Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2024, 12:06 PM   #21

Equal-I-Zer here also.

I got back into camping in 2016 with a new Silverado and a 26' travel trailer. I specified a 10K Equal-I-Zer hitch. I pulled that trailer for over 3 years and never once had a sway issue. I upgraded to a 2020 Jayco Eagle HT 280RSOK and pulled it with my Silverado with an upgraded 14K Equal-I-Zer. I thought I was stretching the limits of the Silverado and went to a GMC 2500HD Denali. I've got over 10K miles on the Jayco and never have had any issue with sway. I've even got bracket jackets on the trailer. Of course, I rarely exceed 60MPH. Semi's pass and the rig is as solid as a rock.

If you look at all the videos on sway on YouTube, you'll see one major contributing factor. Speed! Idiots that end up losing their rig never take their foot off the gas pedal.
hjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 12:18 PM   #22

I used to use an equalizer hitch. My father pulled airstream and always used Hensley hitch. After a couple of not so nice incidents I purchased a Propride. Weight distribution is provided much like all the others. However it doesn't use friction to control sway. It uses geometry. This does a good job of what that means. Model for propride;
P.Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 01:35 PM   #23

Nothing wrong with the Equalizer, towed two years with one. Got along fine, would feel a good cross wind and naturally just slowed down a bit-common sense! However, went to the ProPride and was amazed at how I no longer felt cross winds. Their ad is honest. We are in a fifth wheel now, but if I ever went back to a TT I would definitely get another ProPride.
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 03:01 PM   #24

I was an early purchaser of a propride hitch. It never worked on my Jayco 320rlds Eagle due to the convex nature of the front of the trailer. It was suggested I go to chains, but I had given up a Blue Ox for this expensive hitch and returning to chains was not in the cards for me. It's $2000 just sitting in an RV Barn on a ranch in California right now collecting dust. I went with an equalizer and it was perfect. Of course, I think a major factor in sway control is having an adequate tow vehicle.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:28 PM   #25

I have a 2020 Diesel 1 Ton GMC and the Eagle RSTS330... she's long.

Short answer... yes propride is worth it.

I had the normal friction weight distro/sway control and it worked, but the trailer would still dance a bit over 60

Propride installed, the dance is completely gone, truck and trailer are a unit and easily go at 65 one handed on the steering wheel and be relaxed. For me it was worth the money and a night and day experience.

The way i justified the price... lifetime warranty and I've seen on their facebook page this actually get used without hassle. And tying a 70k truck to a 60k trailer with a 500 dollar hitch just didn't seem right to me and my dog and wife's life is worth more to me.

Not saying its the end all be all for everyone... but for me, only issue i have is I wish I would've done it sooner.
waynehead99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 06:21 AM   #26

The beauty of marketing any safety device is "how can you place a price on the lives of yourself and your loved ones?"

I'll take a bet that everyone here will arrive safely on their next trip, and the one after that. Some will have the latest and greatest of everything but maybe bump up that speed. Someone else may drive just a bit longer than they should. Others may be distracted with their electronics. Yet, we all keep arriving in one piece.
Old 03-24-2024, 08:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
I made the mistake to look at the propride web page and now i see their advertizing everywhere lol. If i beleive what they say ill die on my next trip due to sway not controled by me equalizer 4 .

Im not disputing the quality of their hitch but the fear they are trying to induce is a bit over the top.

Ill knock on wood but i never experienced enough sway to put me in trouble. I have to say that i am paranoiac and i have adjusted my hitch by the book.

Now guys how many of you had to change their underwear due to sway ? And after your investigation what was the cause ? It happened to me only once to become unconfortable behind the steering wheel when we were pushed around by heavy wind gust . Its not fun
I installed an equalizer on my nissan Frontier (23)..I am towing a 27 foot 224BHW
2022 Jay Flight SLX 8 …..today with 30 MPH winds, no problem. I tow at 60mph

I also put a break controller system in that allows me to brake the trailer if I do get bad sway as a fail safe.
Mike3million is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 08:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
I made the mistake to look at the propride web page and now i see their advertizing everywhere lol. If i beleive what they say ill die on my next trip due to sway not controled by me equalizer 4 .

Im not disputing the quality of their hitch but the fear they are trying to induce is a bit over the top.

Ill knock on wood but i never experienced enough sway to put me in trouble. I have to say that i am paranoiac and i have adjusted my hitch by the book.

Now guys how many of you had to change their underwear due to sway ? And after your investigation what was the cause ? It happened to me only once to become unconfortable behind the steering wheel when we were pushed around by heavy wind gust . Its not fun
I installed an equalizer on my nissan Frontier (23)..I am towing a 27 foot 224BHW
2022 Jay Flight SLX 8 …..today with 30 MPH winds, no problem. I tow at 60mph in tow mode.

I also put a break controller system in that allows me to brake the trailer if I do get bad sway as a fail safe.
Mike3million is offline   Reply With Quote