Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2022, 02:57 PM   #1

Whitehawk Axle Upgrade

Like many others I've issues and concerns about undersized axles/springs. I have an opportunity to upgrade my axles for pretty cheap, but looking for some feedback.

Current setup
2017 Jayco Whitehawk 28DSBH
6400 dry
7500 GVWR
2 3/8" dia 3500 LCI axles 1750 lb leaf packs
LCI said I cant upgrade leaf packs to 2000lb on a 2 3/8" axle

No major issues (yet) just springs are flattened

Went to the local spring shop for a 2nd opinion. They just upgraded a Montana fiver 7k axles to much larger. The dimensions on the 7k axles would mount exactly to my camper. I have to opportunity to put 2 7k axles, leaf springs, all the hardware, etc on my camper for about $1200. I just need to come up with 8 lug 16" wheels and tires. Spring shop said he'll still have to test camber and may need to make a few tweaks but could make it work.

Thoughts? Concerns? Good deal?
Smokey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 04:53 PM   #2

I have a 2014 28DSBH and have never had a concern with the axles or springs, or anything else on the chassis. I have the axles and brakes serviced regularly and they've never needed anything more than the axles greased. I still have the original tires even!

What's causing your concern?

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:09 PM   #3

This is a new to us camper and I researched a fair amount before pulling the trigger on it. Seems like a fair amount of folks were have having broken leaf packs or bent axle issues. Most folks under warranty just got them replaced, everyone outside of warranty seemed to upgrade axles. Before I bought this unit I looked at the springs and looked kind of flat. Called LCI they told me that’s normal. Took it to spring shop locally for 2nd opinion and he thought the springs were maxed out and a pot hole away from real issues.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey85 View Post
Like many others I've issues and concerns about undersized axles/springs. I have an opportunity to upgrade my axles for pretty cheap, but looking for some feedback.

Current setup
2017 Jayco Whitehawk 28DSBH
6400 dry
7500 GVWR
2 3/8" dia 3500 LCI axles 1750 lb leaf packs
LCI said I cant upgrade leaf packs to 2000lb on a 2 3/8" axle

No major issues (yet) just springs are flattened

Went to the local spring shop for a 2nd opinion. They just upgraded a Montana fiver 7k axles to much larger. The dimensions on the 7k axles would mount exactly to my camper. I have to opportunity to put 2 7k axles, leaf springs, all the hardware, etc on my camper for about $1200. I just need to come up with 8 lug 16" wheels and tires. Spring shop said he'll still have to test camber and may need to make a few tweaks but could make it work.

Thoughts? Concerns? Good deal?

If they put springs that are rated for 7k axles, wouldn’t those be way too stiff for the weight of your trailer? I would be concerned about the trailer being abused by the stiffer springs.
bamorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:12 AM   #5

I had a 2017 Jayco Whitehawk and replaced the axles first with 3500 and then with 6200. I had the original springs and hardware and upgraded the springs to maybe 2000 lb and added wetbolts. Springs were in bad shape and bolts had a lot of wear. It is not fun to be on a trip and replace axles, I think that sounds like a good deal. Just make sure it is lined up, so you do not get premature tire wear.
2014 Ford F-150 Max Tow (sold)
2017 Jayco White Hawk 27RBOK(totaled)
Tom B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 03:52 PM   #6

Tom - thanks for the feedback. He’s waiting on me to get him some 8 lug wheels and tires so he can adjust the camber if he needs to.

Bamorris - I’ve had the same concern, I don’t think he plans on adding the leaf packs for those axles although I don’t think he mentioned exactly what poundage they are yet. He said he had some sets that came in and were under the spec’d poundage for what they were intended for, but would work great for my setup. Guess I need to ask a few more questions before I pull the trigger

Tags
axle upgrade, whitehawk