Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2019, 06:02 PM   #21

i sometimes leave it turned on ( i like to have the extra fridge) however you need to check every day i had a power failure which made a stinky mess ( i have the trailer plugged into my shed receptacle which blew a breaker for some reason) ...now i leave it turned off.
CamperStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:50 PM   #22

I have shore power to run a dehumidifier as it gets humid in florida , empty it every 3 days but it keeps the inside nice. don't want to put extra running hours on fridge or AC
2017 195 rb
Toyota Tacoma crew cab w/ tow pkg
wife and Gracie the wonder dog
larryrebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:36 AM   #23

In the spring summer, fall, fridge is on. Over winter, fridge is off and door is open.
AC is never on because it’s only plugged into a 115 15amp circuit at home.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:54 AM   #24

Both the AC and fridge are run by compressors. Compressors have a shelf life, whatever it may be. Leaving them on costs money and adds wear and tear to them.

We turn our fridge on 2 days before we leave, so its on for at least 5 days at a time. My sample size is only 9 years of owning a camper, but I've never had an issue with the fridge, nor have I heard of issues happening. I'm sure that a certain percentage of fridges have failures, I've just never seen or heard of it.

Maybe I'm just super lucky.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:52 AM   #25

Where did you get your bug screens?

Quote: Ever notice how "What the Hell" is always the right answer?
maejoicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
We keep our trailer at home and use the refrigerators as additional food storage. So, they run 24/7 365.
same here.we use it for additional fridge. comes in handy at Christmas and thanksgiving for sure and extra beer storage all the time.never shut it down.I equate it to my house fridge.It never gets shut down so why not the TT as well?makes sense to me.
trento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:23 AM   #27
Site Team

Bug screens are available here https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../CAM42149.html but there are a couple of different types, depending on the brand of fridge you have.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Both the AC and fridge are run by compressors. Compressors have a shelf life, whatever it may be. Leaving them on costs money and adds wear and tear to them.

We turn our fridge on 2 days before we leave, so its on for at least 5 days at a time. My sample size is only 9 years of owning a camper, but I've never had an issue with the fridge, nor have I heard of issues happening. I'm sure that a certain percentage of fridges have failures, I've just never seen or heard of it.

Maybe I'm just super lucky.
I think most rv fridges are not run by compressors.They are a whole different system.Unless you have a residential style fridge in your camper.Does your fridge run on LP gas as well?if it does then its not a compressor.If it is a residential style then think how much the one in your house runs.Does everybody shut down their fridge in the house for 6 months a year to save wear and tear?
trento is offline   Reply With Quote