Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-07-2019, 06:07 PM   #1

Water on counter

This is 2 years in a row that I have had an odd water issue. I in our 2010 304bhk last year during the winter we had a small water circle maybe 3 inches in circle on the counter near the back of the stove and got some swelling near backsplash. I thought it was the microwave bent not being sealed tight.

New year and this year the water spot was on the end of the counter near the door and we got some small separation of the edge of countertop.

It could maybe be the vent again because the trailer is a little nose down but I can't find anywhere else it could be from.

Anyone have similar issue?
Cshenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:36 PM   #2
CAG

No similar issues but I think you are on the right track. You may want to reseal the vent and see what happens.

You might want to get it done soon as mold and wood damage can be an issue.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #3

I don't think it's the seal so much as wind blowing the cover open. I think I will stuff something to keep the flap from being able to move. The clips are closed but I think when its wind and rain that's where it gets in.
Cshenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #4

You looked carefully all over the roof, to see if there are cracks in any caulking, lap joints, trim strips, what-have-you ?
I just discovered a leak myself where the Dicor sealant around a bathroom skylight had separated slightly from the TPO roof. I took my pen knife to poke around under the sealant and found several places where is was slipping under it.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #5

I have checked all of the roof. The strange thing is that there are no water marks anywhere and nothing on roof that could leak to this space without down a wall or through a cabinet....

Also both times that I have found it were a few days after a very windy and rainy event.

only 2 times have i found this water. 1 time each winter that I have owned the TT
Old 12-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cshenberger View Post
. . . nothing on roof that could leak to this space without down a wall or through a cabinet....
I'm not sure I totally understand that.
You mean, nothing on the roof that could leak, without it going down a wall or through a cabinet . . . And if that's the case, you'd see water on the wall or in the cabinet, but you don't, so it can't be a roof leak ?

Anyway, the wind seems key. Wind can drive thing into places it might normally not go.
On a building here in San Francisco it looks like some strong horizontal-ish winds drove some rain up under an HVAC duct cap on the roof, then down the ducting to the inside of the building. It was dripping from inside the ducting.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #7

Kbarb,

Yeah in order to get water on the counter where it is from a roof leak it, water would either have to go through a cabinet or down a wall.

Neither has any look of where water may have been like streaks or spots....

I haven't bene back to the camper since I saw the water and cleaned it up but I know that last year the microwave vent tabs were not latched so I suspected the wind. this year they were but sure seems like the only place it could have come from.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:04 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

What about the window located a couple inches above your 304BHK's kitchen counter surface? The water collection spot location may be depended on tongue up/level/down during the two winters.

Had a similar issue with my prior '05' Eagle's kitchen counter window...., root cause was moisture was getting behind the metal gutter rail (wall/roof) and used the rail mounting screws to get into the wall, moisture reached the window frame within the wall, then would exit out at the bottom of the window frame onto the counter and outside wall surface. In my case it left behind brown stain spots (from Filon wall adhesive).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote