Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2016, 01:36 PM   #1

Need HELP AC not working well

I have a New 2016 32BHDS that has one AC. The unit is not strong enough to cool the trailer down after parking until the sun goes down. The next day it is 91 outside and 81 inside and the ends of the unit are 85. I even have the windows closed and lights off. I looked up into the unit and the white wire is connected to the coils and they are not frozen. There is a good amount of liquid dripping off the trailer. I have great airflow coming from all of the vents. The air dose appear to be colder then the inside temp but at 81 degress that is not hard. I am wondering if something is wrong. It should not be this uncomfortable in the trailer.

Any help would be appricated. My dealer sucks they take forever to get in to see for service.
Gidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #2

You probably need a 2nd unit, one a/c for a rig that size is pushing it. Did you order or buy off the lot? According to the specs it normally only comes with a 13,500 unless an upgrade was purchased.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You probably need a 2nd unit, one a/c for a rig that size is pushing it. Did you order or buy off the lot? According to the specs it normally only comes with a 13,500 unless an upgrade was purchased.
We got it from dealer stock from a rv show.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidor View Post
We got it from dealer stock from a rv show.
If you have the standard 13,500 vs 15,000 you will definitely have trouble. As I mentioned you probably need 2 units and unfortunately it's not wired for 2.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
If you have the standard 13,500 vs 15,000 you will definitely have trouble. As I mentioned you probably need 2 units and unfortunately it's not wired for 2.
IDK the BTU but I know it's almost as hot outside as it is inside our camper . And your right I think the 2 AC setup has a. 50 amp. This sucks ass.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:34 PM   #6
Site Team

The problem is that is a 36' unit with large slides and windows. Slides and windows let in the heat. I agree with Grumpy a single 13.5K unit is pushing it for that trailer. That`s not to say there is not also possibly an issue with your AC unit however.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
That`s not to say there is not also possibly an issue with your AC unit however.
He said a lot of water is running off the roof, so that tells me it's working to capacity
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:53 PM   #8

FWIW, I have two AC's in my trailer---a 15K unit and a 11.5K unit. We found out the last time we were out that if I park with the slide (driver side) facing West, even two AC's isn't enough to keep the temp down when in full sun. Of course, that's when it's like 102 degrees outside, like it is today. The best I was able to manage when starting out at 72 degrees in the morning was 81 by mid afternoon. We probably could have done better if I had started out at 68 degrees in the morning and oriented the camper with the slide to the East and the awning facing West.

With your unit, I'd consider moving the 13.5K unit (if that is what you have) to the bedroom area and putting a 15K unit where the 13.5K unit is now.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:41 PM   #9

Need HELP AC not working well

"AC Not working well" isn't a sufficient description.

It depends. Are you in Bangladesh? Or are you in Quebec? My point is, the outside WX conditions need to be included in your complaint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
"AC Not working well" isn't a sufficient description.

It depends. Are you in Bangladesh? Or are you in Quebec? My point is, the outside WX conditions need to be included in your complaint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We are in Gettysburg today. High was about 92 with humidity about 80% or higher. Trailer door faced north east(due to camp site restrictions I was unable to move the camper on an angle. Inside Temps were about 4 degrees cooler then outside. I tried opening the dumpsame on the bottom but it did not help.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:06 PM   #11

A/C

I suggest you look at your paperwork that came with the unit and determine if you have the 13.5 or the 15.5k A/C. I have a 35.5' with metal siding and a 15.5k A/C. Cools just fine. A/C output should range between 16 to 22 degrees cooler than the input temp. That tells you if your unit is functioning properly. A cheap infrared thermometer will do the trick. I got a NUBEE NUB8380 from Amazon for $16.00 and it has a lot of uses.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:36 PM   #12

Ours has a 15000 btu and in the middle of the day without shade it stays pretty warm inside but cooler than the outside and less humid ... I know there is heat loss with the slides and its bigger but we are probably going to go on and add the 2nd unit to ours just for the sake of helping the one not to work so hard and maybe cool it a little better on hot days
Old 07-16-2016, 08:19 PM   #13

I would get up on your roof and make sure the fins on your condenser coil not all bent over I have the same model with the 15K and I can put my unit into the sixties when it's 95 degrees out , I was talking to your guy on another Jayco Forum that had purchased a new Jayco and his condenser fins were all bent over . 22 yeah hvac guy here , I work for trane

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
keto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:12 PM   #14

Thanks for the suggestion on the fins. I will take a look in the am. Will I need to remove the shroud and if so will that void anything on the warrenty