Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2020, 02:51 PM   #1

What could have POSSIBLY caused this???!!!

I was on my maiden voyage with our recently purchased rig and was walking thru the campground when this caught me eye.

Immediately, I'm thinking....this does NOT look good. For the life of me I can't quite figure out exactly what went wrong here. I briefly spoke with the guy and he rented the RV for the weekend and he had no clue what happened other than it woke up his entire family in the dead of the night as the tank broke the straps and fell to the ground.

- I thought holding tanks had overflow hoses that would keep it from swelling like a balloon?

- The holding straps look like AC duct work straps....hardly beefy enough to hold up a full water tank (at least in my opinion)

- The one image shows water coming back OUT of the fresh water holding tank inlet.

If anyone would like to give their theory on what potentially happened here, I'm all ears....I definitely want to prevent this from ever happening to us!

Thanks again.

~Jason
2018 Jayco 26BH
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail_IMG_7708.jpg   thumbnail_IMG_7710.jpg   thumbnail_IMG_7709.jpg  
Jb35sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:58 PM   #2

He had the water valves set wrong or the pump check valve is bad and the overflow is shut/blocked off. Tank over filled and "boom"..... That short white hose is the overflow
Old 06-01-2020, 03:00 PM   #3

That's interesting.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:10 PM   #4

Wow! I've never seen a tank that swollen!

I guess that's proof positive that you need to be careful blocking the overflow hoses to limit loss of fresh water in transit...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:26 PM   #5

overflow was blocked.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:26 PM   #6
CAG

Yeah, that tank is way overfilled. It probably popped the straps and things went south from there.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:29 PM   #7

That's exactly why I do not cap or shut off my overflow tubes.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:49 AM   #8

What brand of trailer was it? Curious if it was a Jayco product or a SOB

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:05 AM   #9

Looks like someone put a clamp and a valve on the end of the overflow. This is the result when that valve is closed. Don't have a valve installed on the new one. My guess is the check valve failed on the pump and the tank kept filling way passed full. The fill cap must have been in place. Get a now pump during the fix.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:58 AM   #10
Site Team

It will be interesting when he returns the rv. If the owner plugged the overflow, he learned a hard lesson.

The straps are not intended to support the full tank. It is held in place by sitting on a L bracket or support formed into the tank that rests on a structural member of the frame. The tank appears to be distorted from being overfilled and that is likely what caused the tank to slip out of its normal place of support.

If he had city water, there would be no real reason to have the tank filled. It could be that he did not know any better.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:13 AM   #11
Site Team

I think all the previous posters missed the key clue that caused this FWT to break loose from its holding straps; and the clue has nothing to do with the TT. Look at the ground in every picture. THERE'S SNOW.

This poor TT was sitting outside with a full FWT in below freezing weather for so long that the water in the tank froze solid causing the tank to expand against the floor of the TT, pushing the tank downward until the holding straps let go.

A contributing factor to the disaster was renter was inexperienced and unaware, of the fact that the TT wasn't equipped with heaters to prevent the holding tanks from freezing.

The black and gray holding tanks most likely escaped a similar fate because they were probably not full.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
I think all the previous posters missed the key clue that caused this FWT to break loose from its holding straps; and the clue has nothing to do with the TT. Look at the ground in every picture. THERE'S SNOW.
I think you're seeing light reflections. The person sitting out in the lawn chair is in shorts (Look past the tank).. Also OP is from TAMPA.

It would take very cold temps to freeze a full tank and probably a couple days,
Old 06-04-2020, 07:21 AM   #13

Quote:

This poor TT was sitting outside with a full FWT in below freezing weather for so long that the water in the tank froze solid causing the tank to expand against the floor of the TT, pushing the tank downward until the holding straps let go.

A contributing factor to the disaster was renter was inexperienced and unaware, of the fact that the TT wasn't equipped with heaters to prevent the holding tanks from freezing.

The black and gray holding tanks most likely escaped a similar fate because they were probably not full.
While I agree that a freeze could cause this kind of damage, I'm not sure that's snow you're seeing in the pictures. Context clues like short sleeves, short pants and flip-flops would indicate it's not that cold there at that time (DW thinks I'm crazy, but even I wouldn't be walking around in flip-flops with snow on the ground. Shorts? Sure, but I'd be wearing actual shoes). Plus those look like long pine needles in the leaves on the ground; Southern pines have pine needles like that. Plus the OP is from Tampa.

Nope, I think they're in Florida somewhere, and what you're seeing as snow is probably sand.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 06-04-2020, 08:41 AM   #14
Site Team

You might be right about sand, Bob, but I'm puzzled as to why the sand appears to stop near the perimeter of the TT and there's no sand underneath it. I tried to enlarge the pictures but there's not enough resolution and they begin to pixelate.

If that's sand, then, like others have already posted, something malfunctioned to cause the city water to backup into the FWT, making it bulge to the point of bursting until the holding straps let go.

Up here in the north, we have people in the neighborhood that come outside in frigid weather wearing shorts and t-shirts. However, I'm always cold. The temperature in this room is currently 74 degrees and I'm sitting here in jeans and a sweatshirt.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:47 AM   #15

It looked like bright sun past the TT. The foreground is in shade. Cell phone cameras aren't always the best at capturing such high contrast.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:49 AM   #16

On the bottom picture, the overflow hose looks to have some type of cap on it.

Not a good day!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:52 AM   #17
CAG

Quote:
You might be right about sand
Nope. Sunlight on part of the photo and shade on some.

While it appears that this could have been a stuck valve I can tell you from experience that if you turn a city water hose on full, and have it in the fill hole and then walk away the overflow will not keep up with the inflow when the tank reaches full and will expand the tank greatly. Luckily, in my case I caught it before it did damage but when I pulled the hose out of the fill, it was like "Old Faithful" for a good 20 seconds. I got a good cold water shower.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:30 AM   #18

The leaves on the ground look like sand live oak leaves...those trees are common around the gulf states.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
The leaves on the ground look like sand live oak leaves...those trees are common around the gulf states.
That's what I'm thinking.

The sand I was talking about can be seen under the live oak leaves and pine needles. I agree, in the background is reflection.

Anyway, you can see that the overflow has something on the end. Makes me think twice about the valves I have on my overflows.

I have 3x overflow/vent hoses. I have 1/2 turn valves on 2 of them. Thankfully (?) my tank fills so incredibly slow, the one open hose is enough so the tank doesn't blow up, and also enough so all my water doesn't end up on the road in transit.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 06-04-2020, 01:23 PM   #20

Boom

Quote:

I kinda disagree, sorta...Some of the people I go to Texas Motor Speedway with live in Austin, Tx. In November 2017 they left TMS with 2/3rds load of water and figured it would be ok to fill up before storing for the winter at an UNHEATED facility with no power. The day they picked up to take the trailer home to load up in March 2018, it was raining. On December 31 at 200am, temperatures went below freezing, did not get above freezing again until January 3. The sustained low temperature as between 21-23 degrees f for several (and at night) January 1-2. January 16 at approximately 1230am it again froze, this time going as low as 16 degrees with 18 mph north wind, and not getting above freezing until after 800am January 18.
They arrived at the speedway and 'topped off' the water. The tt began running water out of it's underside nearly immediately. Being the friend I am, and a little mechanically minded, I crawled up under the rig and found the FWT where protrusion for the fill hose attaches, broken out on the top and both sides. The hose was intact. The vent was still attached. but a 5 inch by 5 inch square block of the tank was only attached at the bottom. The tank would only fill about half way with lots of water escaping around the breach. I told the owner to fix it when he got home, marine epoxy and lots of tape...he got an estimate of $1950.00 to replace the FWT because the axles had to come out from under it to access it. Hope he learned his lesson: NEVER store with a full FWT. Even in Austin, Tx.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote