Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2018, 04:39 PM   #1

Upgrade the dining seating in my 24RBS trailer

We have a 2016 24RBS that we love. I have upgraded the support for the bed (incl replacing the very cheap piano hinges) but now want to upgrade the dining seating.

I have removed the dining table (stored out in my shed) because we use this U shaped sitting area as more of a living room. The issue is that the padding in the cushions is not sufficient for 60 yo butts, esp. when watching a movie, etc.

Has anyone upgraded their dining seating area? I am looking for ideas on how best to 1) improve the plywood support (that should be easy) and 2) improve the padding in the seats, either by replacing the cushions ($$$) or adding a layer of butt support under the cushions.

I know that there a creative people out there and would love to hear what you have done to make the seating a bit more comfortable.
colodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:21 PM   #2

Just today, we bought two new "tombstones" for our 23RB. The guy at the foam store calls them that because each one is square at one end and slightly rounded at the other end. I got the firmest foam in his store. i'm tired of sitting down and my butt coming to rest on the board cover for the dinette storage.

We have the regular dinette. Today, we also removed that hateful table Jayco, and I think many other manufacturers, went to. The legs are heavy, not easily lifted into the up right position, and has to be lowered and raised every time the trailer moves. it is touted as a table than can be taken outside to be used. Right. That thing is too heavy to be taken in and out.

Now we will used folding aluminum tables when eating inside, and when the tables are put away, there is a ton more room to sit and talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colodaddy View Post
We have a 2016 24RBS that we love. I have upgraded the support for the bed (incl replacing the very cheap piano hinges) but now want to upgrade the dining seating.

I have removed the dining table (stored out in my shed) because we use this U shaped sitting area as more of a living room. The issue is that the padding in the cushions is not sufficient for 60 yo butts, esp. when watching a movie, etc.

Has anyone upgraded their dining seating area? I am looking for ideas on how best to 1) improve the plywood support (that should be easy) and 2) improve the padding in the seats, either by replacing the cushions ($$$) or adding a layer of butt support under the cushions.

I know that there a creative people out there and would love to hear what you have done to make the seating a bit more comfortable.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by colodaddy View Post

We have a 2017 of the same model and I have the same feeling about the cushions. They aren't even sufficient for 47/49 y/o butts!!
(ordered 5/9/16, arrived 10/17/16, brought home 4/14/17)
2005 Trail Cruiser TL-26QBH (sold)
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:34 PM   #4

Here’s an idea. With some cheap fabric to match, you could encase cut lengths and place beneath existing cushions. Need to check dimensions but I’m guessing 22” is gonna be pretty darn close. You just gave me an idea for my FK25 lol
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Future-F...FZdJDAodoDUPAw
Ubyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:36 PM   #5

Have you considered taking your existing cushions to an upholster and telling them you'd like same cushion just something more firmer. They're very familiar with what all the differant foams/paddings are and what would be best for your desire.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dining room, seating, upgrade