Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2015, 06:48 AM   #51

We use the cell phone trick all the time for even more than spotting. Ok I'm about to turn on the water let me know if you see or hear any water leaking, or hey I'm on the roof and forgot x please toss it up.

Beats yelling, we prefer to watch the entertainment from others than to be the entertainment.

Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:06 AM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
We use the cell phone trick all the time for even more than spotting.
Beats yelling, we prefer to watch the entertainment from others than to be the entertainment.
X2

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:29 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
We use walkie talkies by ...snip.. (Midland)
I back, she watches and makes comments about distance to tree that I can't see and such. I get out and look if needed.
Works for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
We use the ...snip... (walkie talkies) all the time for even more than spotting. ...snip...
Also when one (usually DW) takes the dogs for a walk and the other (usually me) stays near the camp site. We usually have a cell connection, but not always.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #54

Since this oldish thread got revived, our system has changed. We used to use the radios, but like many others here, they're always dead, and sometimes I have batteries, and sometimes I don't. The problem is that they will always be dead since we use the radios so infrequently, and then they sit for a couple months in the hot truck.

So after MUCH practice, we have gotten to where we can use a couple hand signals (and no, I haven't been "number one" in a long time! and neither has she!). Granted, the first couple times were pretty tense, but we've got the hang of it now. Practice Practice Practice!

I usually pull up to a spot and get to where I think I'm lined up to enter the site and get out and look. I tell DW (my faithful spotter) about things I'm concerned about hitting or driving off of and where I would like the trailer to be, mostly she already knows, but we still talk about them. I remind her to stay where I can see her, and that if I can't see her, I will stop until I can see her (sometimes she needs to move to get a better look at something). If I get too close to hitting something, she is to YELL "STOP!!" regardless of the consequences or who it bothers and I will stop immediately.

This weekend she towed for the first time, and insisted that she could back the trailer into the driveway ("if you can do it, I can do it"). So after about 15 minutes of going back and forth in front of the house, I finally leaned over from the passenger seat and turned the wheel FOR her, and we finished up. I think it's important for BOTH parties to experience the others' position so you BOTH know what you're up against. This helps you direct each other better because you know what the other is seeing.

The biggest piece of advice I can give is SLOW DOWN. When I first started out, I was in some kind of hurry (I don't know why). Once I figured out to just take a deep breath and slow down, the whole process got A LOT easier for both of us. And in fact, because I slowed down, I can actually get it done FASTER because I have fewer mistakes to correct!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:20 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
This weekend she towed for the first time, and insisted that she could back the trailer into the driveway ("if you can do it, I can do it"). So after about 15 minutes of going back and forth in front of the house, I finally leaned over from the passenger seat and turned the wheel FOR her, and we finished up. I think it's important for BOTH parties to experience the others' position so you BOTH know what you're up against. This helps you direct each other better because you know what the other is seeing.
KUDOS! We've begun sharing the joy (towing, backing, set-up/tear-down, etc.) too, it has been a real confidence booster for me and makes for interesting conversations as we mosey down the road. I'm working on extending the joy to his learning the laundry, cleaning, cooking ... but it seems he always has something better to do.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
snip...
We used to use the radios, but like many others here, they're always dead, and sometimes I have batteries, and sometimes I don't. The problem is that they will always be dead since we use the radios so infrequently, and then they sit for a couple months in the hot truck.
...snip
For anyone considering radios...
Our units came with a rechargeable battery pack with the ability to use AA batteries (either regular or rechargeable) plus the included charger uses either 120v AC or 12v (cigarette lighter plug). In short, lots of ways for us to be sure the radios aren't dead when we need them.

We leave our radios off unless we are using them. We've used them a couple of times for short durations to back in ('blindside' ) and it's been a month or more since they were charged; they are still virtually fully charged.

They've worked well for us.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
I must say, having a campground audience making observations with beer-in-hand certainly adds a layer of tension. .
If I have trouble backing in or setting up or breaking camp, it's usually because someone has "volunteered" to help. DW and I have this. If I need help, I'll ask for it!

cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 way, campground, two way, walkie talkie