Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2023, 02:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby_OG View Post
...My vehicle is a 2020 Ford F-150 8cyl XLT Lariat Supercrew with a GVWR of 7000lbs. I believe it has built in anti sway...
I've never heard of an anti-sway option. I don't think you have one. You may have a tow package. That includes a brake controller, hitch, and perhaps a bigger radiator.

I have a 2017 F150 with the 3.5 echoboost. I tow a 24RBS. The 3.5 has a bit more power but your setup should tow similar to mine. You should have no problem towing your new camper.

You need a weight distributing hitch. I suggest an a sway bar. The sway bar might not be necessary for short hauls in light winds but you are better off with it. When big-rigs pass you, or vice-verse, the ass-end of your camper will get pushed away, causing the tow vehicle to swing slightly in to compensate. This isn't harmful but it's a bit unnerving. The sway bar helps minimize that and is strongly suggested in windy conditions. Weight distribution is required to extend your towing capacity per your owner's manual.

Some hitches have built-in anti-sway. Mine is a Recurve and has such a feature. I think the Equalizer also includes sway control. Ask your dealer what he recommends.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 02:53 PM   #22

Over the years so many stability controls have been layered on top of one another, starting with ABS, that it is hard to keep up with. Sway control does exist on my 2019 F150, here is how it is worded:
Quote:
Our trailer sway control feature works with AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control™ (RSC™), using the sensor that measures yaw motion to determine if the trailer is swaying. If necessary, trailer sway control applies precise asymmetric braking or adjusted engine torque to help bring both vehicle and trailer under control.
Andersen is one of the Anti-sway manufacturers that suggest turning it off. I've experimented both ways (turned it off in the firmware so I didn't have to remember doing it each start), and didn't see/feel any difference, so I turned it back on.
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 04:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Hello all,

I bought a Travel trailer, 2022 Jayco Jay Flight SLXW242 BHS (GVWR 7000lbs) on a whim as it was a one day blowout deal I have actually been looking for years but took the leap that day. Have not picked it up so looking for some advice to get me started.

My vehicle is a 2020 Ford F-150 8cyl XLT Lariat Supercrew with a GVWR of 7000lbs. I believe it has built in anti sway. At least that’s an option i saw using the VIN decoder. Not sure how accurate that is? ����*♂️

Looking for advice on a WDH Anti sway system. I don’t mind paying more to be as safe as possible, especially considering i have never driven anything like this.

Any other advice is welcome as well. I literally have not picked up or done anything for this new hobby so trying to wrangle in some veteran advice so we can hit the ground running in the spring !

Thanks in advance !
We've logged well over 14,000 miles on our 6000 lb TT towing with a RAM 1500 utilizing the Husky Centerline TS hitch. Been in some really tricky wind conditions with nary a problem. Great WD/sway control! Highly recommend.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:10 PM   #24

Equalizer or it's smaller cousins, the Fastway E2 line.
I use the E2 trunnion 8k hitch. I love it. Easy to set up. Easy to use. No issues backing up or tight turns.
Can easily be readjusted as needed.
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...2-00-0800.html

Simple video install and set up.

The difference is the Equalizer uses 4 points of anti sway friction, the E2 uses 2.
My trailer is 6400lbs. I tow with a GMC Sierra 1500 Denali. Never had an issue with high winds or 18 wheelers zooming by. There is always going to be sway, but the hitch does it's job keeping my heart rate normal while towing!
Recommended.
David
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 10:24 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBr View Post
...Sway control does exist on my 2019 F150...
I stand corrected. I'd never heard of a vehicle with built-in sway control. Reading the Ford description however leads me to believe that it isn't a substitute for sway bars.

"Trailer sway control is an enhanced feature of stability control system and automatically detects when an attached trailer starts to sway. This feature applies your vehicle brakes at individual wheels and if necessary, reduces engine power."
I'm not sure I'd want my brakes to be continually applied to reduce sway and I definitely don't want power reduced. It might be useful in conjunction with a good hitch that has sway control. Still, I wouldn't want my brakes worn down because my RV sways a bit. I'd be interested to hear from folks who have this feature.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 10:28 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCarter View Post
leads me to believe that it isn't a substitute for sway bars.....I'd be interested to hear from folks who have this feature.
I'm fairly sure mine has never kicked in. Agreed that it is not a substitute for a good sway bar (or other sway control like the Andersen). Numerous comments around the web have noted that, as described, it doesn't prevent sway, it just kicks in after sway has started. With a decent anti-sway device there would rarely be a situation where it would kick in.
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

Old 02-09-2023, 12:09 PM   #27

I will only say that our hitch, the Husky Centerline TS has performed admirably in all conditions we have encountered, some of which were extreme, thus far. What is paramount is insuring that the hitch is properly configured so that it can do it's designed purpose.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 09:38 AM   #28

I agree with Rich Carter.
My Denali says it's does that too... But it's never kicked in.
I think I like the manual control of the hitch system and my driving habits better.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 06:09 PM   #29

Quote:
That built in scale is a smart feature!
I have since learned Weigh Safe hitches are not recommended to be used with Jayco travel trailers due to the coupler being installed on top of the trailer frame instead of the bottom of the frame like most other travel trailer manufacturers.

I apologize for the misinformation. I just recently found this out.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 06:41 PM   #30

If mine has ever kicked in I've never noticed it and I have about 15,000 miles from mountain to prairie. My understanding this is an emergency system that only kicks in when life gets really exciting. After watching catastrophic sway situations I'm in favor or help. Much like antilock brakes, collision avoidance, etc.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:56 PM   #31

I'm guessing it is a mistype, but many, if not all Jaycos are "underslung" (bottom mount) while most common others are top mount. Images of the Weigh Safe always show them with top mount couplers.

Old 02-20-2023, 10:01 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

I believe the Jay Flight SLX models are the only Jayco TT's with a top mounted coupler. Not sure if the A-frame dimensions fall within the Weigh Safe specifications.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 05:49 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBr View Post
I'm guessing it is a mistype, but many, if not all Jaycos are "underslung" (bottom mount) while most common others are top mount. Images of the Weigh Safe always show them with top mount couplers.
It is a mistake sorry guys. I tried to edit my post right after I submitted it but looks like my edit didn't save. My coupler is an underslung coupler and mounted on the bottom of the trailer frame and not the top.
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 08:31 PM   #34

Been some great answers and discussion - but I'll add my 2 cents in anyways!

Towed a 28' BH all across Ontario with an F150 5.0 and a Fastway e2. Worked fantastic; although it is a bit noisy (just a factor of how they work) - so you if you're one to roll in late, or leave early - your neighbors won't love you.

When I got the Jayco (SLX 26' BH) - went with an Equalizer 4-point. All the same benefits of the Fastway, but all the same draw backs, too...

There's pro's and con's to all the WDH/sway control setups - but I do like the trunion bar ones over chains, personally.
OntFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:21 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCarter View Post
Ask your dealer what he recommends.
I'm not sure I'd follow that advice. I'd do my own research long before asking a dealer. Or if you do ask the dealer use that as part of your research, not a decision maker. He is going to sell you what he has on the shelf. Or what hitch makes him the most money on the transaction.

I'd go one step further also, I'd install it myself too.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:45 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riich View Post
I'm not sure I'd follow that advice. I'd do my own research long before asking a dealer. Or if you do ask the dealer use that as part of your research, not a decision maker. He is going to sell you what he has on the shelf. Or what hitch makes him the most money on the transaction.

I'd go one step further also, I'd install it myself too.
And the random Internet stranger could be a paid employee of the manufacturers or a bot.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-sway. hitch safety, new here, ontario, towing capacity, weight distibution hitch