Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2017, 07:14 AM   #21
Site Team

Don't use the "Duel" tire rating unless you have duel tires on each end of the axle.

Also it is important to know the actual tongue weight because it is not on the trailer tires but on the truck tires.

The tongue weight will normally be 15 to 20% of the trailer total weight.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:18 AM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Whats the usual recommendation for mileage for changining OEM tires?
We have about 15,000 miles on the Rainers.. Not finding any defects.

I think it would be wise to change before we make another 15000 mile trip to Alaska.
Most prudent camper owners reference to the DOT birthdate on each tire. Most tires on campers do not show wear but should be changed after 4 or 5 years of birth.

Frequent inspection and carrying spare tires would be my recommendation if you take them on a long trip after 5 years of use. Also check the cold pressure regularly.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 01-26-2017, 07:19 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Whats the usual recommendation for mileage for changining OEM tires?

We have about 15,000 miles on the Rainers.. Not finding any defects.

I think it would be wise to change before we make another 15000 mile trip to Alaska.

I don't think mileage is as much of a concern as time. 3-5 years is the lifespan of tire tires regardless of miles. That being said, I think I'd get new tires before a long trip to Alaska. I hear the road up there aren't very good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:31 AM   #24

Tires

The bad part about the tires is IF one blows out, the damage to the trailer that that tire does.

I am hoping to replace tires on my fifth wheel this spring.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:35 AM   #25

Always remember this if you are in doubt about replacing tires. You can probably replace all four tires before leaving home for what one tire will cost on the road. Also check the DOT date that the tires were manufactured and that might help you make a better decision on when to replace them.
sodbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:58 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronroamer View Post
Somewhere on this forum I read that you multiply the rating of your tires by the number of tires and that is the total weight the tires should be carrying. My 2016 23RBM weighs in at 5,100 pounds. The Ranier ST 205-75R 14 tires are each rated at "Max Dual Load 570 Pounds". 4 X 570 = 2,280 Pounds. These are the OEM tires that came on the trailer. So - What am I missing?
Not sure where you got the 570 pound load rating but that is wrong. Those tires are rated at 1760 pounds. My golf cart tires are rated at more than 570 pounds. Don't use the "dual" rating either. That rating is for tires used in dual tire configurations like on the rear of a "dually" pickup. ie: dual tires on the each end of the axle.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:51 PM   #27

Do you mean 10% to 15% is the normal tongue weight range? Pin weight for 5'ers is usually 20% to 25%, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post

The tongue weight will normally be 15 to 20% of the trailer total weight.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Do you mean 10% to 15% is the normal tongue weight range? Pin weight for 5'ers is usually 20% to 25%, IIRC.
I agree. 15-20 percent TW is pretty much on the extreme high side.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:19 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
I think your 570 pounds is wrong. I looked up that tire and it showed 1760 lbs capacity at 50 psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply and investigation Magnolia Tom. Sure enough - I missed the "1" on the rating. They are listed at 1570 dual at 50 PSI. Guess it's time for new glasses!
Ronroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
Not sure where you got the 570 pound load rating but that is wrong. Those tires are rated at 1760 pounds. My golf cart tires are rated at more than 570 pounds. Don't use the "dual" rating either. That rating is for tires used in dual tire configurations like on the rear of a "dually" pickup. ie: dual tires on the each end of the axle.
Thanks Hohenwald 48. After looking again I saw that I missed the "1" in front of the 750. I wonder about using the single rating though - if one tire blows then the other on the same side is carrying the entire load. Isn't that why they have the Dual Rating? It may be a moot point - just curious.
Ronroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:21 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
The bad part about the tires is IF one blows out, the damage to the trailer that that tire does.

I am hoping to replace tires on my fifth wheel this spring.
Does anyone know if any of the plans you can buy like good sam roadside assistance or the others out there cover over damage to the trailer, or is it just help you get the tire dealt with? I have never seen clear guidance with it. I would IMAGINE they only replace the tire, sorry about the thousands of damage to the trailer, but if someone knows for sure I would love to know. I also wonder if the TV/RV insurance would kick in as well if something like this occurred so you would just be in for the deductible.

We have a 2016 trailer (purchased mid 2015) with the Rainiers and have around 10k-11 on them, took a 4000 mile trip last summer with no issues. We did keep it at 65 or less and checked them OFTEN however. Probably will replace them before we do another long trip, not worry too much if were staying within a few hundred miles is my thought.

I am interested to look at the manufacture date of the tires now based on this post.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:28 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronroamer View Post
Thanks Hohenwald 48. After looking again I saw that I missed the "1" in front of the 750. I wonder about using the single rating though - if one tire blows then the other on the same side is carrying the entire load. Isn't that why they have the Dual Rating? It may be a moot point - just curious.
No, that's not what "dual" means. It's like I described. In any situation where there are multiple tires on the same side if one tire blows the others will be carrying more weight than normal. Probably even the tires on the other axle end pick up some of the additional weight too.

I was told the reason for the "dual" rating was that the close proximity of the two tires on the same axle end cause additional heating thus reducing the weight rating. I don't know if that's true but I did read it on the internet so it must be fact.

I am sure of what tire manufacturers mean when the say "dual".
Old 01-28-2017, 02:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsallman1 View Post
Does anyone know if any of the plans you can buy like good sam roadside assistance or the others out there cover over damage to the trailer, or is it just help you get the tire dealt with? I have never seen clear guidance with it. I would IMAGINE they only replace the tire, sorry about the thousands of damage to the trailer, but if someone knows for sure I would love to know. I also wonder if the TV/RV insurance would kick in as well if something like this occurred so you would just be in for the deductible.

We have a 2016 trailer (purchased mid 2015) with the Rainiers and have around 10k-11 on them, took a 4000 mile trip last summer with no issues. We did keep it at 65 or less and checked them OFTEN however. Probably will replace them before we do another long trip, not worry too much if were staying within a few hundred miles is my thought.

I am interested to look at the manufacture date of the tires now based on this post.

Most roadside assistance plans just install your inflated and mounted spare on the trailer in the event of a blow out. You have to supply the ready to install spare. Anything else will usually incur a charge not covered by roadside assistance. I don't think any roadside assistance will help with damage to the trailer.

You'd have to read your own policy to determine if your TT insurance would cover such damage. I think most would after you pay the appropriate deductible. Of course you would then have to deal with the inevitable increased insurance premium too.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:26 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
I don't think mileage is as much of a concern as time. 3-5 years is the lifespan of tire tires regardless of miles. That being said, I think I'd get new tires before a long trip to Alaska. I hear the road up there aren't very good

Actually the Alaska Highway to Dawson City Yukon was excellent. But we are going further.. May have some dirt roads too.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:57 PM   #35

How can I determine the maximum load range tire for our 2016 Feather 23RBM? Is it stamped on the rim somewhere? I would imagine the higher load range tires require an upgraded rim (strength for added pressure?).
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:36 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
How can I determine the maximum load range tire for our 2016 Feather 23RBM? Is it stamped on the rim somewhere? I would imagine the higher load range tires require an upgraded rim (strength for added pressure?).
Your trailer is probably equipped with ST205/75R14 tires. Somewhere on them the load range (probably load range C) should be embossed big enough to read easily. It's gross weight is just under 6,000 pounds. Sitting on 4 tires, as it does, it's probably not too close to the load limit for those. They're probably not rated for over 65 mph, and there's probably not a speed rating listed on the tire. My trailer is 1,500 pounds heavier at gross weight, and was on the same tires. I went to a load range D tire with a speed rating of 81 mph. Usually the 14" wheels that come with these trailers will take the 65 psi required for load range D tires, as mine were. It was stamped on the wheel inside where is can't be seen with the tire on it.

The tire companies ratings are supposed to be the maximum load and speed these tires will take for continuous use. If the tire is manufactured perfectly to those standards, they'll probably hold up. Hit a big rock or a curb, or have the bad luck to have a tire with a manufacturing blemish... and you're on the side of the road changing a tire and later getting a damage estimate for your torn-up trailer... and not being a happy camper... (sorry for the corn-ball pun)...
Old 01-28-2017, 08:28 PM   #37
Site Team

This sticky in the General area of the forum has some good info on trailer tire questions.
Start at post #1.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...cts-29077.html
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 01-29-2017, 11:09 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
Rims are usually rated as to MAX PSI. It's usually stamped in to the rim itself. Find the most difficult spot to see while the wheel is mounted on the trailer and that's usually where they put the rating info.

Tires have their weight ratings and max pressure molded into the sidewall.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:02 PM   #39

Personal Experience

I've driven close to 3 million miles in an 18-wheeler, had many tire MALFUNCTIONS, and a lot of horror stories, plus a couple funnies!!!

We purchased a '16 264BHW last February, and it ALREADY has 4 new Carlisle 8 ply tires on it. We had made a Austin/Galveston trip, plus a couple <50 mile trips with the trailer. After getting the new TV, we found it had passenger car tires on it, for the trip to Galveston. Not a lot of fun. 51 PSI MAX, plus whatever the load rating was, it wandered all over the road. Was not happy at all. We got 10 ply LT tires, that have an 80# MAX AIR pressure rating, plus a very stiff sidewall to handle the weight.

Had the new TV tires on for the trip to DFW area in July, with the stock TT tires, the Rainier's. On our way home back to Austin we blew out a curbside rear tire. This tire had barely 500 miles on it, so I had no confidence in the others. These are 4 ply tires, with a 50 MPH, and a 51# MAX AIR pressure, stamped into the sidewall. I would put these on a 2000#GROSS WEIGHT trailer, and not much else. And we had 4 of them...

It's hard to believe a company like JAYCO would put such inferior, barely sufficient tires, on a 15K$ trailer. I just went outside and checked both units tires. Our '16 F-150 has the DT brand Pathfinder SAT tires with a single load rating of 3415# at 80PSI, and the new Carlisle tires are rated at 65PSI and have a 81MPH speed rating, with a SINGLE load rating of 2040#. I feel VERY confident in the new tire combo, and I'm guessing the only tire problems I'll have if I actually run over something.

The confidence did not come without it's costs, for sure. $725-plus for the truck tires, after spending 40+K for the truck, and over $425 for the trailer, all within a 3 month period.

We're doing a Branson/Kansas trip in April, totaling about 2200 miles, and I can't wait to get on the road. Will keep this thread in mind, and report any problems, IF we have any!!
kevcarr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:21 AM   #40

To late for already built Jayco trailers, but the company is now putting on Made in USA Goodyear Endurance ST tires on their trailers. They are now listed as a "mandatory" option. Of course the brand new designed and made Endurance ST tires have not been proven yet.

Hopefully, the Endurance will prove to be another top notch ST tire.

It's good to have top shelf choices WRT ST tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcarr59 View Post
I've driven close to 3 million miles in an 18-wheeler, had many tire MALFUNCTIONS, and a lot of horror stories, plus a couple funnies!!!

We purchased a '16 264BHW last February, and it ALREADY has 4 new Carlisle 8 ply tires on it. We had made a Austin/Galveston trip, plus a couple <50 mile trips with the trailer. After getting the new TV, we found it had passenger car tires on it, for the trip to Galveston. Not a lot of fun. 51 PSI MAX, plus whatever the load rating was, it wandered all over the road. Was not happy at all. We got 10 ply LT tires, that have an 80# MAX AIR pressure rating, plus a very stiff sidewall to handle the weight.

Had the new TV tires on for the trip to DFW area in July, with the stock TT tires, the Rainier's. On our way home back to Austin we blew out a curbside rear tire. This tire had barely 500 miles on it, so I had no confidence in the others. These are 4 ply tires, with a 50 MPH, and a 51# MAX AIR pressure, stamped into the sidewall. I would put these on a 2000#GROSS WEIGHT trailer, and not much else. And we had 4 of them...

It's hard to believe a company like JAYCO would put such inferior, barely sufficient tires, on a 15K$ trailer. I just went outside and checked both units tires. Our '16 F-150 has the DT brand Pathfinder SAT tires with a single load rating of 3415# at 80PSI, and the new Carlisle tires are rated at 65PSI and have a 81MPH speed rating, with a SINGLE load rating of 2040#. I feel VERY confident in the new tire combo, and I'm guessing the only tire problems I'll have if I actually run over something.

The confidence did not come without it's costs, for sure. $725-plus for the truck tires, after spending 40+K for the truck, and over $425 for the trailer, all within a 3 month period.

We're doing a Branson/Kansas trip in April, totaling about 2200 miles, and I can't wait to get on the road. Will keep this thread in mind, and report any problems, IF we have any!!
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote