Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2015, 02:51 PM   #1

Trailer frame electrified?

Hi,

I have noticed that when hands are wet and I touch the frame of the trailer or the stairs; I will feel a very minor tingle sensation (similiar to when you stick your tongue on a 9volt battery; but much much milder).

Its almost unnoticeable, and like I said, your hands need to be wet to detect it.

Is this normal? I am wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that the negative lead of the battery is attached to frame.

I am plugged into 30amp electrical service and the battery is also hooked up and charged. I have checked the 30amp service with a multimeter and have confirmed that I get 120v across the ground and hot lead and 0 volts (certainly less than 1v) across the neutral and ground.

Any thoughts?

Bill

wbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbarnes View Post

... I have checked the 30amp service with a multimeter and have confirmed that I get 120v across the ground and hot lead and 0 volts (certainly less than 1v) across the neutral and ground...

Any thoughts?

Bill
The tingling is definitely not normal and may indicate a dangerous situation. Did you check the 30 amp service at the campground service box? Or did you check the service inside your trailer? Or both?

The readings look normal to me. But if you checked it at the service box -- certainly the first place to check -- did you also check the AC within your trailer? There could be a problem in the umbilical, the plug, or the umbilical installs in your trailer. So I'd suggest taking those readings from an outlet in your trailer.

There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:23 PM   #3

We had that in FL one year and the main feed from the transformer to the CG had to be replaced. We were without power for about 8 hours.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:24 PM   #4

Disconnect right away you have a problem.We had that problem at our dog show and only lost a dog that night.I felt a tingle when I touch the trailer and dog fence.I disconnected rec. lucky the owner was ok.
labracorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #5

RV 110v electrical systems are different from home systems. The Neutral ( white wire) and ground (bare copper) do not share the same buss on your power distribution center. This is to prevent any accidental electrocution should the Positive side of the 110 V come in contact the with metal frame of the RV.

The 12vDC, however, does share ground with the frame of the trailer.

I agrees with the previous remarks that this indicates a dangerous situation and is likely related to a ground issue with the shore power connection. I'm wondering if you are getting some low AC voltage reference to ground through the frame and the converter.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
RV 110v electrical systems are different from home systems. The Neutral ( white wire) and ground (bare copper) do not share the same buss on your power distribution center. This is to prevent any accidental electrocution should the Positive side of the 110 V come in contact the with metal frame of the RV.

The 12vDC, however, does share ground with the frame of the trailer.

I agrees with the previous remarks that this indicates a dangerous situation and is likely related to a ground issue with the shore power connection. I'm wondering if you are getting some low AC voltage reference to ground through the frame and the converter.
+1!

Murff
Andersen Hitch
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:15 PM   #7

don't just turn off breakers at post - unplug -

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:16 PM   #8

My 2cents: There is stray current on the frame, when you feel the tingle you are the path to ground. Check your ground connections at the CC box and also your ground connections to the frame. Then you can look for what is putting voltage out on the frame.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:55 PM   #9

Hook one end of a multimeter to frame, jam other end into the dirt / ground if voltage present you have problems. I had this happen ones and found that during assembly a screw had gone through one of the power wires electrifying the metal frame.
notaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:02 PM   #10

Unplug that thing. Something is definately wrong. Our friends pop-up was so electrified, we couldn't even touch it. The CG power was the culprit. Usually is. Do you own an EMS?

Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote