Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 06:24 PM   #1

Angry Thief Broke Into Our Jay Flight

I went over yesterday to our community's private RV storage lot. Once there, I found our TT door locks damaged from a break-in (insert expletives here).
Once inside, I found the screen for the dinette window laying on the seat cushions and the window blind open. The window was closed, but the latch no longer holds it closed. Maybe the door locks held and they had to climb through the window? The thief went through everything. All cabinet doors and drawers were open. It looks like they also pulled the Murphy bed down to look behind it as it was no longer secured. It does not appear anything was stolen? Weird. The only thing of value is the TV and DVD player, but those seem to be fine. The dinette cushions were all moved and the plywood below them was not set in place. So they obviously looked in those storage areas. We are lucky in that they didn't know to lift the bunk bed plywood base for easy access to the big storage area that is full of gear. The lower bunk was slept in (very creepy), as I found the sheets and blanket pulled back (more expletives here). Needless to say, we are very upset and angry with the jerk(s) that broke in and caused this damage. Plus they had the nerve to sleep in our bunk bed! Geeez. We'll have to wash the bedding with bleach and fumigate the mattress. We'll also look for a replacement door lock set. I called the sheriff to file a phone report. They had an officer come by. I was pleasantly surprised that they would take the time for such a minor problem. The officer was very thorough, he even took fingerprints! The prints had already deteriorated quite a bit from the wind and he wasn't sure if they would be of any help. He also mentioned there have been a rash of break-ins to homes in our general area. Some in gated communities and some not. I hope they catch whomever it is. Our HOA is looking into having motion detector lights and security cameras installed. The storage lot is secured with a locked gate and block walls all around. But one side borders the open desert making for an easy access with a hop over the wall.

Do any members here have recommendations for a particular brand of locks that might be more secure? If there is such a thing. Obviously, if a thief wants in, they will get in. Sad but true.

Thanks for letting me vent, I feel better.
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_14a0.jpg   fullsizeoutput_14a1.jpg  
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Old 04-03-2019, 07:33 PM   #2

Wow, sorry that happened, and hope they get caught. Unfortunatly securing a trailer is not really possible. If they want to get in they will just break a window and be done with it. Seems like the only time its hard to get into your trailer is when you acdentially lock the keys inside, but that is because you dont want to break anything to get in.

The only solution resides with the landlord. Bottom line, its their job to make it secure or people will go somewhere else. If it is exposed to open desert, then lights, cameras and razor wire are just a few measures they need to take. If everyone’s rent goes up $3-5 a month, but the upside is no more break ins, most folks would be fine with that.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like someone looking for a place to crash for a night...., and looked around for some booze and/or any weapons. Very similar 'mo' with hunting cabins.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Old 04-03-2019, 08:08 PM   #4

I'm dreaming of a wifi burglar alarm that will send a signal to my cell phone if someone gets into my camper. Still dreaming....
Old 04-03-2019, 09:44 PM   #5

Actually Riverman has a great idea.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:08 PM   #6

Would be easy to make a burglar alarm. Need a battery, solar powered charger, loud siren, simple on/off switch, and a few sensors, possibly a motion, or contacts. With a rechargeable power source, you could incorporate a cellular notification. Even add a motion activated camera.

A raspberry could make an awesome interface, however, I'm more old school. Personally a loud siren, would surfice.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Old 04-04-2019, 02:15 AM   #7

There's plenty on Amazon and eBay for around $100 that's wireless and will call whatever numbers programmed into it. False alarms at 2 am would be no fun though at the storage lot.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:56 AM   #8

We had a similar situation with our HTT. When we first moved to GA we put our HTT in storage. We used it off an on and then it pretty much sat all winter. One day while riding bicycles, my daughter and I noticed the front door was wide open. Stopped in and noticed the lock was broken. I only had the lock on, not the dead bolt. Nothing had been taken as there was nothing to take other than pots, pans, dishes and cheap silverware. I locked the deadbolt and figured that would keep people out.

Apparently the person returned a couple weeks later. He couldn't get into the HTT, but he sure tried. He broke the window in the door and tore the sheet metal on the door a little. As retaliation for making it harder to get in, he broke the hitch lock and cut the tether for the fresh water tank fill.

The police thought it was someone looking for a place to sleep for the night. Cost about $330 for a new door and about 4 hours to install.

I would ask the HOA to install cameras around the storage lot. Good cameras are so cheap these days. Most good quality cameras have micro SD card slots to store the video right on the camera, no need for recording devices or overpriced cloud storage. Access the camera directly through the web or using a free APP on a smart phone/tablet. Get push alerts or email alerts when there is motion detected.

-Michael
Old 04-04-2019, 06:03 AM   #9

The only problem with wifi camera's (and I have 8 at my home) is that it takes wifi to operate them. My storage lot won't share their wifi.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:33 AM   #10

I am not a fan of wifi cameras. I use wired (Power over Ethernet) cameras. Much more reliable and don't require battery changes or recharging. They don't use much bandwidth unless someone is watching the live feed. If an HOA is going to provide community storage, they should at least make it secure.

-Michael
Old 04-04-2019, 06:37 AM   #11

I have my rv parked next to my house. I leave the rv unlocked with nothing of value in it. I would rather someone open the door and go in and find out there is nothing vs them damaging the rv and finding nothing. The previous owners of my house had their rv broken into when they lived here. Now days the prices of TVs are so cheap I dont think it is worth the effort to be stolen, with a few exceptions.

I wouldn't leave it unlock in a storage lot.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:49 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I'm dreaming of a wifi burglar alarm that will send a signal to my cell phone if someone gets into my camper. Still dreaming....
I am currently about 1/3 of the way completed with my remote RV monitoring system. Hope to have it completed by the end of this camping season. A lot of software... one step at a time.

It does not use wi-fi but uses the cell phone system. It sends me a nightly display of systems status, and will send me a text alert if any of the systems have issues or motion sensors are activated. I can also dial into the system and make changes or get updates.

After reading this thread, I will redirect my efforts to completing the security features first, and add on the others after that

The cell service costs me $7 a month.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
ELECTRONICS - Remote Sensor Prject.jpg  
Old 04-04-2019, 07:15 AM   #13

I had POE camera's, changed them all 8 out to wifi.... glad i did. No more crawling in the attic pulling wires.

Now, back to the theft of a Jayco...
Old 04-04-2019, 07:19 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I had POE camera's, changed them all 8 out to wifi.... glad i did. No more crawling in the attic pulling wires.
Now, back to the theft of a Jayco...
Would you like to buy a Wi-Fi camera signal jammer. Good for 50 yards? This is why I went with hard wiring and pulled in the wires for 16 cameras, figure that will be a one time shot.

I also left the old drop cable from the cable company strung from their telephone post, but my actual cable connection (to a different cable company) is underground and protected by metal conduit and a metal cable access box. But there is no 100% guaranteed safe setup.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 04-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Would you like to buy a Wi-Fi camera signal jammer. Good for 50 yards? This is why I went with hard wiring and pulled in the wires for 16 cameras, figure that will be a one time shot.
Wow, where do you live that thieves are that sophisticated? And that you need that many cameras? Is Clearwater really that dangerous?

I've had motion sensor lights for many years and a few odd petty incidents in our neighborhood have me putting in a couple of cameras, but when I have to do what you are doing, we'll be moving somewhere safer.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:33 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Wow, where do you live that thieves are that sophisticated? And that you need that many cameras? Is Clearwater really that dangerous?
There are 2 seasons when the police reports increase around my area (near Clearwater) and it has to do with the migration of "Homeless" individuals (probably not politically correct) coming down from the North in the Fall and heading back up North in the Spring. The public trail is the "FreeWay" for them. They tend to get up on homeowners porches or in back yards and sleep on their lawn furniture, take things and leave trash laying around. Since moving here in the 90's, we put up a 6' privacy fence (also required to keep the TT on our property) around our property, along with a security system. We have been lucky, unlike others around here. Like I said nothing is 100% perfect.

I have attended many county police "Homeowners security awareness" presentations, always looking for some new thing. Pretty much the list they recommend is:
- Clear your house of high shrubs around windows
- Keep your doors and windows locked
- Light timers in a few rooms
- Outside lights around doors/garage doors, and light sensors elsewhere
- Notify neighbors and local police when you will be on vacation or away
(our police stop by the house and check it out)
- Put up "Beware of dog" signs around your property
- Invest in an home security system (alarm) and signs
and the list goes on
These will normally keep the non-professional thief's away from your house and move on to the next best looking easy one to try.

The wi-fi and cell phone jammers are becoming more common place in both the unprofessional and professional thief categories. Look at the movie stars that had their mansions robbed, using this technology. Yes the RING door bell can also be affected by them. Some of the alarm companies are working on or have incorporated software to detect the jammers and take appropriate action. The question is, which ones?

I am thinking of adding an in house "Very Mean dog barking" recording with speakers at each end of the house and the barking sound goes from one speaker to the other to make it sound like the dog is running back and forth, that will be activated if the perimeter sensors are activated. Or maybe a loud recording in the house, "Honey, get me the gun, someone is outside the house" along with activating all the lights on the property.
While we are not at home of course, or maybe when we are.

The options are endless! But the professional will still get what he/she wants, no matter what you do to protect your property.

Oh, one last point on the cameras. I received a call from the county police last August, while we were in the mountains asking if my outside cameras were active the day before. I sent him a video file for the view he wanted for that day. He indicated later when he called me back thanking me that the video was very helpful. That has happened a couple times. It had something to do with a stolen car. People around here tend to leave their cars unlocked and some with the keys in them and other personal things in them. Ya, how dumb can some people be.

Sorry for the lengthily reply

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 04-04-2019, 11:19 AM   #17

18 years in law enforcement taught me a few things...

1) Stored RVs are generally low risk if you store them empty. Meaning: take everything of value out of them, including the TV, when you're storing them long-term.

Then, leave the window blinds open so the opportunist can see this trailer is empty. Bad guys (or often, juveniles) rarely just run up and smash windows, unless it's an all-out looting situation. They will usually case the area first. They'll look in the window, see the bed sheets gone, drawers/cabinets open and empty, fridge open, nothing of value sitting out within view... Chances are they'll move on. Time is of the essence and they won't want to waste time entering an RV that won't provide good stuff. Thieves like good stuff, and if they can't see in the windows, they'll assume you're hiding good stuff.

2) Location, location, location... Storage shed complexes are frequent targets of thieves. And they always bring bolt cutters. Chains, cables, locks are great for deterring theft while traveling, but they are a 5 second job when no one's around. Find a storage area with lighting, perhaps a fence and cameras. The 'cheap' places will save you a few bucks, but a dark lot in the middle of nowhere is a much higher risk.

3) If someone wants to get into an RV, they're going to get in. These fancy locks, again, are great for peace-of-mind, but the frame around your door is likely cheap aluminum and can be bent/pried very easily.

The audible door alarm may work if there's someone around to hear it, but if not, thieves often won't care. I know it's not always possible, but the best place to store an RV is to find a friend out of town with some land, who will let you park it behind their shed or barn for a nominal fee.

Bottom line is that nothing is 100% safe, which is why you have insurance, but you should be more concerned about mice in a stored RV than a bad guy.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:11 PM   #18

Sorry to hear about this violation of your property. I'm fortunate that I can store my RV on my property next to my house. Once I uncover the trailer in the spring I mount a security camera with motion detection. The video gets transmitted to a wireless router in my house and then to my cellphone if/when the camera is activated so at least there is a shot I'll get a picture of the thief should one break-in while we're not home. The limitation is the camera has to be within range of the router (probably no more than 75 feet) so it would help if I had to store the trailer off my property.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
Old 04-04-2019, 12:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Sorry for the lengthily reply

Don
No worries on the reply. I'm REALLY glad we don't have those kinds of issues. Like I said, if we did, we'd be moving. Not so much valuable in my neighborhood that would motivate a thief to go high tech. The few things that have happened here are what you described with people leaving their cars outside and unlocked. They never bother the locked cars. And I believe the one that happened a few houses away had more to do with a rivalry between her kids and some former acquaintances.

Homeless is what I call them also.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:17 PM   #20

Thanks to every one for your encouraging words! We've calmed down now that it has been a couple of days. We are glad that we did not have anything of value in the trailer. If they want the TV, then so be it. At least they're inexpensive. Today, I saw a similar TV at Walmart for $98. He or she that broke in may have just wanted to have a place to lay their head for the night as some have suggested. In the end, it's just stuff. We're not going to sweat it. We feel that we got lucky in that no major damage was done and nothing was taken. We can wash the sheets etc., and move on. Stuff happens!
We are hoping the HOA will put in motion-sensor lights at a minimum. A security system would be great but we doubt they'll go that far. We'll see. Myself, I don't see them installing razor or barbed wire as the adjacent homeowners would probably not like it within their view. I liked all the member ideas here for a remote security system or cameras, etc., on the trailer itself. A lot of great ideas! Again, thanks to you all. We really appreciate your encouragement and words of support as well as your input and suggestions.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Closed Thread