Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-14-2020, 06:05 AM   #1

Trailer camera

My 224bh has pre wired rear camera, what are some options to get a screen inside me truck?
viennafire21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:05 AM   #2

I installed a wireless - WIFI camera to the rear of my 29RKS. Camera power came from the rear, center, marker light. Mounted the camera with 3M trim tape. When the camera is powered, I can use my cell phone or an I-pad to view the camera video. Since I only use the rear camera occasionally when traveling, and mostly for backing, a hand held device is sufficient for my needs. (My co-pilot is responsible for operating the phone or I-pad device while we are on the road)
Old 11-14-2020, 09:46 AM   #3

Is it pre-wired for a camera or is the camera already there? Did the dealer put it on or was it an factory option? If someone other than the factory put it on then did they keep the base unit?

Knowing where it came from would help plus the brand and model number. Some operate Bluetooth and you get an app for your phone from the manufacturers website. Otherwise, you could order a matching base station.
Or take it off and go with a whole new system.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:31 PM   #4

It is a new jayco, the fusion mounting plate is on the back with a wire.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:43 PM   #5

Just picked my new camper up today and I had the Furrion 7” vision s package added. Liked the screen layout better.

Halo view has a rear cam/monitor setup too. Even has a mount to fit the Furrion location. Reviews were mixed on it for distance though.
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:46 AM   #6

I went with a Tadi Brothers camera.
The camera mounted to the existing Furion mount on the trailer and the 5" monitor is mounted on the dash.
The camera kit came with two mounting options for the monitor.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:01 AM   #7

The camera mounted on the fusion bracket on the camper?
Old 11-15-2020, 02:30 PM   #8
Wsw

If you buy the furion. About 5 minutes to hook up. Take 4 screws out of the mount. Pull plug out of mount. Plug into camera. Put camera on mount. Put 4 screws back in. Put reciever in your truck and plug in. Plug into 12 volts and turn on. You may have to reverse mirror image the display though.

Camera is powered by running lights so they have to be on to get picture. I hardwired mine to a hot wire and put on a switch. If I want it on I just flip switch. A bit harder, but just because you have to find the hot wire and splice to a light. Jayco puts the wire in the box behind the camera mount.

Expensive but works good. Lots on it here. Search furion for options.
Wsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by viennafire21 View Post
The camera mounted on the fusion bracket on the camper?
The Furion camera housing on the trailer has a removable cover that is held on with 4 screws.

The Tadi Brothers camera comes with an adaptor that mounts where the original cover went.

Other brands may have an adapter as well.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by viennafire21 View Post
My 224bh has pre wired rear camera, what are some options to get a screen inside me truck?
Get a Furion camera. They come with a wireless display. There are cheaper cameras but the Furion is easy to mount and you aren't guaranteed that any substitute you get will have the range to reach the display in your truck. I got one last spring from Amazon ($435), model FOS43TASF, when I bought my new Jayco and I love the thing.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCarter View Post
Get a Furion camera. They come with a wireless display. There are cheaper cameras but the Furion is easy to mount and you aren't guaranteed that any substitute you get will have the range to reach the display in your truck. I got one last spring from Amazon ($435), model FOS43TASF, when I bought my new Jayco and I love the thing.
Did you consider the three camera setup before buying the single camera one?
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:40 AM   #12

No side cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelO View Post
Did you consider the three camera setup before buying the single camera one?
No, the camper was expensive enough without adding a bunch of extra stuff. I think the rear camera is great but I honestly don't see the need for three cameras. I have side-view mirrors for that.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCarter View Post
No, the camper was expensive enough without adding a bunch of extra stuff. I think the rear camera is great but I honestly don't see the need for three cameras. I have side-view mirrors for that.
Those mirrors are only useful if you’re backing straight in. If you’re turning as you back they’re almost useless. A camera on each side on the front of the trailer allows you to see what your mirrors can’t show you.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:56 PM   #14
Joy

I purchased a Furrion Wireless OBSERVATION system which I highly recommend. It allows you to see what is behind you while driving, not just when backing. Camera attached to the back below the center running light using prewire already connected to the battery. Monitor came with suction holder to attach on windshield. I now just strap it to the rear view mirror (where I would normally observe what’s behind me).
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:07 PM   #15

Most of my customers opt for the larger Furrion screen which is expandable to side cameras. They'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
sbarlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:42 PM   #16

Rear View Camera

I also purchased the Furrion rear view camera for my pre-wired 264 BHW. It works pretty well for watching traffic coming up behind me, and helps a little when backing up into tight spaces. But wished I'd purchased the bigger monitor.

I like the idea about mounting the monitor to the rear view mirror. It would bring it much closer for easier viewing, so I might give it a try.

The only problem I have is occasionally the wireless signal will cut out and I lose the view. However the monitor will usually reconnect to the cameral fairly quickly so it doesn't hamper me much. I've checked and double-checked the antenna connection and all seems ok, so I assume it is just a distance problem. When the trailer is hooked to my truck, the distance between the camera and monitor is about 43'.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randel J View Post
The only problem I have is occasionally the wireless signal will cut out and I lose the view. However the monitor will usually reconnect to the cameral fairly quickly so it doesn't hamper me much. I've checked and double-checked the antenna connection and all seems ok, so I assume it is just a distance problem. When the trailer is hooked to my truck, the distance between the camera and monitor is about 43'.
Mine is about 45ish feet and I’ve not seen it cut out (knock on wood), I also have the 7” monitor if that makes any difference. Do you have your windows aftermarket tinted? If so some window tint decreases signals from entering the cab.
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:11 PM   #18

Truck windows are factory tinted, so that shouldn't be an issue. The next step is to remove the camera, and make sure all the power contacts are ok, but I suspect they are fine. Maybe this is one of those glitches that is cheaper to live with rather than pay the RV dealer to track the down and fix problem (also, they'll probably keep the TT for months before they find out they can't fix the problem anyway).
Old 11-21-2020, 10:39 PM   #19

Screens All Over the place

For video screens etc just check Amazon and you'll find dozens of choices some expensive some remarkably inexpensive. For even more choices check ebay and you will find lots and lots of choices.
Iadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:22 AM   #20

Furring Rear Camera

Mine was installed by the dealer. It works great at 44’ from the steering wheel to the camera.
IrishSettler is offline   Reply With Quote