Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2018, 12:17 PM   #1

Tub step through ?

Our little 195RB came with a tub only and the wife and I have never used the tub, only the shower. We are getting to the point where stepping over the tub to the shower is a little challenging. Does anyone have any experience with cutting the tub and making a step through?
I wish I had found this forum before this. Thanks
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:22 PM   #2

Kozmo- My wife and I have the same issue. As 70+ years old its somewhat challenging to make the step down from the tub. I like your idea and hope somebody responds on how to do this.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:19 PM   #3

Tub step through ?

Find out what material your tub is made out of. Then see if you can find an auto body place willing to cut that material and make a custom cap for the area cut out. If you find someone that does bodywork modifying a tub should be a piece of cake.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:33 PM   #4

I think the only way to do it right is pull the tub and put in a shower pan the same size, redo the side walls and install a shower door. If you try to cut the tub out and rebuild a low threshold you are going to have a mess. Check out this RV supply, not sure what size tub you have but this shower pan is 24x40, any plumber could do this kind of replacement. Lippert Shower Pan 24x40 White; ABS
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:58 AM   #5

I like the body shop idea. There are you tube videos about doing a home porcelain tub. There are inserts that slip right over and down the cut out you made. I was hoping there might be something like that for a plastic tub. Our trailer is not worth an investment to redo the bathroom. It would make more sense to buy a new trailer which isn't in the budget. I think with the proper materials, you could cover the cut out and it wouldn't look too bad. Thanks everybody.
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:19 AM   #6

Not seeing it first hand but you may be able to cut it out, fill the gaps with plywood and cover it with eternabond. Someone handy may be able to do it.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:11 AM   #7

It’s wallboard with a plastic tub shaped cap
The more realistic approach would to buy a North American Health and Wellness 4 inch step stool and put it in front of the toilet and get in the tub using it facing the rear
It’ll cost you fifteen bucks

This is our approach.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:36 AM   #8

Doable?? Probably but would I advise doing it?? Not on your life! These things are cheaply molded thin plastic fixtures that get their strength from the single piece mold shape. To explain, take something like a plastic freezer tub and cut out a deep U out of a big section of one side and you will quickly understand what happens when the structural integrity of a product is compromised. Done correctly using appropriate bonding material and you could probably end up with something that would stand up to very careful use without leaking but I personally would not recommend this modification.

Use the CG shower when ever available and when it is necessary to use the onboard shower, use a removable step you could buy or easily make yourself.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:08 AM   #9

And a step is really handy elsewhere like a campsite where you have to block up one side of the TT as it’s really undeveloped leaving quite a high bottom step

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 02-24-2018, 12:20 PM   #10

Like others, I believe you will be better served pulling out, or having the tub pulled out, and put in a shower pan and surround.

I doubt you'd be happy with what finished job would look like if you cut the side of the tub out. And you probably wouldn't save much money if you took pains to make the cut job look professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmo View Post
Our little 195RB came with a tub only and the wife and I have never used the tub, only the shower. We are getting to the point where stepping over the tub to the shower is a little challenging. Does anyone have any experience with cutting the tub and making a step through?
I wish I had found this forum before this. Thanks

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #11

A movable step is what I currently use in my trailer. I wish I had a large shower, but I don't, so I do what I can with what I have, which includes the step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Doable?? Probably but would I advise doing it?? Not on your life! These things are cheaply molded thin plastic fixtures that get their strength from the single piece mold shape. To explain, take something like a plastic freezer tub and cut out a deep U out of a big section of one side and you will quickly understand what happens when the structural integrity of a product is compromised. Done correctly using appropriate bonding material and you could probably end up with something that would stand up to very careful use without leaking but I personally would not recommend this modification.

Use the CG shower when ever available and when it is necessary to use the onboard shower, use a removable step you could buy or easily make yourself.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:51 PM   #12

I’ve got a 195.
Carve out a hole in the tub and you might as well take a wrecking ball to it. It will lose structural integrity.
Already the bottom oil cans
I am 72 the step works well for me so give it a shot

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 02-24-2018, 03:32 PM   #13

I have a small tub in my trailer and I can understand your problem. What I've noticed is the the bottom of the tub is higher than the floor so cutting the tub wall would solve only part of the problem. Getting out of the tub requires not only stepping over the tub wall but down about three inches onto the floor. I put a grab handle on the wall and it helps a lot as I have lousy balance. Perhaps you could make some sort of folding step that folds up against the tub when it's not in use.

Isn't getting old fun? I can't handle it--I'm too old to get old!
Old 02-24-2018, 04:14 PM   #14

The other issue and it will happen. The greywater tank isn’t big. Overflow goes on the tub
Cut too low and you could have a flood
It doesn’t take long to get a couple of inches in the tub

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in