Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-30-2014, 12:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
Big expert here (NOT). But run your electric during normal times to just keep hot water around for dishes, washing hands, small things like that. Right before everyone starts their showers hit the gas button as well. Once finished go back to electric only. Our one and only outing with our new TT we did just electric the 1st night and it struggled over 3 showers. The second night I hit the gas and had plenty of hot for 5 showers.
I'm gonna try this thanks!

Old 01-30-2014, 12:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywendolyn View Post
Before you fiddle with the gas/electric, the best way to extend your hot water is to purchace one of these oxiginated shower heads. They double the shower length you can take. Definetly one of the smartest purchaces we have made for our RV. Here is a link to one at camping world..http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...it-white/68324
Thanks, I'm gonna try this, if nothing else for better pressure!

I think I just located one at a store 7 miles from me! Gonna try and stop by after work today.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #13

We use electric all the time except when showering.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2007 Tahoe toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:39 AM   #14

We have a ten gallon HWH and get all the hot water we need for a long shower using just the electric side. With just two of us there's no need to rush the recovery with gas & electric. But when stopping for one-nighters I do use the gas for the initial warm up. I haven't timed it but the gas does heat the water up quicker than electric.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #15

X2 on the 10 gallon WH. In the summer, you can stand in the shower for 20 minutes and still not run out of hot water and that's on the electric side. I do run it on gas periodically to test that function as well.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:46 PM   #16

How long does it take to heat up using electric on Attwood 6 dsi? I have tried it today (dewinterizing), gas worked great, in 30 min hot water, electric did not want to heat up. This is a brand new Jayco and first time turning Wh on electric. I left it for two ours after running it on gas, I did let it cooled down before electric start. After two hours it was same. not even warm. I don't think its a heat element. proper procedure was followed before firing up. does it really take long time on electric?
zlaninomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

No, in most cases the HWH warm-up time is about the same (electric/LP). Check that the HWH breaker wasn't tripped in the breaker/fuse panel..., if nothing obvious then a visit to your RV dealer may be required.

I assume that you have the exterior 30amp shore power cord connected to an electric power source, and that the HWH isn't in by-pass mode (LP may have warmed some water in by-pass line).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Yep, this will give you a faster recovery.
I just learned something new today. I never would have hit both buttons; thanks much.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
You can use both at the same time.
Very interesting. I never thought of that. With my previous Lance TT, it had 6 gal quick recovery water heater. Also, I had the Oxygenics shower heads (one of the best upgrades in RV). The Water heater was always in electric mode- why use gas while I am paying for electricity at the campsite, right?

Anyway, while the Oxygenics helped a great deal in preservation of hot water still the water heater couldn't keep up with two full showers. I wish I knew the trick of turning on both gas and electric heater simultaneously back then.

Oh well, I just learned something new today.

Our new Jayco Eagle Touring is coming with a 10 gal quick recovery water heater. Hopefully, this would help keep up with only electric mode. If not, I am hitting both switches right before the showers.
PKEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #20

I have found the biggest reason for slow heating is in coming water temps. In the summer when the water is hot we can usually get by on just electric. In fall, winter and early spring we use both.

lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote