Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2017, 06:23 AM   #21

Roger, I am wondering if you have learned anything since your post. Is the flooring deteriorated or is it in need of a support? I believe there are ways to build support braces underneath the floor. I am preparing to remove the plastic enclosure/cover to reveal the floor, frame, and substructure. I am going to look for weak points in the design and material and consider ways to strengthen the floor support. Also, while I am at it, I intend to check all of the tank fasteners and supports. I hope you are getting some help.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
Roger, I am wondering if you have learned anything since your post. Is the flooring deteriorated or is it in need of a support? I believe there are ways to build support braces underneath the floor. I am preparing to remove the plastic enclosure/cover to reveal the floor, frame, and substructure. I am going to look for weak points in the design and material and consider ways to strengthen the floor support. Also, while I am at it, I intend to check all of the tank fasteners and supports. I hope you are getting some help.
Are you having issues or just being proactive? Keep us informed on what you do.

Thanks
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:19 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
Are you having issues or just being proactive? Keep us informed on what you do.

Thanks
Given the facts about the under-built materials and shoddy assembly practices (especially ultra-lights), I am being proactive. I want to see the substructure and the tank assemblage for myself.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Given the facts about the under-built materials and shoddy assembly practices (especially ultra-lights), I am being proactive. I want to see the substructure and the tank assemblage for myself.
If your still in your warranty period any modifications may affect that.

It's good to check anyway and when you have the underbelly down, I'd take some photos for future reference.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:01 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
If your still in your warranty period any modifications may affect that.

It's good to check anyway and when you have the underbelly down, I'd take some photos for future reference.
It is still under warranty. I will look and assess for now and make any needed mods after warranty. However, I really could not care less about warranties. They are a joke in nearly every situation that I have ever been in with them. Warranties are just a marketing tool and money maker (extended) that manufacturers hold over us as they toy with our fears. I do not even listen to the sales and factory people when they spew about them.

I only allow a dealer to touch our vehicles for recalls and major issues. Building floor supports is something that I would never trust to a dealer or the factory that did a cruddy job to begin with. I am going to use the next year to make my plan for the floor supports (if needed). First step is to assess the situation. I will properly fasten the tanks if the doodaws monkey-rigged them.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:22 AM   #26

Quote:
It is still under warranty. I will look and assess for now and make any needed mods after warranty. However, I really could not care less about warranties. They are a joke in nearly every situation that I have ever been in with them. Warranties are just a marketing tool and money maker (extended) that manufacturers hold over us as they toy with our fears. I do not even listen to the sales and factory people when they spew about them.

I only allow a dealer to touch our vehicles for recalls and major issues. Building floor supports is something that I would never trust to a dealer or the factory that did a cruddy job to begin with. I am going to use the next year to make my plan for the floor supports (if needed). First step is to assess the situation. I will properly fasten the tanks if the doodaws monkey-rigged them.
I'm with you about doing work on my TT. Anything I can do, I will, and have.

The quality of building and repairs of RV's has slid along way in the wrong direction.

I'm from the old school, if you have time do it twice, you had time to do it right the first time.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:20 AM   #27

I too had soft areas in my RV. SEVERAL AREAS. It was after the extended warranty. I went to the dealer from where I purchased it and even though they were sympathetic, it was out of warranty. The correct fix short of ripping out the composite floor is bracing under the floor. I do like to do modifications in RV however as a full timer I do not have the space to preform either. So, the DW and I bit the big one looked for a tongue and groove fitted RV. We have now, great peace of mind that we did this and do not regret loosing the money on the trade-in. Our dealer did quote us a great price on the new NP. There are great looking RVs out there that are tongue and grove fitted and are half ton towable.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:06 PM   #28

Quote:
No update yet. We've been away on a 2-week camping outing, just returned. I have an appt. with the dealer the 1st week of Oct. to check the floor under warranty, so I don't plan to do anything myself until then. My TT has the plastic sheet underbelly cover, so I'm waiting. The worst soft spot is in the bathroom right in front of the toilet, and I *GUARANTEE* the black tank is directly under it. Bracing the rest (if I have to) doesn't scare me, so we'll see where it goes with the dealer. They have given me wonderful support so far, and I don't expect that to change. They also made very concerned noises when I called them about this, which also gives me some comfort, for the moment at least.

Thanks to all!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
No update yet. We've been away on a 2-week camping outing, just returned. I have an appt. with the dealer the 1st week of Oct. to check the floor under warranty, so I don't plan to do anything myself until then. My TT has the plastic sheet underbelly cover, so I'm waiting. The worst soft spot is in the bathroom right in front of the toilet, and I *GUARANTEE* the black tank is directly under it. Bracing the rest (if I have to) doesn't scare me, so we'll see where it goes with the dealer. They have given me wonderful support so far, and I don't expect that to change. They also made very concerned noises when I called them about this, which also gives me some comfort, for the moment at least.

Thanks to all!

Roger
Thank you for the update. We will be interested to know how the process goes. Way to keep camping!
Old 10-24-2018, 10:59 PM   #30

Hope your problem is resolved. We had this issue on a 2015 Whitehawk 27 dsrl, turns out to be a manufacturing defect where the joints in the flooring do not line up with the floor crossbeams. Our dealer did an extensive warranty approved surgery to repair and now our floor is solid. Jayco is very well aware of this issue and I suggest anyone with this problem pursue it.
Yes, Jayco had shown specs for the 2015 Whitehawk flooring as 5/8 t & g plywood but it was not. They removed that spec from the website after a few warranty hits.
Midicat60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #31

We sold our trailer with bonded flooring before problems could start (2 yrs) the floor is a strong as plywood as long as it bonded, the problem is most glues are water based, if it gets wet it will separate, then you are walking on 2” styrofoam without much support. Our dealers advise was not to get it wet..... really
rarobo is offline   Reply With Quote