Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2020, 06:51 PM   #1

Tire Mismatch, Bad Axle or ???

I just discovered that when we had a flat they put the new tire on the TT rather than use the spare, which was the same model tire. When I showed the tire to the tire company they said we had a bent axle. Lippert has been very cooperative. They asked me to send photos even though I am out of warranty.

* All Photos have level at bottom of axle, not sure why some post upside down.

Photos:
Left Rear Tire (the mismatched one)
Right Reat Tire
Complete Rear Axle and camber
Real Axle closeup of camber
Frong Axle closeup of camber

I have 4 new tires (Goodyear Endurance) ready to install but I want to assure that solve the unknown problem first
Attached Thumbnails
Left Rear Tire.jpg   Right Rear Tire.jpg   Rear Axle Campher Complete.jpg   Real Axle Middle Campher.jpg   Front Axle Campher.jpg  

2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:14 AM   #2

Your tire certainly has some wear on the side which indicates a bent axle.
Hard to tell with the level pics.

Parking the trailer on a flat paved surface and using a large framing square against the side of the tire may show better.

I would not install the new tires yet!
Old 09-21-2020, 06:15 AM   #3

I just dealt with this. Tire wear looked almost identical. My axle was bent. Just barely. Took thousands of miles to get the tire to wear. Axle was sent free, but I was on the hook for labor since I couldn’t prove manufacturer issue vs my own doing.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:09 AM   #4

What is the weight on the axle when your fully loaded?
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:17 AM   #5

I don't have the specific axle weight as I have always just weight the TV and TT. I will start weighing the separate axles from here on.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
Old 09-22-2020, 06:56 PM   #6

I had the same tire wear as well after about 2000 miles. Just had the rear axle replaced last week. Took the opportunity to have a Morryde wetbolt kit installed while at the trailer shop. Now need to get the tire changed but may wait until spring when it comes back out of storage.

2019 Whitehawk 24MBH
2017 Ford F-150 CC 5.0L 3.55
rohuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:38 PM   #7

Thanks for information, I will look it up. My concern is trying to figure out why this happened and how to keep it from happening again. Do I upgrade both axles to 3500 lbs. , or as one post suggested, it might be just the spindle. Lippert has been very helpful so far. They asked for 6 - 8 photos and are having their Customer Service Techs work with mfg. to see if they can find something that seems out of whack.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:42 PM   #8

Did you check the bearings? If there is too much play it will cause that too.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:43 AM   #9

I just discovered right rear inside wear also. It's a 2019 Jayco 27bh. It might rain today but I still might try to jack it up and see if there is excessive play in the bearings or spindle.

To the OP: I'm not sure that axle is abnormal in your pictures. Unloaded axles have a pretty good arch to them, and when loaded the arch starts to disappear. Couldn't this be the normal arch? Not arguing... Just food for thought.

Larry
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:55 AM   #10

What is the weight - go to a Cat scale and weigh the truck and then come back and get your “fully loaded” trailer and weigh the two together. The Cat scale will tell you how much weight is on each axle.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:09 AM   #11

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. The axle was bent. I worked with Lippert and they could find no reason, there was no damage to the axle housing. They chose to replace it for me. I decided to upgrade both axles and the dealer is installing them next week. I do have to give a shout out to Lippert. They had 3 different people work with me. My goal was long term use with no issues and they took the time to fully discuss the options and then decided to credit me for the axle because I had weights, history, etc. and they also wondered why it bent. Mustang65 "trained me" when I first purchased my TT to pay attention to my weight. I owe him one too!
Old 10-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #12

maybe (since we are seeing "BENT AXELS" a lot) the trailer manufacturers should stop putting axels on the trailers that JUST BARELY meet requirements.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
maybe (since we are seeing "BENT AXELS" a lot) the trailer manufacturers should stop putting axels on the trailers that JUST BARELY meet requirements.
Cause and effect. If you put heavier axles on the trailer, then you simply raise the CCC of the TT and it's GVWR. Axles on trailers are ALWAYS just barely meeting requirements as they are generally the limiting factor in setting the GVWR.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:42 PM   #14

Alignment or level of axle in the center tells you nothing about wheel alignment. I think Camber is most likely but you need full 4 wheel alignment check.
Camber & Toe and all 4 in parallel are the key measurements you need to check.

Tags
axle camber, bent axle