Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #1

Teeny, tiny bathroom

I bought what I thought was a small trash can for the bathroom, but learned quickly that I merely created an obstacle course in my bathroom.

I found a Rubbermaid cereal container, lined it with a Walmart bag, and voila! We now have a bathroom trash can we won't fall into.

I'm now on the search for one of those over-the-door towel racks, and I think we will be set in the bathroom.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #2

Make sure you will have clearance when you close the door. These are hollow core doors and if you have to cut to get the door hanger and the door to close you will weaken the door.

You might consider Command hangers on the door. Nothing to block the door from closing and you can place them where you want. Removable if you want to move them.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #3

I've thought about hanging things on the door, but wondered if the hinge screws would eventually strip out from the extra weight. Should this be a concern or not?

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:45 PM   #4

Octopus, have you looked at one of these? Extend-A-Shower Expanding Shower Rod - White Finish - Stromberg Carlson EXT-35-42 - Shower - Camping World Seems like it would enlarge the shower area w/o taking up anymore room. Just a thought.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiofinlander View Post
I've thought about hanging things on the door, but wondered if the hinge screws would eventually strip out from the extra weight. Should this be a concern or not?
A couple of damp towels on the door shouldn't cause any problems if the door is hung right in the first place.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Octopus, have you looked at one of these? Extend-A-Shower Expanding Shower Rod - White Finish - Stromberg Carlson EXT-35-42 - Shower - Camping World Seems like it would enlarge the shower area w/o taking up anymore room. Just a thought.
X2, I have used these in all of our trailers up until the glass enclosure in the new one.
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiofinlander View Post
There are clothing hangers you can attach to the outdoor ladder, and we plan to pick one of those up this week for drying swim suits and towels.
I was thinking of one to store dry towels on.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:43 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Mount one or to towel racks to the wall above the toilet or the opposite wall.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #9

I'm trying to make our bathroom better. I came close to tearing out the tub because we never use it and it is a pain to step into. A shower and vanity would replace it perfectly but I was too scared about running new drain pipes. Those tub/showers are worthless!
Anyway, I ordered a small medicine cabinet to install above the toilet. Should be plenty of room. I just need to figure out how to get a sink in it. We have a SLX 195rb. I like your waste basket idea. I will be copy catting it.
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #10

I would love a little sink in ours too! I looked at our mirror above the toilet and can’t figure out how it attaches to the wall. Do you know how to get it off? I have the same tt
Desertpull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmo View Post
I'm trying to make our bathroom better. I came close to tearing out the tub because we never use it and it is a pain to step into. A shower and vanity would replace it perfectly but I was too scared about running new drain pipes. Those tub/showers are worthless!
Anyway, I ordered a small medicine cabinet to install above the toilet. Should be plenty of room. I just need to figure out how to get a sink in it. We have a SLX 195rb. I like your waste basket idea. I will be copy catting it.
I've been looking for a medicine cabinet. What did you order?

Thnx
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #12

I am not sure but I am guessing glue. I haven't looked very close at the mirror, yet. I figure if I mess up the wall when I take down the mirror, the medicine cabinet should cover up the mistakes. I am going to slowly start prying it off and see what happens. Wish me luck. There are fold down sinks that would fit above the toilet but again, the plumbing is the issue.
We ordered one from Menards. It is 16 x 20 x 4. It is a Zenith MP109 with 2 fixed shelves. I'm hoping I can mount it okay.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #13

There are countless ways to reconfigure the bathroom in a 26BH.

Our take on it included:

1. That wall space above the toilet paper dispenser is just sitting there doing nothing. We added a towel rack there. High enough to hang a bath towel without interfering with the TP.

2. The wall behind the toilet has a light switch on it, but there's another switch on the light itself, so it's an easy matter to remove the light switch on the wall (just wire nut the wires together). With the switch gone, you can lower the towel rack to the point where a bath towel is just off the toilet. Use Dap kitchen and bath caulk in "biscuit" to repair the holes left behind. With that done, you have all that wall space available for a second medicine cabinet. Go to Home Depot and get one similar to the one by the sink. I got a simple plastic medicine cabinet with a really big mirror, and the mirror makes the bathroom seem bigger. Only problem with the cabinet I got is it doesn't close as securely as it should, so I have a couple velcro straps that secure it when we travel.

note: There's a stud in the wall where you mount the medicine cabinet...it's sort of to the left of the center of the wall. A couple stout screws into the stud will hold just fine. Watch your screw length, of course.

We use our 26BH as a couple's trailer, so having his and her's medicine cabinet works out really well.

If you mount the medicine cabinet so the door swings toward the shower, the guys can stand in the shower and use the mirror to shave (during which time turn shower off, of course). Beats the heck out of using the bathroom sink mirror.

---More storage space:
You were looking for more space for towels. Under the oven, you can create more space. Look in that cabinet, and you'll see a 1/4" plywood baffle that walls off much of the cabinet. There are just one or two screws holding that baffle in place, so it's a snap to remove. All it does is protect a gas line that runs through the floor right there. You wouldn't want to store anything that could damage that gas line in there (bricks?), but towels are certainly not going to hurt it.

While you're at it, you'll notice that the hole that the gas line goes through is labeled "Mice Enter Here". Or at least it should be. They don't even have to duck to get through that hole, so be sure to stuff it with steel wool or you will have mice.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #14
Site Team

I think everyone has the dilemma of where to put the towels. I found 2 -
24" wooden towel racks at Lowes and installed them on the back of the door in our rig. I had to trim a little off the dowel rod to make it fit the door width. The edges of the doors have a narrow wooden edge, maybe an inch to attach the screws.

I had to relocate the tissue dispenser to accommodate the rods and it has served us well for years. Now if we had more than 2 towels, it would be a new problem.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:57 PM   #15

We screwed one of these towel bar-hooks into the wall in the bathroom and one into the sliding door from the bathroom/bedroom door and no problem with weight. They have not fallen down in almost two years and are still sturdy. Everyone has a hook for their towel. The one on door is the bedroom side. I hang beach bags and clothes on this one. No problem with the door.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6697.jpg   IMG_6698.jpg  

"Let the Reel Cool Times Roll !!!!!
ReelCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #16

Info on mirror removal: The mirror is mounted with two sided tape. It pulled off very nicely without removing anything. The frame is nailed but it come off easily. The nails are pretty small. No damage. Medicine cabinet is coming in a few days and will get that mounted.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #17

We hang a cloth shoe rack over our bathroom door (no installation required). We bought the kind with the mesh pockets (so we can see what's in them) from Walmart for $9. We put bandaids, medicine, travel sewing kit, matches, toiletries...anything that's little and light weight...in those pockets. It's out of the way and has lots of pouches. If it's too long for your door or you think it's going to be too heavy, you can cut one or two of the bottom rows off and still have plenty left over. We've used one of these in every camper we've owned. All of our campers have been small, so we always have to think of creative ways to have more storage space. I really like the idea of the Rubbermaid container as a bathroom trash can.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:37 PM   #18

In our old camper I put one of those corner shower caddies (tension rod) in the corner by the toilet. At least could throw some TP, wash clothes and extra soap up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amberrf is offline   Reply With Quote