Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2019, 07:32 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamyb01 View Post
I can't seem to find one with a 2" ball.. My TT was just delivered yesterday and was told it was a 2" ball. It does not say anywhere on the tounge of the trailer what size it is. Will see this afternoon if a 2 5/16 will fit or notm

If it is a 2” ball you can get a weight distribution hitch without a ball and put a 2” on it. Or if you have one with a 2 5/16” ball you can replace it with a 2” ball. They’re not that expensive.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:36 AM   #22
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelO View Post
If it is a 2” ball you can get a weight distribution hitch without a ball and put a 2” on it. Or if you have one with a 2 5/16” ball you can replace it with a 2” ball. They’re not that expensive.
'Zactly. I think the Blue Ox doesn't even come with one and you have to source it yourself.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:34 AM   #23

If your trailer is a 2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS I seriously doubt that it uses a 2" ball. The ball size should be stamped on the top of the hitch behind the coupler. All TT's I ever seen use a 2 /16" ball. Call Jayco and ask them if you can't find it on the hitch.

I would suggest that you have a good hitch installer install your hitch. It takes a lot of large sockets and wrenches, plus a torque wrench that will go to at least 250 ft pounds of torque for the hitch bolts. The ball is recommended to be torque to 450 ft pounds of torque. If the hitch is installed incorrectly it can do more damage than good.
Route 66 Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
If your trailer is a 2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS I seriously doubt that it uses a 2" ball. The ball size should be stamped on the top of the hitch behind the coupler. All TT's I ever seen use a 2 /16" ball. Call Jayco and ask them if you can't find it on the hitch.

I would suggest that you have a good hitch installer install your hitch. It takes a lot of large sockets and wrenches, plus a torque wrench that will go to at least 250 ft pounds of torque for the hitch bolts. The ball is recommended to be torque to 450 ft pounds of torque. If the hitch is installed incorrectly it can do more damage than good.

Yeah I'm probably gonna take it to a shop to have it done.. That's a lot of weight and money being pulled around. I'm not gonna take a chance
Jamyb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJR View Post
'Zactly. I think the Blue Ox doesn't even come with one and you have to source it yourself.
And be aware with the Blue Ox - they don't actually sell a ball that fits the SwayPro as I recently found out. I ordered a 2 5/16" ball from their accessories section but had some concerns about it having a 1" rise. I called Blue Ox support and asked them about it and was told that none of the balls they sell are certified with the SwayPro - go figure. It would be nice if they actually indicated that somewhere on the product descriptions.

I second Route 66 Traveler's recommendation to have it installed by a good quality hitch shop. I saw the torque wrench they used for the 450 ft-lb required for the ball on my Blue Ox and it was at least 3' long, if not a bit longer.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
And be aware with the Blue Ox - they don't actually sell a ball that fits the SwayPro as I recently found out. I ordered a 2 5/16" ball from their accessories section but had some concerns about it having a 1" rise. I called Blue Ox support and asked them about it and was told that none of the balls they sell are certified with the SwayPro - go figure. It would be nice if they actually indicated that somewhere on the product descriptions.

I second Route 66 Traveler's recommendation to have it installed by a good quality hitch shop. I saw the torque wrench they used for the 450 ft-lb required for the ball on my Blue Ox and it was at least 3' long, if not a bit longer.

Thanks for the heads up
Old 08-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #27

Decided on this one and having camping world install it
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_2019-08-19-13-31-13.jpg  
Old 08-21-2019, 12:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Decided on this one and having camping world install it

great choice, real happy with mine

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #29

Smile

We have used a Curt on our Silverado pulling a 23 ft. rlsw an are very happy with it.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #30

Hitch for new travel trailer

We are cheerleaders for the Anderson WDH system.
While it can be a pain reconnecting on occasion, after repeated use it gets way easier.
No bars to deal with and no clunks, rattles and groans during use either. I love the quiet ride when connected. We've used our Anderson hitch on our old 33 foot travel trailer and now on our 20 foot Winnebago Micro Minnie trailer. We traded the 33 Wildcat Maxx travel trailer in for our 34 foot Jayco Eagle HT 5th wheel. When towing the Wildcat Max we never had any sway problems at any time and that included one time it was blowing about 40 MPH and a direct crosswind on the I-15 going to Idaho Falls. Even those big class A motor homes were going down the road leaning over from the winds. I did have to slow down to about 50 MPH but no sway or white knuckles! The Micro Minnie is so lite you can't tell anyway.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:48 PM   #31

I have the exact same camper and my truck is a 2018 Ford F-150 with a 3.5 EcoBoost 10 speed auto can I use the blue ox hitch and it's awesome no noise no sway you can back up without unhooking it's amazing and I've used the equalizers and they were good but they were pretty loud but they're all a good choice you can't go wrong with really most of us on the market these days
marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:40 PM   #32

WD Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingteacher79 View Post
I have a Husky Center Line TS hitch, which is quite similar to the Equalizer. I've had two successful towing seasons with it, no sway or any problems in heavy winds or rain.
X2 Husky Center Line TS has been a great hitch
Jack N Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:41 PM   #33

Dealer/installer more important than brand

Since you are new to this, let your hitch dealer help you decide. Most of these recommendations are spot on and will work fine (I pull my 24RBS with a F250 gas and use a Reese WDH with sway). Your Trailer is well balanced and designed. Find a good local dealer you feel you can trust, tell them what you have, tell them you want setup included in the price (if they don't install what they sell, walk away). Ask them for a day or two to sleep on it and recheck this forum; read some reviews. When you're ready and purchase you'll have someone to guide you and help with issues if they arise.
daveswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:22 PM   #34

I use the Husky centerline TS and am very happy with it. Towing my Jayco 212QB with a Ram classic 3.6 w/tow package. Use a good quality "dry" lubricant on the ball and bar contact points. Grease is too messy and attracts dirt.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #35

Quote:
Hello to everyone,
I'm a newbie to the travel trailer world.. I just bought my first travel trailer it's a 2017 Jaco Jay Flight 24RBS. I was wondering what weight distribution hitch would be a good match? I have a 2013 Ford F-150 kingranch 4wd with the 3.5 ecoboost..
Any really. I used Reese before getting a 5th wheel but any good name brand will do. Be sure to also use some sort of sway control device as well. Some hitches have it built in. Enjoy your new home away from home.
Joenissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:32 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdbrwn View Post
We are cheerleaders for the Anderson WDH system.
While it can be a pain reconnecting on occasion, after repeated use it gets way easier.
No bars to deal with and no clunks, rattles and groans during use either. I love the quiet ride when connected. We've used our Anderson hitch on our old 33 foot travel trailer and now on our 20 foot Winnebago Micro Minnie trailer. We traded the 33 Wildcat Maxx travel trailer in for our 34 foot Jayco Eagle HT 5th wheel. When towing the Wildcat Max we never had any sway problems at any time and that included one time it was blowing about 40 MPH and a direct crosswind on the I-15 going to Idaho Falls. Even those big class A motor homes were going down the road leaning over from the winds. I did have to slow down to about 50 MPH but no sway or white knuckles! The Micro Minnie is so lite you can't tell anyway.
I agree wholeheartedly with the above recommendation for an Anderson hitch. Lightweight, easy to install, and works like a charm. We have used it on two trailers (28BHBE and 31QBDS) and have never had any issues even at speed in crosswinds. It would be worth your while to investigate the considerable advantages of this setup. And yes, it is whisperquiet under all conditions.
RKHengst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:22 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKHengst View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with the above recommendation for an Anderson hitch. Lightweight, easy to install, and works like a charm. We have used it on two trailers (28BHBE and 31QBDS) and have never had any issues even at speed in crosswinds. It would be worth your while to investigate the considerable advantages of this setup. And yes, it is whisperquiet under all conditions.
Agreed 100%. We are on our 3rd season with our Andersen. Absolutely amazing piece of equipment.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:41 PM   #38

I've also been a fan of the Andersen having used it from day one on our 195RB Baja - almost 5 years and 25K miles with only 1 issue that Andersen support responded to very quickly. So I was a little disappointed that new 16K/1600 tongue Andersen didn't seem to do as well as I would have liked on our recent upgrade. Not sure what it is about the new truck/trailer combo but the new Andersen just didn't to handle the ~1200lb tongue weight as evidenced by the much better experience with the Blue Ox 15K/1500 hitch we swapped it out for.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:31 PM   #39

Well I got the equalizer installed today and man what a difference in pulling in down the interstate. It's like night and day difference.. Now the next step is to get some more power out of that 3.5 ecoboost lol
Old 08-21-2019, 09:08 PM   #40

There are many good WDs out there. Have used Equalizer 4 point system for years. Won’t leave home without it. Always feel like have control, even when suddenly find strong crosswind or get passed by large rig.
jpurvis is offline   Reply With Quote