Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2016, 03:10 PM   #1

New Release 29BHDB

My brother currently has a 2010 Tundra and is towing a 2013 White Hawk DSBH. They are interested in selling it to get a new trailer and their hearts are set on a 32BHDS but that's probably too much camper for their 1/2 ton and they don't want a 3/4.

Naturally, they gravitated towards the 28BHBE which gives them basically the same exact floorplan of their whitehawk but they lose the outdoor fridge which is kind of cool but it does give you a bigger interior fridge. They were leaning towards that because it gave them a bigger shower and side windows in the slide.

I was browsing the Jayco website today and came across a 29BHDB. It must have just been posted because I never saw it before and I can't find any pics or video yet. It gives them the full size bunk beds they want and allows them to keep the outside fridge and it also gives them a sink and stovetop outside too which are bonuses. It also has 1/2 bath for the kids in the back and a full pass through bathroom leading to the bedroom. You're looking at 80 gallons of fresh, 78 gallons of black and 39 gray. I'm loving the dual baths for 80 gallons black!

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:04 PM   #2

Just my opinion and 2 cents. Still probably to much trailer for a 1/2 ton.
I know there are a lot of lightweight and "ultra light" trailers being built which have weight specifications well under the maximum specs of a well equipped 1/2 ton truck. That still does not mean a 1/2 ton should tow it.
Many people look at these specs and ignore the plain simple physics of the matter.
You are towing a very long big block which catches a lot of wind and is very subject to irregularities of the road.
When someone tows a trailer, there are two fulcrums which come into play. One at the hitch, where a good WDH and anti sway can dampen the movement, but can never eliminate it (it may seem that way, but as long as the vehicle can turn and pivot at the hitch, sway cannot be eliminated); the other fulcrum is at the center of the axles of the trailer.
Even when the trailer falls well within the specifications of a 1/2 ton, the sheer size and length should also be taken into account.
A strong cross wind against a 1/2 ton towing a 24 foot trailer may not have any effect, but lengthen that trailer to 30 feet, even if the weight is still exactly the same and that 1/2 ton can be blown all over the road.
Simply adding the sturdier suspension and extra weight of a 3/4 ton can help a lot.
The trailer industry is not building these lightweight and ultra light trailers just so that more people can tow them with smaller tow vehicles. The industry also builds and designs the ultra lights and lightweights so that the larger tow vehicles can maintain better gas mileage by towing lighter loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:08 PM   #3

That is a great floor plan! I have the 28BHBE and not having to wake up the kids at night to flush is great, but we need more grey tank capacity, not black.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:44 PM   #4

I have a '16 28dsbh and I'm very glad not to be trying to pull it with a 1/2 ton. We just did 1400 miles in 3 days and I am really none the worse for wear. If I'd been fighting the winds with a smaller truck, I'd probably be to beat to enjoy my trip.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:16 PM   #5

I've got a 5.7L Tundra and a 2015 26BHS which is somewhat similar minus the 2nd bathroom at the front. It was replaced with the 27BHS.

The Tundra will pull well, but payload will run out fast with the 1/2 ton (I barely clear my limit with empty tanks).
theoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:35 PM   #6

I took a look at the floor plan again, I think I still prefer the 28BHBE. With the 29BHDB you lose the wardrobe storage with drawers below and the ladder to get to the second bunk. We use that wardrobe and drawers for our linens and the kids' clothes. Without that space I am not sure where they would put their stuff. The ladder for the second bunk is also relatively important for me...its a long way down!

The other thing that I notice is the tongue weight is much higher because of the front bathroom and tanks, raised from 685lb->825lb. We are closer to 800lb TW with our 28BHBE, so the 29BHDB is going to be well over 1000lb.
that puts you out of what most 1500 hitches are rated for and payloads (except for some of the new F150s). Contrary to what some people say, the 28BHBE is still 1500 towable as long as you have a decent rear axle and payload rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCamper View Post
My brother currently has a 2010 Tundra and is towing a 2013 White Hawk DSBH. They are interested in selling it to get a new trailer and their hearts are set on a 32BHDS but that's probably too much camper for their 1/2 ton and they don't want a 3/4.

Naturally, they gravitated towards the 28BHBE which gives them basically the same exact floorplan of their whitehawk but they lose the outdoor fridge which is kind of cool but it does give you a bigger interior fridge. They were leaning towards that because it gave them a bigger shower and side windows in the slide.

I was browsing the Jayco website today and came across a 29BHDB. It must have just been posted because I never saw it before and I can't find any pics or video yet. It gives them the full size bunk beds they want and allows them to keep the outside fridge and it also gives them a sink and stovetop outside too which are bonuses. It also has 1/2 bath for the kids in the back and a full pass through bathroom leading to the bedroom. You're looking at 80 gallons of fresh, 78 gallons of black and 39 gray. I'm loving the dual baths for 80 gallons black!

motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:51 PM   #7

For what its worth, I have the same length trailer, 2016 29BHDS. It appears my model has a 130lb lighter hitch weight (695 vs 825 per Jayco's page) and I was still over my payload and RAWR on my 2014 F150 SCREW Maxtow by a little. Power wise the tundra will probably be OK, but its likely going to be over the payload, certainly pushing it, and limit the amount of people and "stuff" you can put in the truck.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote