Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2023, 09:09 AM   #1

RV Generator Use

My son just bought a new Grand Design Transcend Travel trailer. It will eventually be in a permanent setup alongside our Jayco on our family property.

Once we know actually where it will be located, we'll contract to have an electric pole installed and run power to it. In the interim it will require a genny.

When we first bought our RV we used an inverter generator. My son had a very large contractor's generator but it's not an inverter. Other than the added noise, is there a reason this wouldn't work? Any problems with the sensitive electrical components in the RV?

TIA for any help.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:31 AM   #2

Does that trailer have their onecommand system (like JayCommand) or anything like that?

If not the main issues might be the AC (air conditioning), specifically with the motors. The TV might also possibly be impacted. I believe most other systems will be off 12v or the converter which will clean that up in its conversion. But that converter might, possibly be damaged as well.

As I understand it a (I'm not a generator expert) contractor grade generator just produces AC (alternating current) power, it does not vary its speed etc. it runs at one speed, on.. A Inverter generator will regulate its speed based upon the load being pulled/demanded from it.

A Inverter generator will also produce "clean"/stable 60hz power (like most houses), where the non-inverted will fluctuate or what's called "dirty". Its this fluctuation that might cause harm as it could be a surge or a "brown out" (not the toilet type, just have to clarify that )

Along with the noise and weight the fuel efficiency will also be different.

Thats basically it.. the main reason for an inverter would be clean power for computers, TVs, motors etc. "Dirty" power is hard on them and can cause issues or burn them up.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:38 AM   #3

When the power went out at our house last year for 24hr I fired up both my 3000W generators. One is inverter, one is not.

The microwave in the kitchen would not even run when plugged into the contractor style generator; it ran normally when plugged into the inverter generator.

This experience summed it up perfectly. Inverter generators are absolutely the way to go for many reasons.
Old 01-24-2023, 11:02 AM   #4

Does the 4000W Generator that comes in the Greyhawk (2018) have clean or dirty power that you have talked about ??
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:28 AM   #5

@Florida Ranger, if its an onboard generator those should be inverter type generators. i.e. a Onan or Yamaha etc.. they would/should be clean power.
Old 01-24-2023, 11:42 AM   #6

Just FYI, the onboard Onan generators are not inverter based. However, clean or dirty power is directly related to the quality of any generator and the Onan's are for the most part a good quality product.

Generally speaking inverter based generators have the "cleanest" power output overall, but standard generators can also have clean power. It is very hard to know if a generator has clean or dirty power without an oscilloscope or without actual usage and\or experiencing issues that occur with the generator but not with shore power.

In any case, most name brand generators output clean enough usable power except when reaching the upper limits of their rated capacity. ~CA
Old 01-24-2023, 12:26 PM   #7

Craigav, thanks for that info! I assumed, which I know is bad, at the OEMs would use inverted generators. But now that I think of it the ones I have been around always just run and do not variate in their speed and they usually are loud.

Why the heck do those cost so much then? (now Im just shaking my head thinking about the cheapness of RV mfg's...)
Old 01-24-2023, 12:40 PM   #8

I suspect the price is high because there isn't any (that I am aware of) competitors for generators designed to operate within the confines of an RV. I also suspect that if some of the other major generator/inverter manufactures did design a drop-in replacement for RV's that was inverter based, that they would be very popular and RV generator prices overall would come way down due to the competition. ~CA
Old 01-24-2023, 12:40 PM   #9

RE: non-inverter generators. You get what you pay for. I have a Honda EM6500SX. It's not an inverter, so the power is not as clean as an inverter, however the power is 'cleaner' then a typical contractor grade genny banging away on the jobsite. I'd put it right up there w/ the Onans that are included in motorized units. I have no problems running anything on my Honda.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I suspect the price is high because there isn't any (that I am aware of) competitors for generators designed to operate within the confines of an RV. I also suspect that if some of the other major generator/inverter manufactures did design a drop-in replacement for RV's that was inverter based, that they would be very popular and RV generator prices overall would come way down due to the competition. ~CA
I've seen these in some motorized:

Yamaha RV inverter

Old 01-24-2023, 05:24 PM   #11

Harbor freight has inverter generators in their Predator line. Folks seem to think they’re decent…
Old 01-24-2023, 06:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
Harbor freight has inverter generators in their Predator line. Folks seem to think they’re decent…
We don't want to BUY a new genny, just see if the one we have would work. It was used as a backup at the HOUSE in case of a power outage.

This would only be a short term need, until the contractor can get the power pole put in.

Since it seems like the contractor version would be iffy, maybe we'll just use the genny to power a battery charger when / if needed.

Thanks for all the comments.
Old 01-25-2023, 08:05 AM   #13

There's a lot of hokum in this thread!

Your contractor generator will work fine as a power source for your RV. It may, however, not power everything at once (such as your microwave while the A.C. is running). That depends on the power output of the genny.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:03 AM   #14

I don't know about Hokum ... I have first hand experience using a Subaru 7500 contractor grade generator running my house for years. Every time I connected it, my lights in the house would pulse quickly; the Subaru wasn't putting out a clean wave. My Subaru bit the dust and I replaced it w/ the aforementioned Honda. No more pulses, and you'd never know the house was running on genny power.

Oh, and the Honda is much quieter, but that's not relevant to this particular convo.

Old 01-25-2023, 09:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I've seen these in some motorized:

Yamaha RV inverter
Forest River products use the Yamaha inverter generators
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:50 AM   #16

Inverter generators produce cleaner sinewaves and are quieter. Even the use of open-frame contractor generators on your house circuits can cause minor issues with electronics like TVs.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 02:15 PM   #17

Not to mess anyone up.

But you get what you pay for. And all have pros and cons.

I think temporary the generator will be fine.

I can explain more if anyone want me to.

But in short, I work at a place that has multiple generation stations that feed the power grid and none of them are inverters and put out pure sine wave. Inverters put out electronically made 60 cycles sine waves that can be not so pure, but close enough in the more expensive.
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 02:20 PM   #18

Thanks for all the suggestions. I passed them along to my son and he found a good deal on an inverter so he bought it. It will be used until the pole is put in, and then sell it. (just like I did)
Old 01-28-2023, 07:44 PM   #19

Go with an inverter due to the cleaner power output. I've used Predator generators and they are good. With our newer TT, I upgraded to 2 Honda 2200i (main and companion) - super quite and with the SoftStart I installed for the AC, I can run the 80% of the RV with AC running with only 1 generator. Need 2 connected to run absolutely everything.

Also use them to help around the house when we lose power to run the deep freeze and extra frig and the neighbors don't hear them at all
mlumia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 11:34 AM   #20

All generators invert the power and will not harm your Rv wether u buy one from Costco, Walmart or the pricy ones from Honda ,Yamaha etc . Most 4000 watt generators are pretty quiet as well . Quiet is good .if you need 50 amp than it might be a little noicy
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote