Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2016, 08:40 AM   #1

Towing Weights... At last.

Finally got all three measurements at the cat scales, trailer fully loaded, all 5 of us in the truck.

Should I be concerned?

Weigh 1: everything set per normal
Steer axle: 4960
Rear axle: 5080
Trailer axle: 7620
Total: 17660

Weigh 2: wdh bars loose
Steer axle: 4720
Rear axle: 5440
Trailer axle: 7460
Total: 17640

Weigh 3: trailer separate from truck, hitch with trailer
Steer axle: 5220
Rear axle: 3660
Trailer axle: 8760
Total: 17640

The truck has a GVWR of 9600 lbs.
Front GAWR is 5500 lbs
Rear GAWR is 6010 lbs.
trailer GVWR of 9250 lbs.

I have timbrens on the rear axle of the truck, so there is very little sag.

According to the measurements, we are running about 10,040 on the road, 440 lbs over weight. Note I have virtually nothing but people in the truck, plus a floor jack and a cooler (probably anothe pe 60-80 lbs total).

Should I be concerned about being overweight on the truck? If not, why not?
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

ecksdude,

It's great that you took the time at the CAT scale confirming your loaded TV/TT weights...., IMO knowing how your 17,660lbs stacks up is useful information.

If my math is correct, you still have 260lbs that could be moved to your TV's front axle without over compressing your front suspension......, doing so (via WDH adjustment) will also move a little additional weight to your TT axles thus 'chipping' away at the 440lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksdude View Post
snip.....Should I be concerned about being overweight on the truck? If not, why not?
Well, there's those that prefer to stay within or at manufacture specified weight limits (like myself), and those that may feel otherwise.

I tend to recommend staying within, and/or at manufacture weight limits because I like to minimize working with "unknown variables"....., and IMO it's human nature our TV/TT loaded weights tend to increase over time, seldom decrease.

I don't push the panic button when someone states they're towing overweight, but at some point it will effect one's personal towing expectations and/or the TV's optimum handling/performance.

Just food for thought.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
ecksdude,

It's great that you took the time at the CAT scale confirming your loaded TV/TT weights...., IMO knowing how your 17,660lbs stacks up is useful information.

If my math is correct, you still have 260lbs that could be moved to your TV's front axle without over compressing your front suspension......, doing so (via WDH adjustment) will also move a little additional weight to your TT axles thus 'chipping' away at the 440lbs.

Well, there's those that prefer to stay within or at manufacture specified weight limits (like myself), and those that may feel otherwise.

I tend to recommend staying within, and/or at manufacture weight limits because I like to minimize working with "unknown variables"....., and IMO it's human nature our TV/TT loaded weights tend to increase over time, seldom decrease.

I don't push the panic button when someone states they're towing overweight, but at some point it will effect one's personal towing expectations and/or the TV's optimum handling/performance.

Just food for thought.

Bob
X 2 what Rustic Eaglesaid.

Personally, I don't like to start out "already overweight". It can get worse as time goes by. True, the engineers add a fudge factor, so you might be all right for now. Another point, which I don't know the answer is, what happens with the insurance if you are in an accident and being overweight? Just my two cents.....
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7349 View Post
X 2 what Rustic Eaglesaid.

Personally, I don't like to start out "already overweight". It can get worse as time goes by. True, the engineers add a fudge factor, so you might be all right for now. Another point, which I don't know the answer is, what happens with the insurance if you are in an accident and being overweight? Just my two cents.....
Far as I can find out there has never been a case based upon towing over recommend weights. Also what is written on that yellow sticker is not determined by engineering alone.
Finally, I do not follow yellow sticker tire pressure, size or weight ratings, same is true for the camper. Almost every sedan on the road with a family in it is overloaded. Going out on a limb here I would be willing to guess that most campers are overloaded.

The good thing about these threads to me is that people try very hard to be safe and that's a very good thing.
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:33 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
snip...... The good thing about these threads to me is that people try very hard to be safe and that's a very good thing.
X2

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
X2

Bob
X3
Yes, a good thing indeed. Glad posters like ecksdude ask questions like this so all of us will be more aware of safety issues.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:41 PM   #7

We've driven it about 600+ miles since i posted this. I haven't noticed any handling issues at all. Note that future trips I actually expect we'll be less on the heavy side, we have an extra person this week and all her luggage to take with her back to college, needless to say I expect the truck to go down at least 150 lbs and the trailer about the same for most future trips.

That said, we have hopes of one day taking bicycles... Of course, those will likely go on the rear of the trailer.

As for increasing the tension on the wdh bars, I'm reluctant. They are already very tight, and I'm concerned about putting too much tension on them. Not sure if I should worry about that or not, honestly.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:38 AM   #8

You are towing the same trailer as me, except you have the Eagle version which is about 500# heavier. I use a 1/2 ton Tundra and you are running a 3/4 ton diesel...why are we both running just over weight. I guess we both need a 1 ton diesel to tow! Actually what most people forget about is the hitch we use...The ProPride 3P which doesn't allow sway so the trailer always handles perfectly. Mine has for 3 years now on 2 different trailers both towed with the Tundra. I suspect your Ram diesel will survive fine.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
You are towing the same trailer as me, except you have the Eagle version which is about 500# heavier. I use a 1/2 ton Tundra and you are running a 3/4 ton diesel...why are we both running just over weight. I guess we both need a 1 ton diesel to tow! Actually what most people forget about is the hitch we use...The ProPride 3P which doesn't allow sway so the trailer always handles perfectly. Mine has for 3 years now on 2 different trailers both towed with the Tundra. I suspect your Ram diesel will survive fine.
I would agree, I've never had the trailer misbehave on the highway. That said, having comparatively little experience towing, I probably don't know the difference. Between the diesel truck and the pro-pride hitch, I'm a bit spoiled.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:58 AM   #10

While you are a bit over the TV GVWR both axles are under their limits. Since you've put a few miles on and have had good results I'd expect you are good to go.
When discussing weights I like to end with "the CAT Scale is your friend" but you've figured that out already.
Enjoy!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote