Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2018, 03:51 PM   #1

Where to locate a Trav'ler dish on my roof

First, I understand a tripod or carryout is a much cheaper option for many and know that doing this is not taken lightly. I have already gone the slimline tripod route for a few years now and I am just getting to the point where I want a more "plug and play" solution, especially when stopping for numerous nights on certain trips.

So with that said, I have watched and read up for weeks on the installation process and seem to have that pretty well in hand. But what never seems to be mentioned is in regards to where to locate the dish on the roof other than ensuring sufficient clearance.

So I have been going back and forth between two locations that have the needed clearance and trying to weigh pros and cons of both. I also have seen them mounted in both areas I am considering and not sure what determined their placement if there was an option.

So if any current owners of the Trav'ler dish (DirecTV or Dish) can chime in with some additional information/gotcha's regarding particular locations on the roof I haven't considered, please do so.

Here are a couple of my thoughts.

The first location and probably the most preferred when ONLY location is being considered, is basically about as far up front of the roof as possible, near the front cap seam. It would have to go that far forward to avoid the bedroom AC shroud since I need a minimum of 33" clearance from any obstructions. This is directly over the bedroom area. There is a vent stack nearby (washer/dryer prep) to fish cables beside but is the furthest from the TV (in the rear of the trailer). But being up front may make it more vulnerable from low hanging tree branches or the brunt of weather, etc. on it when towing

Second would be almost direct center of the roof. It has 3 different vent stacks to choose from for fishing cables beside and is between the two AC shrouds which could provide some limited protection from tree branches, weather when towing, etc. It is located directly above the kitchen/bath area. It is also closest to the "utility" area in this floor plan where all the wiring, furnace, water heater, back of docking station, etc. are all located but also is taking up the only prime location on the roof for solar if I choose to go that way in the future.

It will be mounted with the longer mount plate used on weaker roofs, even though I may not need it, just to ensure stability in either location as well as to protect the rubber roof.

So if anyone has any additional thoughts/advice, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Where ever you have room, signal clearence and the best location for your antenna wire to go from the roof to your media center. Just remember to take your tripod antenna with you.

While traveling in Colorado, we were in CG's with some really really expensive motorhomes and they all had the automatic satellite dish units mounted on their roofs and everyone of them was using their tri-pod antennas, because the top of there motorhomes were under trees.

I have a Dish TailGater, I put it up on the top of my ladder that is mounted on the rear of the TT and a bike lock keeps it in place. At times I had to put it on the ground in front of the TT, locked up of course.

Good Luck!!!
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Where ever you have room, signal clearence and the best location for your antenna wire to go from the roof to your media center. Just remember to take your tripod antenna with you.

While traveling in Colorado, we were in CG's with some really really expensive motorhomes and they all had the automatic satellite dish units mounted on their roofs and everyone of them was using their tri-pod antennas, because the top of there motorhomes were under trees.

I have a Dish TailGater, I put it up on the top of my ladder that is mounted on the rear of the TT and a bike lock keeps it in place. At times I had to put it on the ground in front of the TT, locked up of course.

Good Luck!!!
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Thanks Don!