Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-27-2019, 07:53 PM   #1

roof cleaning & treatment

so i'm taking my camper 2018 Jayco 264BH for bearing maintenance and to have some things fixed under warranty next saturday. what do you think about letting them clean and treat the roof ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	roof.png
Views:	27
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	54392
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:08 PM   #2

I guess it comes down to how much they are going to charge. It's about a three hour job for me not counting the wait time to let the roof dry after I clean it. The dicor cleaner and conditioner is about $50 for a gallon of each (1 gallon of each can get you two or three cleaning/conditioning cycles).

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:28 PM   #3

What does Dicor cleaner and conditioner do for your roof?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:44 PM   #4

I did mine for the first time a couple months ago. Bought the camco 2 step system. Pressure washed it, then scrubbed it with a brush and step number 1 cleaner. Let it dry for a couple hours and the used a mop to put on step number 2 which is the protectant. Seamed to do a pretty good job. The instructions say you can put a second coat on after the first coat dries. I went up to put a second coat on a couple hours later and felt like I was walking on ice. Checked it a week later and was still uncomfortable. Figured I’d give it some time for the second coat The Camco package is about $50 for I think 3 applications. So how comfortable are you on your roof? $189, I might be thinking about it.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
What does Dicor cleaner and conditioner do for your roof?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dicor-Rubber-Roof-Cleaner-with-1-Gal-Refill-RP-RC-1GL/310812064

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dicor-1-Gal-Rubber-Roof-Protectant-RP-RG-1GL/310531992
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:32 AM   #6

TPO roof? if so check mfg.. of material, no need to treat it. if you are interested in cleaning it for cosmetic reasons the mfg. recommends MURPHY'S OIL SOAP. no need to apply any kind of sealant. TPO IS A great material. no issues in 7 yrs on our tt
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
TPO roof? if so check mfg.. of material, no need to treat it. if you are interested in cleaning it for cosmetic reasons the mfg. recommends MURPHY'S OIL SOAP. no need to apply any kind of sealant. TPO IS A great material. no issues in 7 yrs on our tt
Its a white rubber roof of some kind. not sure the brand.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:27 AM   #8

Jayco said my roof is Diflex II a non-fleece backed TPO membrane from Dicor
Old 10-28-2019, 08:58 AM   #9

Your dealer just wants your money.

I have a 2018, 26BH with the same roof. Clean it with Spic and Span. Don't worry about getting it perfectly white, just get the stuff off that will run down the side of your trailer and create black streaks.

There is no "treatment" for that roof that has any real benefit.

You may want to consider removing all the Dicor sealant (plastic putty knife), and replace it with Eternabond tape. If you're not familiar with this, search this site and elsewhere. Main purpose of the roof is to keep water out, and the Eternabond does a much better job than the Dicor sealant.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post

I have a 2018, 26BH with the same roof. Clean it with Spic and Span. Don't worry about getting it perfectly white, just get the stuff off that will run down the side of your trailer and create black streaks.

You may want to consider removing all the Dicor sealant (plastic putty knife), and replace it with Eternabond tape. If you're not familiar with this, search this site and elsewhere. Main purpose of the roof is to keep water out, and the Eternabond does a much better job than the Dicor sealant.
X2, I just wash with Dawn Dish soap. I too applied Eternabond tape (6"), but I applied it right over the existing Dicor. I no longer have any concerns about the caulk failing. I still periodically check for roof damage.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post

I agree with your assessment... Dicor website says no special treatment is required for Diflex II TPO.. I also use spic and span.. Sometimes I will put down a light coat of 303 protectant with a sponge mop, bot it's not necessary.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilbert View Post
so i'm taking my camper 2018 Jayco 264BH for bearing maintenance and to have some things fixed under warranty next saturday. what do you think about letting them clean and treat the roof ?

Attachment 54392
Not positive, but I suspect that the “special detergent” ingredients might include snake oil. I X2 washing with Dawn and a good inspection. Eternabond when necessary.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:13 AM   #13

where is the best place to get the Eternabond tape to cover the calk. and what is the best size width and about how long of a piece is needed.
Thank you,
Gary
Old 11-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #14

Quote:
where is the best place to get the Eternabond tape to cover the calk. and what is the best size width and about how long of a piece is needed.
Thank you,
Gary
I have not used the eternabond tape yet but you can find it on Amazon in multiple widths. Seems like a lot of people really like it. I plan on putting it on this winter while I am in Florida.
B&W Companion 5th Wheel

Centerville,TN
backpack1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #15

For what it's worth - my CC 5th is at a repair shop in Indiana for warranty work and enhancements. The shop is close to the factory who sent me there for the warranty work as they work closely with them.

I questioned the owner on cleaning and treating my roof and he recommended to only use mild soap on it. He told me that the roof should last me 12 years or more, but it was up to me whether or not to treat it. I think I'm going to take his advice.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:43 PM   #16

Never done anything w my roofs other than inspect for old cracked caulk areas.
I’d have to read my manual again but I don’t think Jayco requires “treatments” of any kind.
Roof inspection-yes, couple times a year they say.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #17

roof cleaning

don't waste your $$$$ no need to clean too roof. the only people that see it are flying over.. mfg. recommendation if you must clean is Murpheys oil soap. owner rev's for 30 yrs and never had to clean roof/no need to.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #18

waste of time money and ressources ...

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:52 PM   #19

NO! Do it yourself. Dawn, warm water and a long-handled car wash brush is all you need. Dicor rubber roofs do not need to be “treated” with anything. I’m assuming you are able-bodied. If not, hire a teen to scrub it.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Thank you,
Gary

Walmart on-line appears to have the real deal, real Eternabond, not a knock-off, for cheaper than Amazon. Have not purchased from Walmart, but will next time. Have used Eternabond from Amazon (2" - 2.5" hail split the roof fabric in three places, a night to remember, Memorial Day 2019, Ogallala, Nebraska) and the sealer works really well. Just takes some practice to use - and have a roller ready. I plan to Eternabond the back edge of my roof fabric in the spring.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote