Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2020, 07:04 AM   #1

New Tow Vehicle Gas vs Diesel & 4x2 vs 4x4

I live in Conroe TX and Work in Houston.. My 17 Tacoma TRD Sport has to be Replaced. My MIL bought a Larger Travel Trailer when All was said & Done.
I will be looking at New 3/4 Ton Crew Cab Trucks. Looking at Ram 2500 & Ford F250. Will be Towing a 7,000 lb 2015 Jay Flight SLX 267BHSW 6-7 times a year, only about 4 hour drives in East TX. It will be my Daily Driver, about 40 miles one way to work.
It seems like it's better to stay with a Gas Engine over Diesel, due to Maint Costs, EPA issues, etc.
Should I get a 4x2 OR 4x4?

Thank You In Advance for Your Guidance & Experience!!
Scott&Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:50 AM   #2

4x4 always you just never know when you get into a place and it has rained and you have to get out...

the payload of a 3/4 ton with a diesel is better in 2020 and up but prior to that they were similar to a 1/2 ton payload....

are you buying new or used?

I ended up with a one ton diesel with a payload of 3700lbs... TBH the cost of the diesel is on par with a gas IMO.. the only extra is the fuel filter but the oil is actually cheaper ... (good sales) 2017 and up trucks have it mostly figured out... DEF is the crappy part of it all... but the power is crazy...

If a new truck a 6.6L or 7.3L gas would be in my thoughts for sure....

Mine was actually cheaper long run as in MN the one ton tabs are $139 vs $800 annually with a 3/4 ton...And of course when I bought mine they had 15% off of MSRP.. and no gas motors to be found at EOY
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:18 AM   #3

Hi Curver900,
I'm looking at 2020 Gas Models. Seems the EPA Rules are causing More & Expensive Problems for the New Diesels. I drive around 450 miles a week and Need Reliability and Cost Effectiveness!!!
Scott&Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:10 AM   #4

We just purchased a 2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn/ Crew cab with the EcoDiesel and a new Whitehawk 27RB (about 7500lb). Truck pulls trailer fine but we do short trips (under 1000 miles) and no mountains yet.
Nice ride and 29mpg when not towing. 15mpg when towing. I'm at 5000 miles with it and have added 4 gallons of DEF so far - not as big an issue as I thought! Some truck stops have DEF at the pump so you can fill both up at the same time.
And I can park it in my Garage!
Lmbrjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:27 AM   #5

Unless you ALWAYS travel on flat paved roads, I would go 4 wheel drive.

I use 4 wheel drive all the time. No way would I not get a new TV without it. Couple examples;
  • My driveway is concrete and has a 10% grade in the front. Once I start backing in and get the truck straightened out. I put it in 4L, the truck just walks up the hill, all I have to do is press the brake peddle to control my speed, I never touch the gas. Makes for a very smooth approach up my semi steep, but very narrow driveway.
  • A few places we stay at has nice grassy campsites (not sure how they stay so nice). If the grass is damp, it is slippery, I have and have seen others just spin their tires. Saw a Big dually with a 5ver, 2 wheel drive stuck on flat level grassy ground. He just spun the wheels until he was really stuck. I just put my TV in 4L immediately and walked right out, never spun a tire.
  • We tend to camp primarily in State Parks and more rustic CGs, with gravel roads. Many times, I have needed to put the TV in 4L to back into a site, as the site was higher than the road, and the gravel was loose. TThe rear wheels just broke loose in 2 wheel drive, walked right up in 4L.
  • With the TT on board, I do not use 4H often, but 4L is used every single time we come home, and maybe once or twice at a CG to make getting into a site easier.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:41 AM   #6

Second the 4x4 vote! But be aware that it affects your overall haul rating (added weight in all the 4x4 stuff). I live where there is some snow and ice so 200 lb of sand in the back and 4 wheel high will get used plenty. I have trailered boats (with my previous 4x4) to some remote lakes with less than stellar ramps if any. So like Jagiven said - I go right to 4 wheel low to keep the getting stuck out of the picture.
Lmbrjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:25 AM   #7

X2 for 4X4. I won't ever own a 2WD again but I live much farther north than you do.
I am very happy with my F-250 4x4 gas. It is my daily driver and low maintenance (esp. compared to diesel)
Wish I got better gas milage but it's a great TV and a good DD.

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:33 AM   #8

+1 on the 4x4...but keep in mind that just because it's a heavy duty truck with 4x4 it won't off-road like a Tacoma or Ranger because it's so much heavier. I've been up to the running boards twice in my Super Duty.

I won't tow over 5k without a diesel. Yes it has enormous amounts of power going up the hill but more importantly is exhaust brakes these trucks now have. Their ability to walk the heavy trailers down the hill/mountain is amazing. I've had my 6.7L walk our 15k 5'er down 8% grades without braking...
Slurugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:56 AM   #9
CAG

Having towed small to large with gas and diesel, I can say diesel with 4WD without question. If you do any boondocking you need 4WD, If you pull into an RV park someplace and have to negotiate an uphill, grassy approach in the rain, you need 4WD. If you use your truck for anything outside of towing, say, wet snowy, muddy roads, 4WD is peace of mind. I would not be without at least one 4WD vehicle in the garage.

I hear the "diesels" are more expensive all the time but I found that not to be true. Sure my Tahoe took 6 quarts of oil and the diesel took 10. $12-16 every 6 month? Regular gas is about the same price as diesel and diesel will get much better mileage than gas. Generally now long warranty periods do away with having to fix something so that is not an issue for the first 5 or more years with diesels. Maybe 3 with gassers.

Then there is, as mentioned, downhill braking. Now called turbo-braking. The old way was exhaust but in any event being able to put the truck at 55mph with 14K behind you and not touch the gas or brake for miles going down hill is really peace of mind. Try that with a gasser. If your nerves make it to the bottom of the hill.

Oh, and the big one. You will upgrade RVs at some point down the road. Probably sooner than later. If you go bigger, and have a gasser, well, now you go truck shopping too. Plan ahead because you will upgrade, I promise you.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 02:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott&Leslie View Post
[...] It seems like it's better to stay with a Gas Engine over Diesel, due to Maint Costs, EPA issues, etc.
Should I get a 4x2 OR 4x4? [...]
I've only ever lived in areas where 4WD is a bit of a must-have, so I can't really help you there. I've read about RWD trucks doing fine and even some who dropped a locker in the rear that ends up being as good as most 4WD. I have no experience in either, though.

As for diesel, the maintenance cost thing is mostly myth. It will cost a bit more in maintenance, but only to the tune of about $100 or so over the course of a year. That's usually in the noise level of most people's annual budgets. The bigger issue is with repairs, which is different than maintenance. If something breaks, then the diesel will cost a lot more to fix. Those engines are absolutely stuffed into the engine bay and cab removal is often needed. EPA emissions, particularly on the trucks in the early 2010s, can exacerbate or directly lead to those repairs.

There are certainly a bunch of reasons to opt for gasoline over diesel, but maintenance costs isn't a great reason ... even if it's the most commonly cited one.

I'll stay away from the "need" part of the discussion, as it never makes sense to me on an RV forum. Sure, you don't need a diesel. OK, but who among us needs a small house on wheels that we can drag into the woods for a few days at a time? If we restricted things to bona fide needs, these RV forums would lose about 75% of the threads on them.

With that said, I would expect that a gasoline engine will yank your trailer around like nothing.

I got a diesel because I tow at 10,000' and got tired of normally aspirated engines that lose 3% per 1,000'. I also wanted the engine braking, wanted to be future-proof, and I just wanted a diesel out of preference.

But an F-250 with the 6.2L would be fine. An F-250 with the 7.3L would be overkill (like the 6.7L PSD), but might be fun.
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 02:38 PM   #11

I say go for the 4x4 (if you need it one time, it was a wise purchase!)...also it'll help with resale. Gas vs. Diesel is a huge debate. If this is the biggest trailer you will ever buy and you're going to keep it for a good while, I say get the gas for what your needs are. Although, again with resale...I think the diesel will hold more value. Especially right now, from what I've read & heard diesel trucks are in high demand. I had the local dealership offer me $49k for my '16 Ram 3500 DRW Megacab with 26k miles on it last month. I paid $51,700 for the truck! Trust me...I considered the offer, but I like the way my truck is set up and wouldn't want to start over...Plus, I only owe $16k on it. You've got lots of options...go with what you can afford and don't look back!
Old 09-11-2020, 04:38 PM   #12
Site Team

This is actually a really tough call. At the weight of the current trailer, I would have a very hard time recommending a diesel (and this is coming from someone who has owned diesels for well over 25 years). The complexity of the modern diesel emissions systems really outweighs their advantages until you really get in to pulling heavy on a regular basis.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that unless a larger trailer is in your immediate future, I would be looking at a modern half ton with a good payload package.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:01 PM   #13

I have had 2 trucks on the last 20 years. 99 f250 ccsb 4x4 5.4 and the current 01 f250 eclb 4x4 7.3. Both with 4r100 and 3.73 gears. The diesel does stuff in overdrive that the old gasser was screaming in 2nd gear to pull up/over. The best the 5.4 would get was 12.25 on the highway, 8.5 towing the old popup. The 7.3 went from gunnison, over monarch, up to limon, pulling the same trailer, 17.85. I will never go back to a gasser. And yes they both get stuck in wet grass if not locked in.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:38 PM   #14

Our 2016 24 RKS says it is rated for 6550 GVW. Our 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman is rated to pull 10,000. The pickup has 3:92 gears in it. They are lower than most other 1500 Rams have. I also do not get the empty fuel mileage that other 1500 Rams get. I get it about 13 city miles in it. If I go on the highway we are pulling the trailer. Pulling I get about 5 mpg at what ever speed I want. @55-60 it is 5 mpg, @80 it is 5 mpg. We pull in Oregon and the passes can be up to 6000 ft. We drove it to OK and IL a couple of years ago and had no trouble pulling the hills between here and there (great divide). The only thing I worry about is overloading the pickup when towing. I need to take it across the scales one of these days just to see. I like the gas because I can replace the whole engine for the price of a set of injectors or a turbo on a diesel. Maybe a gas 3/4 ton with the 6.4 Hemi if you want a 2500. The ultimate choice is yours and what you like. Diesels are good tire burners. It is impressive when you see the diesels nail the throttle at 35 or 55 miles a hour. I do have horse power and torque envy.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:56 PM   #15

Scott, the choice is clear. 2020-21 F-350 with the 7.3L gasser mated to the 10 speed transmission to take care of all present and future needs. Of course this is a totally biased opinion because I've just described my next truck.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:34 PM   #16
crl

Gas vase Diesel

These questions always open up much discussion and many differing opinions. I don’t know which is the right one, I guess it depends on your situation.

My DW and I pull a 28RL White Hawk that likely weighs in around 8000 lbs loaded. Earlier this year we upgraded from a Tundra to the 1020 Chevy 2500 HD with the 6.6 gasser. We chose to go with a two wheel drive and have not regretted it. Was a bit cheaper and I don’t have to worry about additional future upkeep on the front drive train.

We found the Chevy to have a moderately better ride. We have pulled our TT about 6000 miles with the new truck and have been very happy with our choice. Tows like a dream. It averages between 10 and 12.5 mpg depending on grade and wind. I average around 16 mpg daily driving and 19 on the highway.

Obviously the 3/4 rides like a 3/4, but would encourage you to also take a look at the Chevy. This truck will tow any trailer my DW and I would ever consider owning.

The choice can be a hard one, and it is personal to your specific needs. I wish you the best of luck.
crl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:46 AM   #17

crl, we are considering one of those trucks like you bought. Can you please tell me which wheels you have? 17, 18, or 20 inch? Also what gear do you pull in on the freeway? Our current TV will do 5th gear on flat ground with no wind, but drops to 4th gear pretty easily. When that happens, there goes the gas mileage!
As far as the OPs question I can only tell of my own experience. In the last 20+ years, I have needed 4wheel drive 1 time. That is 3 trucks. In my case calling a wrecker would be much cheaper. With locking differentials I never get stuck. Working on Semi trucks for a career, I have no use for the diesel with this level of the EPA, having fixed a lot of that stuff. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:10 AM   #18

Always a popular question and it's really a matter of personal choice. All 3/4+ ton trucks have become so capable it makes the decisions difficult. Personally, I had a 2017 F-250 6.2 gas and it was fine for my daily driver and towed my Eagle just fine...well except the mileage while towing. It's no joke, towing a 10,000 lb trailer gets you 6-7mpg. Coupled with a 34 gallon gas tank, you're realistically getting less than 200 miles while towing. Yes, I probably stop that often for comfort breaks, but having to find a gas station every 200 miles with a 60 foot rig blows.

March of this year, found a deal I could pass up on a 2020 F-350 6.7 diesel. Same trailer, we're getting 11ish mpg and a 48 gallon tank. Payload on the new Fords is massive...crew cab with a long wheel base, 4500lbs payload with a diesel (12,400 GVWR). So much power and comfort, towing is a dream. Yes, there are some stories about disaster fuel pump grenades and emissions system troubles, but considering how many of these newer diesels you see on the road, it's not nearly as big of a problem as the internet would lead you to believe. Ford has a 5 year/100,000 warranty on the diesel...so as long as you don't dump contaminated fuel into the tank, you should have good coverage.

I don't think there is a wrong choice, but it's definitely a choice. I'm more than happy with my choice.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:18 PM   #19
crl

Chevy 2500HD Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
crl, we are considering one of those trucks like you bought. Can you please tell me which wheels you have? 17, 18, or 20 inch? Also what gear do you pull in on the freeway? Our current TV will do 5th gear on flat ground with no wind, but drops to 4th gear pretty easily. When that happens, there goes the gas mileage!
As far as the OPs question I can only tell of my own experience. In the last 20+ years, I have needed 4wheel drive 1 time. That is 3 trucks. In my case calling a wrecker would be much cheaper. With locking differentials I never get stuck. Working on Semi trucks for a career, I have no use for the diesel with this level of the EPA, having fixed a lot of that stuff. Jay
Our Chevy has 18” tires. When pulling at highway speeds unless on a grade, it runs in high gear. Keep in mind my normal speed while towing is 63 mph, I just don’t hurry much anymore. I just set the cruise control and let it go. If I go up a hill or grade it will downshift one gear and then drop back into high. No hard shifting or high rpms.

Your results could certainly be different depending on weight and setup of your TV. I use a Husky Centerline WDH and get no sway or movement in the wind unless the wind is extremely high. Still no sway, you can just feel the wind a bit.

I retired from the oilfield and always drove a 4x4, but used it VERY rarely, and then only in extremely muddy situations. We bought this truck as a tow vehicle and daily driver, it will rarely be off the asphalt. The 2 wheel drive is fine for our situation. I also use extreme caution to make sure I am not pulling a TT when ice or snow is possible.

In addition, our silver 2500HD matches the graphics on our White Hawk. Might as well look good too right.

Best of luck in your search. Let us know how it turns out.
crl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by crl View Post
Our Chevy has 18” tires.[...]
Yikes! I have bigger tires than that on my riding lawnmower. Most of these trucks will look downright silly with anything south of 33”.
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote