Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2019, 08:38 AM   #1

Trailer back bumper

Hello Jayco owners... this topic is not new but it is new -ish to me. The whole issue of attaching a hitch on the back bu per of the travel trailer. Some say absolutely not and some say it should be fine as long as I make sure I get that back bumper reinforced properly to handle the weight. I mainly want this for a bicycle rack.. four bikes ... one item that is brought up about the bike rack in the back bumper per is not just the bu per’s Capability to hold the weight but also the amount of movement back there and how it can also affect sway as it’s added weight to the back on the bumper..

Can any of you that may have more experience on this topic give any suggestions??? Thank you
Acano82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #2

I'm in the camp that added reinforcement to my bumper and use a rack (only two though). I have no sway issues and thus far nothing noticeable from having the bikes there.

I installed Mount-n-lock on each side of my bumper: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mrSethTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrSethTaylor View Post
I'm in the camp that added reinforcement to my bumper and use a rack (only two though). I have no sway issues and thus far nothing noticeable from having the bikes there.

I installed Mount-n-lock on each side of my bumper:
It would be helpful for others for you to include which RV/trailer you have, the hitch/anti-sway you are using, and your tow vehicle.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #4

I have a 2014 jayco whitehawk and from what I u sweat and my back bumper only holds maybe 150 lbs if I’m lucky..
The trailer weighs 4650 dry towing with 2011 Yukon xl , modified with an additional transmission cooler .. iits got the v8 5.3
The hitch is a Eaz ellite hitch and weight dist kit 14,000 lbs with 1400lbs tongue weight. I will be adding a sway control bar.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:10 PM   #5

Trailer back bumper

Photo of the bumper
Attached Thumbnails
60805C8A-CE10-4533-9098-7F15BB118C99.jpg  
Old 07-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #6

I read a bunch of comments about attaching racks to the rear bumper of my travel trailer. I decided, as a previous respondent stated, to add Safety Struts and have not had any issues with bumper fatigue or drooping. I would not add the rack without the struts.
dljs1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:27 PM   #7

We had a 2011 Jayco 33RLDS and now we have a 2018 Jayco Jayfeather that I put the mount-n-locks on. Hauled bikes back there and did not ever have aproblem. In my opinion worth the money
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:52 AM   #8

Ditto on the SafetyStruts...put them on my 2020 Jay Feather 27RL and so far all is great!
Gregory Peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:10 AM   #9

I used Safety struts on a 99 Sunline. I also had the seam on the under side of the bumper welded for the full length, since it was only tacked in a half dozen spots, just to be safe. I used an aluminum cargo tray with bike holders for 3 bikes. Probably put over 5000 miles on that setup with zero issues.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:40 AM   #10

I installed the safety struts on my X213. i then installed a bike rack holding two bikes and after 1000miles it flexed the rear bumper and pulled the welds a little. Without the struts I am sure that I would have lost the whole setup. I then removed the bikes and continued the trip without them on the bumper. I will be having a hitch welded professionally in the near future.
pbois34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:26 PM   #11

Sorry, yes I should have mentioned more specifics. Trailer is JayFlight 244bhsw, hitch is equalizer 1400lbs.
mrSethTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:43 PM   #12

Best is to weld the hitch to the frame and bumper, which is what is on my Jayflight 29BHS. I had a 4 bike Thule rack with 3 bikes. I never felt anything amiss as far as driving with the rack back there, using a 2002 Yukon XL. I also have a rear camera that I leave on as I travel. The amount of bounce I could see was disconcerting. I once saved the day when I went over a big dip and thought I saw a bike get loose. Went to check immediately and sure enough my son's BMX type bike flipped off and was dragging on the pavement. Without the camera only handlebars and a reflector would have remained once we got to the campground.

I now have a 2005 Yukon 3/4 ton and mostly use a front hitch mounted bike rack for convenience in the way we load up for camping, but would have no problem going back to the rear bike rack on the trailer. Just gotta make sure the bikes are secure.
Heymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:26 AM   #13

***DO NOT USE***
I use 4" bumper trailer hitch for the second time while travelling out west in Canada. I was carrying two bicycles on a rack. The hitch snapped and my bikes were dragging on the ground on the Trans Canada Highway at 70 MPH. The bikes remained on the rack and the bumper wasn't twisted but my bikes were ruined. When I contacted the Company and sent them pictures...they blamed the bumpy north roads in Canada causing the extra stress. No compensation at all.
***DO NOT BUY***
***DO NOT USE***
***DEFECTIVE PRODUCT***
***I NOTICE IT IS NOT FOR SALE ON THEIR WEBSITE ANY MORE***
***WONDER WHY????***
donnowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnowak View Post
***DO NOT USE***
I use 4" bumper trailer hitch for the second time while travelling out west in Canada. I was carrying two bicycles on a rack. The hitch snapped and my bikes were dragging on the ground on the Trans Canada Highway at 70 MPH. The bikes remained on the rack and the bumper wasn't twisted but my bikes were ruined. When I contacted the Company and sent them pictures...they blamed the bumpy north roads in Canada causing the extra stress. No compensation at all.
***DO NOT BUY***
***DO NOT USE***
***DEFECTIVE PRODUCT***
***I NOTICE IT IS NOT FOR SALE ON THEIR WEBSITE ANY MORE***
***WONDER WHY????***
Welcome to the forum.

I assume you are talking about a HITCH breaking, and not the trailer's bumper. If so, please tell us which HITCH?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:52 AM   #15

I would recommend having a 2" receiver hitch welded on.

Any good welding shop will custom make and mount the hitch. It will be far cheaper than buying a one size fits all and having the dealer do it.

Also with the spare tire hanging on the bumper you may already be at your maximum allowed weight.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I assume you are talking about a HITCH breaking, and not the trailer's bumper. If so, please tell us which HITCH?
Mount-n-lock 4" bumper hitch.
They don't have it listed on their website anymore.
If their other products are maunufactured like this one, I wouldn't buy anything from them.
Can't believe they blamed the problem on northern bumpy roads in Canada.
donnowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:57 AM   #17
BJR

eTrailer has a couple of frame-mounted hitches for RVs. This one:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp.../LC240220.html

and one that's adjustable:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...rt/C13704.html

It may be worth considering.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acano82 View Post
Hello Jayco owners... this topic is not new but it is new -ish to me. The whole issue of attaching a hitch on the back bu per of the travel trailer. Some say absolutely not and some say it should be fine as long as I make sure I get that back bumper reinforced properly to handle the weight. I mainly want this for a bicycle rack.. four bikes ... one item that is brought up about the bike rack in the back bumper per is not just the bu per’s Capability to hold the weight but also the amount of movement back there and how it can also affect sway as it’s added weight to the back on the bumper..

Can any of you that may have more experience on this topic give any suggestions??? Thank you
+1 for welding a receiver hitch to your frame. my hitch shop added a 4x4 support and welded the receiver to that and also to the frame. nothing is actually attached to the bumper itself.

I did the same on my tent trailer with no issues

be sure to add some weight to your front to counterbalance the added rear weight. you can use two 30lb propane tanks, two 6v batteries, add storage, anything you can dream up. between the added steel and rack plus bikes, i've probably added 100lbs to the rear of the trailer.

Hope this helps in your decision

i'm not sure why the site keeps flipping my images...
Attached Thumbnails
20190515_161123.jpg   20190515_161102.jpg   20190517_124630.jpg   20190517_124621.jpg   20190711_122031.jpg  

distracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acano82 View Post

I've heard the same suggestions myself and I'll take experience over guessing any day. Our Jayco 5th wheel came with it's own separate 2" receiver hitch that's independent of the rear bumper, so I'm not worried about it. That said, I would NOT add a rack to a stand alone bumper because I do know all that bouncing around down the road will wiggle things loose. If you have bicycles, put them in the bed of the truck or in the camper. Anything else might void the warranty or worse - like break something or cause an accident.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:58 AM   #20

Cool Safety Struts? I wanna pull my PWC

My 07 Jayfeather has a faux bumper so I can't attach anything to it. I want to add a bumper that will let my pull my PWC/Jet Ski. it weighs with the trailer around 600lbs. has anyone added a bumper to theirs for something like this? not sure what these safety struts are either. Anyone have a pic?

Bo
Elgin, SC
Bo Nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote