Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2020, 12:04 PM   #1

Should I upgrade my tow vehicle?

Looking at the new Jay Feather Micro 166fbs that's coming out. Looks like it would suit our needs a lot more and I love the azdel walls and torsion suspension.
We currently have a 174bh baja, dry weight 3000lbs loaded 3750lbs. Tows great. We have a 2016 toyota tacoma w/ towing package. Tow capacity is 6400lbs.

The new 166fbs is 4000lbs dry and 5000lbs loaded. Would you guys say this is unsafe to tow with my tacoma?
xizowudao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizowudao View Post
Looking at the new Jay Feather Micro 166fbs that's coming out. Looks like it would suit our needs a lot more and I love the azdel walls and torsion suspension.
We currently have a 174bh baja, dry weight 3000lbs loaded 3750lbs. Tows great. We have a 2016 toyota tacoma w/ towing package. Tow capacity is 6400lbs.

The new 166fbs is 4000lbs dry and 5000lbs loaded. Would you guys say this is unsafe to tow with my tacoma?
Unsafe, I doubt it, unenjoyable highly likely. I never want to get to a campsite, or home from one, feeling more stressed than before I left to go in the first place. A bigger truck that is properly equipped will make your trips far more relaxed. Remember a truck is a tool! Get the right tool for the job you are asking it to do.

Andy, Sherrie, Dixie, and Daisy
2020 Jayco 336FBOK Modern Farmhouse
2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 SRW Duramax 10 speed GM/ Allison
CURT Q20 on R20 Slider
AndyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:32 PM   #3

I wouldn't worry about it, tbh it's more than enough truck to handle the small load. If you are worried about it I would buy the trailer and see how it tow's. If you don't like it or are uncomfortable and have expendable income trade up.
I was pulling my 3k dry trailer with my Sante fe 3500lb capacity. It drove it no problem with a WDH. Never had an issue wind, hills nothing. But I wasn't comfortable with it being above my tow capacity once I added my gear and people. So I traded up to a 5k tow and it towed it the same but I knew it was capable of towing it so I was comfortable.
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:43 PM   #4

I have a Jay Feather X213 which fully loaded is 5400 lbs (cat scale visit). My TV is a Lexus GX 460 with a 6500 lb towing capacity. I feel this is pretty similar to your situation. We live in Denver and bought the trailer in April. We have towed to Texas and back as well have been all over Colorado, mountain passes and all. On flat land, it’s like nothing is back there. Strong head winds and you’ll feel it. Climbing steep grades, it takes all the power she has got, but I can keep 55-60 mph on the steepest grades and normal speeds anywhere else. Temps are good as well (I monitor everything via Bluetooth OBDII plug and phone app). I did have a transmission cooler added. I was nervous at first but the GX has proven capable. With the WDH set right, I feel perfectly safe with the family. Perfect world, I would have a bit more power for the mountains but I am very happy with what I have.
cwalker022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:50 AM   #5

Thanks all for the replies. If i do go ahead with this then I'll try it first in my tacoma and if its really bad then I'll seriously consider a new TV. cheers everyone
Old 10-01-2020, 06:32 AM   #6

I towed a 2019 184BH with a 2019 Tacoma with the 6sp manual, that I figured was about 4300 when we were heading out to camp. I had really only one issue towing with the Tacoma; the shocking lack of low end power, which made starting on hills a bit tricky. However, that may have been a function of the manual transmission, I doubt an automatic would have the same issue.

But other than that it made an excellent tow vehicle, despite not being designed to tow. On the highway I never had any issues holding speed, the engine was working, but it's a small V6, not a diesel, so expect so high rpms on steep grades. Towing mpg was decent as well, 11-13 on average.

Only when we upgraded to a 264BH, for more space, did the truck feel overmatched. But this trailer weighs about 2k more than the 184BH, which put its well over its payload and pretty close, if not exceeding, the tow capacity. At which point I got a used F350 diesel to tow with.
Super Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:48 AM   #7

Rule 1: Payload. Read your vehicle's tow capacity, write it on a piece of paper, and then go burn that piece of paper. With few exceptions, a person will run out of payload (just a proxy for GVWR) long before they come close to the supposed tow rating. This is particularly true with 1/2 ton trucks and lower.

Rule 2: Ignore dry weights of these small trailers. The only thing that matters is GVWR, as that's what you'll be towing. You correctly stated that it would be 5,000 lbs loaded and that's the only thing that matters.

With that said, you should start with your TV's payload. You'll find this on your door jamb sticker. You cannot look up payload on the internet, as you'll just get a silly max payload for your vehicle that has no bearing on reality. Payload is a vehicle-specific number.

Then, just build your load with simple math. A single axle trailer will be a bit tongue heavy, so figure 12-15% on the hitch. 5000*.13 = 650. Add 50 for the WDH.

I'll assume just two people, no kids, no pets. 350 lbs for an average, fully clothed couple.

So, you have 1,050 lbs on your truck before you've even tossed a stick of wood in the bed or a bottle of water in the cab for the drive. Most people are going to have another 200 lbs of wood, tools, gear, electronics, accessories, bags, food, and other stuff in or on the vehicle.

So, I'd say that as long as your Taco had 1,300 lbs of available payload, you'll be within your towing limits.

As for comfort and other things, others have commented above and I can't help there.
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:56 AM   #8

Quote:

it's unsafe.. there now you can go to the better half and say hey it's unsafe we need a new truck.. and go buy a new truck... see how easy that is??? I can spend other peoples money with the best of them... .

what is the payload of you tacoma? that is the real question...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:33 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip......If i do go ahead with this then I'll try it first in my tacoma and if its really bad then I'll seriously consider a new TV.......snip
If you still want to confirm your TV's actual "available" payload capacity, take it to a CAT scale ($9 & 3 minutes) and weigh it under loaded conditions (full fuel, passengers, etc.)...., thus the weigh-in will include personal upgrades like a bed cap, auxiliary fuel tank, etc., if you have them.

(Your Tacoma GVWR) - (CAT Scale weight) = Available Payload Capacity

OR........

When you have your new TT, take your TV/TT combination under "loaded" conditions (typical ready to camp) to a CAT scale for a complete weigh-in. You will then know if there are any specified weight issues, tongue weight, WDH adjustment, etc..

CAT Scale how-to: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...v-tt-3871.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
it's unsafe.. there now you can go to the better half and say hey it's unsafe we need a new truck.. and go buy a new truck... see how easy that is??? I can spend other peoples money with the best of them... .

what is the payload of you tacoma? that is the real question...
Hahah you read my mind!!!
Then payload in my Tacoma is only 950lbs which is pathetic . The tongue weight of the new 166fbs is already 500lbs and once I have people and dogs in the truck there’s basically no room for any cargo. Since I made this thread I’ve put a deposit down on the new f150 hybrid power boost! New trailer arriving in December and new truck in January. Can’t wait!