Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2021, 01:23 PM   #21

This is my first winter with a trailer and I've left the stabilizers up so far, but I've been considering lowering them to reduce the load on the wheel bearings even if it's only ever so slightly.

My thinking is that bearings tend to go bad when there's weight on them but no movement for long periods of time.

My stabilizers are 3000lb rated scissors, and the trailer as a whole is 3200lbs. If I were only using the C-shaped stabilizers that came on the trailer then I would definitely pass on the idea. But since these are better ones.. I might do it.
rewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:37 PM   #22

Stabilizers UP! Level as possible. Move unit forward or backward bi-monthly to keep flat spots from forming on tires.
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:58 PM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Jacks between axles, and all stabilizers plus front Jack down. Use RV during winter season. Important is the Jack between the axles!
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:36 PM   #24
SUP

I don't use the stabilizers when I camp. All they are for is so your camper doesn't rock so much when your in it. You don't even really need them if you don't mind some movement. Your wheels and tongue jack are all that is necessary for stability. I don't mind the movement in my camper. Besides, that is just one less thing to be concerned with when setting up or taking down.
SUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:32 PM   #25

Great Information. Thanks for posting the question.
Louque4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Able View Post
We've been parking our new 2021 287BHS (though model isn't critical in this case) at our daughter and son-in-law's place for the winter, until we can clear a spot at our house. Son-in-law's been expressing concern about not utilizing stabilizers when parked, thinking of the weight factor on the jackstand. I say that's not an issue, and would rather store them retracted and out of snow and ice here in NH (if we ever were able to make a quick getaway for a warmer clime, if no other reason!)

Opinions?
Think of it this way when the TT is delivered to the dealer, it might set for months on the lot. Have you ever seen one on the lot with the stab jacks down? I never have. Although I personally would never extend them unless my slides were out, I do not think that it is needed at all. The tongue jack is usually rated at 3500 - 4000 lbs, so there should not be any issues.
Spaceguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUP View Post
I don't use the stabilizers when I camp. All they are for is so your camper doesn't rock so much when your in it. You don't even really need them if you don't mind some movement. Your wheels and tongue jack are all that is necessary for stability. I don't mind the movement in my camper. Besides, that is just one less thing to be concerned with when setting up or taking down.

Unless you have slide outs extended, then they should be out to help support the frame. It's in the Owner's Manual......

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai2160 View Post
Wow! Thanks for asking this question. I always leave my stabilizers down when not in use. Good to know.
I have mine down for the winter but I have braces under the axles to relieve the weight. Just in case.
GipsieJohn is offline   Reply With Quote