Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2020, 04:51 AM   #1

VIN verification

The sticker on the side of the travel trailer has been damaged and partially scraped off from a big tree limb falling down the side of my trailer.

A car has the vin on the label, usually inside the door, and also on a metal plate built into the dash which is viewable by looking through the bottom of the windshield, so...

Besides this sticker, is the VIN located on my travel trailer in any other location so that I can register this in another state where they want to verify the VIN by viewing it on the travel trailer?
tlm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:55 AM   #2
Site Team

Look inside cabinet doors in the kitchen or on the inside of the entrance door.

A reminder to all in the day of phone cameras, Take a picture of your sticker and make it a favorite in your picture collection.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:07 AM   #3

Look on your Title also your registration.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I have the title and registration. That isn't the point. It is that when changing states, some DMVs want to see the ID physically on the vehicle or trailer to verify that it matches the title and registration before transferring it to their state.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Look inside cabinet doors in the kitchen or on the inside of the entrance door.

A reminder to all in the day of phone cameras, Take a picture of your sticker and make it a favorite in your picture collection.

I guess you missed the point of my question... I know my VIN and I have my VIN number on my title and registration and original sales receipt. They need to see the actual VIN on the vehicle... a picture wouldn't do anyway... that could be from any trailer.

The point is that in many states when you bring a vehicle to transfer to their state, they must see the VIN on the vehicle to verify that it matches the title I have. It isn't on the cabinet doors or the entrance door.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:02 AM   #6

I haven't checked mine, but...

When I got my new to me Jayco, during my state yearly trailer safety inspection, my local guy said he double checks the VIN by the rear axle on the frame. He does it on all first time units he inspects. Great service
2008 Pilgrim 328 BHSS(sold)
1995 Jayco 264 BH(sold)
2012 Ram CC Cummins 4x4 SRW w/4.10 gears using Andersen Ultimate hitch
Rmgrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlm550 View Post
The sticker on the side of the travel trailer has been damaged and partially scraped off from a big tree limb falling down the side of my trailer.

A car has the vin on the label, usually inside the door, and also on a metal plate built into the dash which is viewable by looking through the bottom of the windshield, so...

Besides this sticker, is the VIN located on my travel trailer in any other location so that I can register this in another state where they want to verify the VIN by viewing it on the travel trailer?
I don't know about Jayco, but my Forest River trailer had the VIN stamped on the framing near the tongue. Frankly, I would be surprised if any company relied on a sticker as an identification.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:49 AM   #8

How old is your rig, did you buy it local? Some states will accept a letter from the dealer verifying the VIN also.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:04 AM   #9

I see you have a 145RB. I am not familiar with that particular unit.

I have found 3 sets of vin numbers on my TT. Two of them I remember where they are at. The 3rd not so much, but it is a spot I see all the time.
  • I have the outside yellow sticker like you mentioned.
  • I have one inside near the entrance of my TT. I feel like it might be on my door. I know I see it often, but space it out.
  • I have a hidden VIN number under my TT. In my case it is attached to the floor, in the rear corner, passenger side, behind my tanks. I have to be laying in just the right spot and look straight up to see it. Big white label with black letters. The letters are probably 1" tall.

I have never seen a vin number at my tongue, but if I looked under the frame, with the tanks and battery removed, maybe there is a hidden one in the area. But I have never seen one at the tongue.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:07 AM   #10

Just the other day I saw a sticker on the frame with the serial #from the frame manufacture. Coincidentally, the same as my jayco vin. Could this be how jayco assigns the vin? Follows the frame? On old air cooled vw's, the vin follows the pan, not the body.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:07 AM   #11

Call the DMV in the state your going to and ask how they check the VIN#. When I came to Washington State they ran my drivers license first, found nothing suspicious on my name then just accepted the #s on reg. & title. ( 3 cars 1 truck & 1 trailer plus the wife.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:25 AM   #12
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post

Yes, beat me to it Title and/or registration. If you took it in for work at an repair shop check their invoice. It will be there too.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin