Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2019, 06:22 AM   #1

Observation Camera

Hello All!
I have a 2018 29BHDB and the manual says it’s “pre-wired” for a camera. There is a hook up in the master as well. I assume that the wire was in or near the rear marker lights (I would guess the center based on the factory installed cameras I have seen) has anyone installed a Furion? Any advise would be appreciated... many thanks.
gtafair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:00 AM   #2

I'm not familiar with the hook-up in the master but if it's prewired for a Furrion there should be a Furrion mount at the rear of the trailer in the center just below the roof. You remove a couple of screws that hold a small cover and there should be a wire with the connector to attached to the Furrion camera. You plug in the camera and the screws that were holding the cover would be used to mount the camera.

I'm not sure if a switch in the master has to be activated to get power to the camera or if that switch is an alternative means of powering the camera. I'm sure someone else will chime in to clarify that.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:09 AM   #3

The pre-wire is a bit of a joke to me. My 28BHBE came prewired but there is no mount or indication of where to drill in the siding to mount the camera. My TT did not come with a pre-installed mount like some of the others were shipped with. It appears (at least in my case) the pre-wire is just a constant hot wire tucked under the center clearance light. I'm looking into options for a cheaper wired or wireless backup camera to install than the Furion. The YouTube guy that does Big Truck Big Rv has had good success with a wireless camera for about $250.

Here is a thread on camera installs...there are others. https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...era-50895.html
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
I'm not familiar with the hook-up in the master but if it's prewired for a Furrion there should be a Furrion mount at the rear of the trailer in the center just below the roof. You remove a couple of screws that hold a small cover and there should be a wire with the connector to attached to the Furrion camera. You plug in the camera and the screws that were holding the cover would be used to mount the camera.

I'm not sure if a switch in the master has to be activated to get power to the camera or if that switch is an alternative means of powering the camera. I'm sure someone else will chime in to clarify that.
There is a usb receptacle in the master BR that says “observation camera” the manual says it’s pre-wired but not specifically for Furion. Since I posted this I removed my center marker light and found what appears to be a power cable for it. I’ll hook a MM to it and see. Thanks for the input!
Attached Thumbnails
154C79CD-8C7E-43BD-BDEC-8B5F769B1CA6.jpg  
Old 04-16-2019, 08:19 AM   #5

Thanks!!
Old 04-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtafair View Post
There is a usb receptacle in the master BR that says “observation camera” the manual says it’s pre-wired but not specifically for Furion. Since I posted this I removed my center marker light and found what appears to be a power cable for it. I’ll hook a MM to it and see. Thanks for the input!
This is not what I was thinking of when the term prewired is mentioned. My unit not only had the Furrion mounting bracket already attached but the wire with the appropriated connector attached so you could just plug it into the Furrion camera.

That said I opted to go with a different system, cut the Furrion plug off, spliced the wires to the camera I was going to use and drilled new mounting holes for the bracket that came with that unit I purchased. Then I sealed everything up with Dicor.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
This is not what I was thinking of when the term prewired is mentioned. My unit not only had the Furrion mounting bracket already attached but the wire with the appropriated connector attached so you could just plug it into the Furrion camera.

That said I opted to go with a different system, cut the Furrion plug off, spliced the wires to the camera I was going to use and drilled new mounting holes for the bracket that came with that unit I purchased. Then I sealed everything up with Dicor.

Yep, this is the way mines come in so all I did was unscrew four screws put in the plug and I was good to go but it's not too hard to installed.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #8

Complete

Installed the new Furion camera.. super easy and works great.
Attached Thumbnails
282441BD-A106-4035-A628-EA514DF7B318.jpg   4D1C0C50-DEAB-475B-85C5-40D897868033.jpg  

Tags
camera, furion, observation