Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2018, 09:58 AM   #1

Sky lights

As my 2016 is in its 3rd summer, I’m becoming a bit concerned with the sky lights becoming brittle because of the UV rays.
I’m thinking of coating them with something. Flex seal or the like.

Has anyone proactively coated their sky lights? Or am I worried about nothing and should just leave them be.

Regards,
Loco
Old 08-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
Site Team

Our skylight is on year 6. Each spring and fall when I do the roof, I high-pressure was the sky-light along with the roof. It goes from a foggy dark yellow to a slightly off-white color. Amazing how much more light makes it into the shower area.

As for any concerns, it is located directly above our bathtub so if it does crack or break, the water will be in the tub and out the gray-water tank drain. I would not lose any sleep over it. Just check the caulking around it and any other caulking on the roof at least 2x a year.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Our skylight is on year 6. Each spring and fall when I do the roof, I high-pressure was the sky-light along with the roof. It goes from a foggy dark yellow to a slightly off-white color. Amazing how much more light makes it into the shower area.

As for any concerns, it is located directly above our bathtub so if it does crack or break, the water will be in the tub and out the gray-water tank drain. I would not lose any sleep over it. Just check the caulking around it and any other caulking on the roof at least 2x a year.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR

Thanks.
I have one in the kitchen also which concerns me a bit. One above the toilet too, but that one is covered with a maxxair vent cover
Old 08-28-2018, 06:18 AM   #4

I have 2 as well and have also had the same concern. I suppose it may be wise to keep a good cleaner and fresh duct tape handy. My 28dsbh has a roof ladder. Another reason to inspect the roof several times a year.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:48 AM   #5

My Winnebago had a skylight over the shower that started leaking on year two. The leaks were caused by the caulking pulling away from the skylight. Like Mustang said, it just leaked into the shower so it was no big deal as long as it was dealt with quickly. Eternabond cured the problem.

As for the skylight becoming brittle and breaking on my current Jayco, I also have that concern. I just make sure to never put any pressure on it. I have no plans to treat it with anything but will just deal with it when/if it does break. I also consider the fact that there's a lot of vent covers out there that have been exposed for a lot of years and I don't recall any complaints of them breaking.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:55 AM   #6

We full time in Florida and when i clean my roof 2 times per year I use nufinish on the sky light first to remove the grime and then i spray 303 protectant on the skylight and its 5 years old and still looks new.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:11 AM   #7

X2 on using Aerospace 303 on the skylight after you clean it. Have applied it twice a season on our last 4 campers that had skylights and never had a problem with them getting brittle. As long as I'm on the roof I also apply it to our roof vent covers.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:01 AM   #8

I replaced the skylight on our Jayco because I was concerned about the plastic becoming brittle; I had visions of hailstorm damage causing a leak and water damage. I've spent hours making sure the seams on the roof and sides of the trailer (including all penetrations of the roof membrane or "fiberglas" on the sides) are as water tight as I can make them. A hailstorm is not in infrequent event where we camp a lot -- west Texas.

I replaced our acrylic, brittle, yellowed skylight with one constructed of polycarbonate. Much thinker plastic, and I believe much more resistant to sun damage.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:01 AM   #9

Never thought about 303on sky light will do this weekend! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:41 AM   #10

RV hiker,
Glad to know there is a better product out there for the skylights.

I'm reminded that on a 4 year old Roo 23SS we had, I replaced an original vent cover and my slide out topper canvas ... only after about 4 years!! They were amazingly brittle. The replacements for both seemed more durable.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:41 AM   #11

I wonder why the fan is not over the shower instead of a sky light. I would think that pulling the moisture out of the shower would be more effective than a fan over the toilet. Just something that have seen in other camp trailers that we have owned.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:11 AM   #12

Just an FYI, the polycarbonate roof on my deck was holed by small hail at year 10.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Just an FYI, the polycarbonate roof on my deck was holed by small hail at year 10.
Brands for these?
Old 08-28-2018, 12:09 PM   #14

Some polycarbonate has UV inhibitors, and some doesn't. Polycarbonate is known for being more impact resistant than acrylic.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabirch View Post
Brands for these?
Sorry, don't have a brand. Just a Home Depot purchase and it was all they had. As for UV protection, I would sure hope so as it's roofing material. However, I didn't really check. It was probably rated more for longevity than having a UV number. When I replaced it, it was a different brand, and once again the only product they had.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke4857 View Post
I wonder why the fan is not over the shower instead of a sky light. I would think that pulling the moisture out of the shower would be more effective than a fan over the toilet. Just something that have seen in other camp trailers that we have owned.
I think, at least in some cases, they use the skylight over the tub/shower to provide a little bit more headroom. One of the reasons we have a Jayco is because they were about the only ones to provide a tub instead of just a shower pan in the smaller units. The tub does raise you a few inches off the floor though. Being a little taller I appreciate the sky light over the tub as I don't have to hunch over.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Never thought about 303on sky light will do this weekend! Thanks

X2

Good tip, as it’s the UV Rays that does the most damage to these.