Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2015, 10:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
I believe all the Flight series TTs are equipped with an auto change over regulator. If memory serves me correctly, our service tech told me to keep both bottles open if one was running low and it would draw from the other tank when the pressure from the primary tank was too low. There is a pressure indicator on the regulator but it really can't be used to tell how much propane is in the tank...Red indicating no pressure and green indicating pressure is present at the regulator. Only weighing the tank will tell you approximately how much propane is left in the tank.

In the two season we have had out TT (probably used it 30 nights total so far) I've only had to refill one 30 lb bottle once...and I also used it from my propane smoker at home. Using the CGs electric for the water heater and a small space heater on cold nights really helped conserve propane.
+1 on all this.

I will open the secondary tank when I know the primary is getting low. When the regulator senses no pressure from the primary tank, the barber pole turns red and starts drawing off the secondary tank. That's your indication that the primary tank is empty and needs to be filled.

Go out, turn the knob on your regulator so it points to the secondary tank, thereby making it the primary tank, the barber poll will turn green. Then go refill your primary tank and reinstall it, thereby making it your secondary tank. When the barber poll turns red again, rinse and repeat.

We just refilled our first 30 lb cylinder a couple weeks ago and we bought our trailer in October of 2013.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #22

You may get a 2 propane gauges for your tanks works great.check with RV stores.

labracorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:00 PM   #23

The problem with propane gauges is that they tend to read full, then quickly drop to empty

Propane sits as liquid at the bottom of the tank with partial gas above the liquid, keeping the guage satisfied

Once the last of the liquid becomes gas, there is little left in the tank

Even the side mount strips tend to be inaccurate , but are actually more accurate than inline pressure gauges , as they read the temperature of the side wall of the tank. The liquid propane is colder that the gas above it and so it tracks the level of liquid in the tank as it drops

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:09 PM   #24
Site Team

Those after market propane gauges are not accurate. Get a bathroom scale if you want accuracy.

Best indicator is when the flame goes out, it is empty. Just don't forget to fill it as soon as you transfer.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:13 PM   #25

Norty is actually dead right. Weight is the most accurate way to determine volume of liquid propane

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:21 PM   #26

yup true a 30 lb tank weighs that empty add 24 for an 80 percent fill and that equals 54 lbs at 80 percent full ... I think that's all they fill them ..? somebody
Old 03-05-2015, 09:59 PM   #27

The furnace uses more than anything and we have gotten a full season out of 1 30 lb tank using the stove, oven refridge to initially cool it down , and the water heater to do the initial warm on it ... furnace run some the last trip so they last a while
Old 03-05-2015, 10:46 PM   #28

You have two tanks, with an auto switchover.. Get in the habit of once a week looking at the red/green gauge between the tanks. When one is empty it will switch to the other tank. At that point you have time, until the second tank empties. You can add all kinds of gauges, strips ect, but, you still have to check them. You have everything you need, just need to check it once a week.

Once one runs empty you will have a good idea how long they will last. But just check once a week and your all good.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:52 PM   #29

Yes tanks are filled 80% to leave room for expansion. Now days the filing "pumps" automatically shut down when it achieves the proper level, so no more do we have to weigh them to tell how full. Once you get use to them you can pick one up and tell pretty close how much is inside. I had guest's bring them saying I think I'm almost empty, and I could guess within a few 1/10s of how much they actually needed.

A 30 lb tank will last quite a while even when using it for hot water, cooking and heat. If only heat and some cooking probably a month depending on temperatures.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
You have two tanks, with an auto switchover.. Get in the habit of once a week looking at the red/green gauge between the tanks. When one is empty it will switch to the other tank. At that point you have time, until the second tank empties. You can add all kinds of gauges, strips ect, but, you still have to check them. You have everything you need, just need to check it once a week.

Once one runs empty you will have a good idea how long they will last. But just check once a week and your all good.
+1 No need to complicate things with gadgets that don't really work all that well. If you're running dual tanks, this is perfect.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote