just can't bring myself to pay full price. Since I can't even find them here (I'm on the Louisiana border, east of Beaumont), I suspect I won't get the best price around here even if I do; I'm hoping they surprise me, however. lol

Do you mind if I PM you closer to my purchase time (between December and next fall) and ask you questions about how you made the deal, etc?
Old 07-09-2017, 08:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Thanks so much. When it's time to purchase, I would be willing to drive to Buda if I could possibly get a good deal. I'm not seeing them anywhere around here, and just can't bring myself to pay full price. Since I can't even find them here (I'm on the Louisiana border, east of Beaumont), I suspect I won't get the best price around here even if I do; I'm hoping they surprise me, however. lol

Do you mind if I PM you closer to my purchase time (between December and next fall) and ask you questions about how you made the deal, etc?
Sure, I'm happy to help.

We have a salesman contact with Crestview - Buda. They are the largest Jayco towable dealer in the USA. End of month (to make their quotas) and RV shows are great times to buy.

If you are leaning towards a 23RB, I am happy to answer your questions about issues and mods. There may be an upgrade in our future.

<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:09 PM   #12

We just bought a white hawk 23mrb. It is just for the two of us, and we love the layout. We put the bed away during the day and the extra room with sofa is great. We adapted to the reduced storage, so less is now more. I use a clip on fan/light next to the bed if needed, and plan to string up some led rope lighting. We also love the large bathroom and outdoor kitchen. Everyone seems to have different needs, and you're smart to want to see it before buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2017, 06:21 PM   #13

I have a 2016 BHM and I love it!. Heading to Gettysburg this weekend and Lake Erie the weekend after that. It's just my wife and I and it fits us well. We both love the Murphy bed and how it folds up and out of the way when not needed. We've had our daughter (in college now), mother and father in law, and friends all stay with us and room has never been a problem.

The MSRP on it was like $28k but we got it for $18k, this included every option we wanted plus the hitch, delivery, etc. Good luck finding one. If you're near the Pittsburgh area we will gladly give you a tour!
Old 07-09-2017, 08:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragmag View Post
The MSRP on it was like $28k but we got it for $18k, this included every option we wanted plus the hitch, delivery, etc. Good luck finding one. If you're near the Pittsburgh area we will gladly give you a tour!
Thanks so much. This is encouraging. I like the unit a lot, but was starting to have doubts about attempting to get it if I couldn't get a 1/3 off type deal on it.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Thanks so much. This is encouraging. I like the unit a lot, but was starting to have doubts about attempting to get it if I couldn't get a 1/3 off type deal on it.
We became enamored with the Jay Feather 23BHM floor plan, and just like you we had a hard time finding one. It took a few months of searching but we finally stumbled onto one at a dealer in New Jersey - maybe 3 hours away. It wasn't exactly what we wanted in the way of colors and options though so we ordered ours from Jayco through a dealer much closer to our home. I believe we placed the order in January and I'm going tomorrow for the PDI, and if all goes well I'll be pulling it home.

Keep in mind that it took 7 months for us to get our trailer, but it's a 2018 and they weren't being built until the end of May, so most of our wait time was for Jayco to start production.

We were able to get about 27% off the list price on the unit we ordered and I would imagine we could have haggled for a little more, maybe another $1000 or so, but I like the dealership and we were satisfied enough. Better deals could have been had at other dealers but of course there were trade-offs, proximity being the biggest one.

Obviously we haven't camped in the trailer yet (Camp Driveway next weekend) so I can't say definitively whether we'll love or hate it, but we've looked at a lot of travel trailers over the past few years (at least a hundred in our price/weight/size range) and we rolled the dice on the 23BHM because we think the positives outweigh the negatives for how we anticipate using it. That's the important thing I think - how will YOU be using your trailer.

As far as the Murphy bed is concerned, for us it was a big positive. The sofa is comfortable and so is the bed, and with the bed flipped up the living area is much more open...and there's a sofa! For the hour I'll be packing up the trailer I'm sure I'll miss the pass-through storage, but for the next 48 hours or so I figure we'll all be happy with that extra floor space and the seating for three. Wife and daughter happy, everyone happy. That's how I look at it anyway.

One last thing: the back of the trailer with the single bunks, the little wardrobe, the sink outside the bathroom, and the back door. Looks great and really maximizes interior space, plus if you just want to use the bathroom you can go in through the back rather than dragging dirt all through the trailer - it's all good. But about that back door - think "submarine hatch". It's narrow and short - real narrow and real short. But at least Jayco's thinking of your safety: they put a padded head bumper above the door.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote