Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-30-2022, 11:04 AM   #1

Norcold N8X Not Cooling

This is more of a journey in my steps, and a general How Did They Miss This???

We just took delivery of our 22 White Hawk 29BH, absolutely love it, but finding the little things that need to be fixed. Leaving on Friday for a 4 day trip, turned on the fridge (AC) Wednesday morning, and 12 hours later it was still hot. No flashing error codes, everything looked to be working. Switch over to propane, maybe it is a failure in the AC system. Propane fired up for its first run, and ran all night. 12 hours later, fridge is still hot.

I open the maintenance panel and can tell that the unit is running, the elements are hot, and the cubby is hot. So bad air flow? I have a small cordless fan I put into the cubby to circulate air. Looking up into the cubby I see no other fans, but nothing looks to be blocking air flow. Start thinking that possibly a hornets nest was built in the 3 weeks we've owned it and is blocking to upper exhaust.

But guess what I dont have! A roof top exhaust vent. It is a gas/electric fridge, so it needs to vent. I call Jayco, and get a copy of the roof schematics, and sure enough, there is supposed to be a roof vent for the fridge. So now we get to go camping in our brand new, very expensive TT, and no fridge...

If you have any issues with your new trailer and the fridge not cooling, take a few steps back and look up, make sure you have a roof vent. By the schematics it should be about 12x24 in, kind of hard to miss unless you work on the assembly line.
Razer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 04:58 PM   #2

Oh my, what a mistake! I'm sure the line bounces back and fourth from 12V fridges, to 2-way, to 3-way or supply chain issues. Sounds like your unit was set up for a 12V fridge. OOPS!
1911Garand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:45 PM   #3

That is what my thinking was. Per vin, I have the correct fridge installed. So someone got the wrong memo for what roof they were to design for that run.
Razer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:00 PM   #4

"Hi! Me in charge of Jayco Quality Control, Just invent fire! Burnt tongue thingy!"

Pretty tough call on the quality on that one. Lucky you didn't have a fire!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:21 PM   #5
Site Team

It looks like the dealer didn't check all the on-board systems before you picked it up. I still have the check-off sheet that came with ours that the tech handed us at the PDI. Temperature values for the A/C, furnace, fridge and water heater, including functionality of everything else, inside and out.

We did have one previous dealer promise to check over a used pop up we were buying years ago. No new battery, thermostat wires pulled apart, and the best thing was the missing tire valve on the (very flat) spare tire. They're not in business any more.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote