Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2019, 10:55 PM   #1

Question What temp must I winterize for?? 2012 jayco jayflight OREGON

Hi,
Our jayco is new to us.
It is suddenly going to be 25 degrees here in oregon tonight. It is unusual for this time of year here. I am caught off guard. The trailer is outside and currently uncovered. I have it plugged in and the heat set to 60 inside. Will this most likely be ok? It seems very insulated but i just wanted to get other, more expert, opinions. I will blow out the water system very soon.
Also how do i change my name on here? I have looked everywhere.
THANK YOU FOR THIS AWESOME FORUM!
Attached Thumbnails
20191029_152045.jpg   20191029_145632.jpg   20191029_145516.jpg  
oregon jayflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:30 AM   #2

You should be ok with the heat set at 60, but I would use the low point drains and drain all the water out of the lines just to be safe, open the cabinet doors under the sinks, etc., If you have the ability to blow the water out of the lines with an air compressor, it would give more peace of mind.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:42 AM   #3

If youor furnace stays good it will keep it safe. Me, not living in it? Nope, I would have already winterized it. It's not worth the worry.

DE winterizing is so, so easy, if you need your RV back.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:29 AM   #4

At 25 degrees and not being occupied, you definitely need to do something. Heat set at 60 degrees is something, and you should be fairly well protected. I have camped may times in those temperatures, and have never had any issues, and we do not have an enclosed underbelly.

You mentioned Blowing out the lines, Personally I would jump on that and turn off the heat. The propane tank will only last a few days. I blew mine out a few weeks back before our last camp out, due to below freezing temps. The temp inside the TT was only a few degrees warmer that outside when I checked in the early morning hours.

If you have a big air compressor with nearly unlimited air, you can do a really nice job quick. My old small portable left a little water in my hot water line to the kitchen faucet.

Don't forget you need to do something with the traps too, when you do your final winterization.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:00 AM   #5

A general rule of thumb I read somewhere and have followed for years is if the temps are above 28 degrees you should be good to go for about 2 days. If temps are scheduled to fall below 28 degrees winterize. Normally I will dry winterize (blow out with air) down to about 25 degrees. Below 25 for extended periods and I'll load it up with anti-freeze. To me anti-freeze and 4 hours of time (includes winterizing the ice maker) is a cheap protection plan.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:17 AM   #6

I also live in the lovely PNW and have a Jayco. It takes about 30 minutes to flush the water out of your pipes and replace with RV antifreeze. You can get this at Ace, Walmart, all, sorts of places. Pick up 3 gallons. I needed 2 but better safe. Find your water pump. Mine was under the kitchen sink. Mine had a t-valve and a hose. Stick the hose in the bottle, turn the T-valve, turn on the water pump and open each faucet (include shower and toilet flush) one by one, hot and cold.

BUT BEFORE doing that find your water heater and switch the bypass valves. Then open the drain on the water heater. If this is unfamiliar I'm sure You tube has videos. But it is real easy and when ready to use just reverse the process with water.

Note, I used to do it with air. Then air then antifreeze, now just antifreeze. It is easier.
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:41 AM   #7

Hi neighbor. I am also in Eugene. I winterized. Cause of the cold weather we have had lately
parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:34 PM   #8

If you are waiting to winterize, Open any doors that access plumbing. Do at least drain the low points (fresh water and any blue and red hoses hanging down), and pull that plug on the hot water heater. Open your taps. Then, turn on the pump and let it go for at least 30 seconds. I would definately get some RV antifreeze and pour into drains to prevent traps from breaking. Did you dump your grey and black tanks???

If your pump has an intake hose and valve, you will find that winterizing is EASY.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:42 PM   #9

If it's just one night dipping down to 25, but getting fairly well above freezing again during the next day, you should be OK based on my experience. Let me know if it turns out I was wrong on that . . .
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:16 AM   #10

thanks!!

Hi there,
the nights are going down to 28 or so and the daytime is about 50. However, I read that the next two weeks are going to be above freezing! yay! This is too cold for me!
I got worried about the gas running out for the heater, so I placed an electric heater inside as well. This weekend I will get it winterized but I need to do a lot of things in order to get it done....i have to hook on and pull it out of the rv parking spot because the person we bought it from left the toilet tank FULL!!!!! GROSS. So i need to dump it.
Otherwise, I am so happy with this trailer. It is perfect and exactly what i was looking for.
Thank you for all of the great suggestions.
Thanks!!
Angela
Old 10-31-2019, 06:26 PM   #11

My goodness! Just blow out the lines or use RV antifreeze!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:34 PM   #12

Yup. Thanks! Gonna do it. Only had it a bit over a week. It is different from my last trailer so some learning curve for me. I cannot believe how happy this trailer makes me! All of the potential adventures!
Old 11-06-2019, 11:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon jayflight View Post
Hi,

Also how do i change my name on here? I have looked everywhere.
THANK YOU FOR THIS AWESOME FORUM!
Didn't see anyone answer you on this one. Go to User CP up in the yellowish bar next to Registry. When you click on that you can change profile settings like name, signature, etc...

2019 RAM Big Horn 1500 5.7 Hemi

2019 Jayflight 28BHS - SOLD
2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crew Max -Retired
SE Michigan
justlb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:02 PM   #14

Sounds like you will be OK, I might let the kitchen sink faucet trickle a bit which should prevent freezing if that were to occur.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:17 PM   #15

Winterized and all cabinet doors are open. Otherwise wish I was south. Going to get much colder then this tonight in Michigan.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:29 PM   #16

Winterizing

Suggest as part of the procedure you drain the hot water tank and use the bypass valves to isolate the it to minimize filling the lines with RV antifreeze. What ever method you use make sure and operate the hand sprayers get the water blown out or operated to get the antifreeze in place of water.
Alschief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:07 PM   #17

Water and freezing is interesting. At 32 degrees it takes 32 hours for water to freeze solid. And that's 32 hours consecutively at 32F. At 25F it takes 25 hours for water to freeze solid. It takes 25 hours consecutively at 25F for your water to freeze solid. Of course sub-freezing temperatures over many hours consecutively can play with this rule. To protect our rig, I winterize in Virginia around the second week of December, that's when we can expect temperatures to be below freezing for more than 15 hours consecutively. At that point I'd rather not take the chance.
hussieskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #18

Let all the faucets trickle all night. Increase the heat to 70. You’ll be fine.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:31 PM   #19

Water freezes around 32f. We are a little north of you (Near Salem), and have already reached below freezing several times.

If you're not able to keep all of your pipes and fixtures that have water in them above 32, then you need to winterize.
Fratzba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussieskunk View Post
Water and freezing is interesting. At 32 degrees it takes 32 hours for water to freeze solid. And that's 32 hours consecutively at 32F. At 25F it takes 25 hours for water to freeze solid. It takes 25 hours consecutively at 25F for your water to freeze solid. Of course sub-freezing temperatures over many hours consecutively can play with this rule. To protect our rig, I winterize in Virginia around the second week of December, that's when we can expect temperatures to be below freezing for more than 15 hours consecutively. At that point I'd rather not take the chance.
Water freezes from the outside to the middle, and expands by a little under 10% in size. If your pipes can handle that, then you're golden. Personally I winterize a little early, as I am much better at using a compressor than replacing plumbing :-)
Fratzba is offline   Reply With Quote