Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #1

Wheel covers?

Are wheel covers a "must have" if you store your TT outdoors? I'm in Iowa, so cold winters and hot summers. Seems like they would help keep your tires lasting an extra year or two.

I have a 26 bh. How do you size the covers? Is it better to have them a little oversized, or do you want them tight? What diameter range would you recommend?

How many miles do most think the original tires are good for? I was told that tires are good for 3 years, and to replace them after that no matter the miles. I'm guessing we put around 2000 miles per year on our tires.

Thanks for any input! Jeff
Jaums04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:52 PM   #2

Hi Jeff, first, I would highly recommend you take your trailer to a discount tire and get all new good years on your trailer. The stock from the factor are extremely cheap and you will have nothing but trouble if you keep them. I just swapped all the rubber out for some goodyear endurance and love them.

The other thing I did is bought a double wheel cover from Amazon. They are camp brand. They fit tight around the top then just run a binge around the back on the bottom if you want. I have never done that because they fit snug at the top. Anytime I am not camping the wheel covers go on it to protect from the sun.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Claytonbwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:40 PM   #3

Jeff,

I agree with Claytonbwn's 2nd paragraph although my tires have never been covered.

However, I am on my third year with the stock "extremely cheap" factory stock Rainier tires. They have safely taken us to Ohio, New Mexico and Massachusetts and numerous weekend excursions without a flat or even loosing much pressure. So, they have gone around 20,000 miles or more

With that said, we will most likely be purchasing new Goodyear Endurance tires in the near future as the tires are showing some wear. A good Tire Pressure Monitor System would also be beneficial no matter what tires you have on your 26 BH.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:51 PM   #4

I do cover my tires from November thru April (Northern Ohio) to help protect from harsh winters and the sun.
You are correct, trailer tires should be replaced not necessarily by miles but by age. I just replaced mine this summer, they were original from 2009. Tread was fine (we only travel an hour each way) But showed signs of cracking. TT is 29BHS. I won't wait that long again. I'm figuring every 6 years at the most.
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:53 PM   #5

My new replacements were from our local Jayco dealer. Something like $115 each, they were already on new rims (White), he said they all come in already mounted on the new rims.
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:19 AM   #6

What brand are those tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegill1 View Post
My new replacements were from our local Jayco dealer. Something like $115 each, they were already on new rims (White), he said they all come in already mounted on the new rims.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:10 AM   #7

I have the Towmax tires on my TT. I have several thousand miles on them with no issues and have never covered them thru the Kansas City winters and summers.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:06 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I always cover my tires. For the few pennies they cost. I have Westlake tires another C-crap tires. When doing maintenance I saw they had a new wheel well cover installed when I bought it a year ago and they still put on crappy tires. Every stop I check them. Goodyear Endurance is my choice which give 500 extra pounds per tire on 215/70R14. I want to stay at least in the 25% reserve margin.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #9

Wheel diameter plus an inch for ease of installation, was leary of black style vs white but the posts I read say no worries. Added a year of service I believe but many wouldn't keep past 3 years anyway.

Running the Rainier oem set for a couple years, will swap to Endurance. I balance mine as well.
wabirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:28 AM   #10

Take a look at where you park when making the decision to cover. Our TT spends most of its life parked in a storage lot. The spaces are oriented East/West, and there is usually a trailer parked both sides. Considering how little direct sun my tires get, I don't bother with covers.

The covers will break down at the same or faster rate than your rubber, so you will probably be buying new covers at the same time you replace your tires. Factor in the cost of the covers vs the slightly extended tire life, and you aren't likely that far ahead. And frankly, for safety I'm replacing my tires (Maxxis currently BTW) every five years, covers or not.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:17 PM   #11

Here's another vote for no cover, unless you like the look. I'm well into my fourth season on my "extremely cheap OEM" tires, with no sign of premature failure of even any UV degradation.

My towmax tires have carried my 9,900 pound loaded 32 foot camper flawlessly for well over 15,000 miles at this point.

Good bearing greasing and tire inflation is key. And try to go easy on hitting road debris and potholes, and you'll get plenty of life out of tires.

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:23 PM   #12

I don't use covers. They would be like our Christmas lights. Covered in snow and ice till Easter frozen solid to the ground. We can get the tires dug out but covers would be in shreds

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote