Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2017, 08:49 PM   #1

Squirrels attacked my LP Lines...Help?

Hi/Help....

2014 Jayco Jayflight Swift 198RD

Just got a new RV site and was parked for about a month, turns out I am in a hickory grove and it is infested with squirrels. They got one of my pigtails, my main LP line (gnawed but not cut), and the LP line to the propane oven/stove top is chewed into (see photo). They even climbed up in the propane cover to get to the pigtail. Very upsetting as it only takes them a minute or so to turn my trailer into a potential bomb. I'm planning on replacing the lines with MB Sturgis stainless steel covered hoses but I gotta find another place as the squirrels have way to many other targets to chew on under the trailer.

Now my dilemma is, the lp line to the over/range cuts across the water tank and heads up into the trailer. There is some foam looking stuff I imagine is there to seal off the inside of the trailer from the outside. Now where I am getting loss is do I need to remove the stove on the inside to get to where this line attaches to the stove? I'm lost and don't want to proceed with removing the line until I know what I am getting into.
Attached Thumbnails
lpline.jpg   pigtail.jpg  
JC_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:12 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
You have to lift the top cover of the stove to access the flare nut and remove the line.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
You have to lift the top cover of the stove to access the flare nut and remove the line.

Ok I was expecting a copper line there and not the hose connecting directly to the stove itself. Took a bit to get the top cover off but I was gentle.

Now am I gonna be able to pull that line straight out the underneath, it almost looks like there is plastic grommet on the hose where it goes into the floor of the trailer?

Looks like I can pull the stove out pretty easily as there are only two screws on each side of the counter holding it in place.
Attached Thumbnails
tostove.jpg   stove-screws.jpg   lpline.jpg  
Old 08-28-2017, 07:05 AM   #4

A friend had over $3,000 in damage to water lines and wiring do to squirrels. Definitely get everything sealed up.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
A friend had over $3,000 in damage to water lines and wiring do to squirrels. Definitely get everything sealed up.
I was a little worried they might get the dog all excited while I was gone when I first leased the site. Then I was sitting in the trailer drinking my morning coffee and was a little amused at the two squirrels jumping 5-6 feet from the ground at a window on another trailer. Then it started raining hickory nut shell remnants all over the place and I seen the squirrel nests then a week later I came back and had to lp service and my tank was empty. I think I can get the park to relocate me to a less intensely overrun area so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Oh and I'm not pleased at all to hear about water lines being damaged, I hadn't thought of that. Electrical yes, water nope....really surprising how vulnerable the underside is.

I pulled the stove and disconnected the lp line. The good news is that the hose slips fairly easily through the entrance point in the trailer floor. So it wasn't cemented in place with sealant foam. I'll just need to make sure to feed some string out with the hose as I remove it so it is easier to get back through that entry hole.

Oh and it never surprised me at how much JUNK like screws, sawdust, pieces of wood, and trash that you find in the interior spaces of campers. That stuff eventually migrates back outside of those closed areas. Just lazy on the part of the manufacturers.
Attached Thumbnails
inside1.jpg   inside2.jpg  
Old 08-28-2017, 01:11 PM   #6

The foam used is pond version FYI.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
The foam used is pond version FYI.
Thanks, I thought it looked a little different from the crack sealing foam.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:25 PM   #8

Fixed for now....

Well I am back in business, this only due to my persistence and loads of time tossed into this problem. If I had waited for the dealer to schedule me some service time it would have been 4 weeks just to look at it and probably a week to fix it. They would have had to order new custom made propane lines and unless I specifically told them to get steel braided lines (which they would have charged me fortune for after having another company make them) then they would have just tossed the neoprene lines on again. So eventually I would repeat this problem a couple times if I parked in this same area for any period of time. I did not call the mobile RV repair guy but being the week heading into Labor Day weekend between him taking his own holiday and other people wanting fixes it probably would have been 2-3 weeks.

The squirrels hit my main line in multiple areas but just opened the line a little. They climbed up into the propane tank cover and chewed through one pigtail. The line to the stove was totally ate through and was just together by a small piece or the hose.

The two new steel braided lines and two steel braided pigtails were $241 with tax. I also lost $32 from two full propane tanks. Purchased another 15 lb tank for $50 during troubleshooting. I purchased two neoprene pigtails, a regulator, lp tank refill, and a 3/8" to 1/2" fitting for $140. That comes up to roughly $465 in parts for the repair. Does not include two lost days of camping, two half days of work/part acquisition, two trips to the closest RV dealer near the RV park (right at 400 miles, 100 each way). So my total nearest guestimate was close $600 cash out of pocket and 3 days of my time.

I still have 3 neoprene lines (water heater, furnace, and refrigerator). I'll have to live with the fear those lines will be attacked plus now I'll also worry about all the water lines and exposed electrical (this would be worse).

If you need a steel braided lp hose, MB Sturgis can hook you up and will ship to you. You'll pay for it though...there are other places also but that is a starting point.

https://mbsturgis.com/

On a side note, there was a older couple probably retired who had pulled into the dealership with an lp problem. For some reason they thought it was the lp shutoff solenoid. They didn't look like they were fixers but I got the impression they were making their way as at least part-time RV'ers and weren't necessarily locals. Dealership sent them on their way (they are booked for service for at least a month) and the sent them to MB Sturgis. Unfortunately for them MB Sturgis isn't a repair shop and really just make lp accessories like pigtails and hoses. I'm guessing they are still without propane service in their motor coach.

Oh and my experience with Jayco which was much better than any other company in the 30 years I've had campers was they emailed me back after 24 hours that I should contact the nearest dealer/service place. Still waiting for the company that recognizes that these things break. That is what they do is break and if you want to use them they need to be fixed. If you want to fix them then you have to do it yourself or you end up financing your waste of time while you wait for service. Then rinse and repeat.....RINSE AND REPEAT.
Attached Thumbnails
braid.jpg  
Old 08-28-2017, 09:02 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I still have the 1/2" steel main pipe and the branches are copper to the appliances. With a flaring tool it is easy to replace the copper lines if the need arises. I guess for the mfg. assembly line it is easier to have ready made materials. Sorry that those little creatures made such a costly mess. For the folks what are depending on service from dealers I feel sorry. I'm glad I can fix everything myself on the road or at home.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote