Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2020, 11:37 AM   #1

Winterizing Window

I know the textbook answer is to make sure your RV is winterized anytime the temps are expected to drop below freezing. But, does this mean below freezing for only 2 hours overnight or for many hours, including the day and nights? We're expecting lows in the 30's-high 20's overnight and of course I've not winterized the TT . If I run the furnace at 75º overnight, open cabinets, bathroom door and HW tank storage compartment, should it stay above freezing inside the cabin through the night? The TT has an enclosed underbelly but its not a 4 Season enclosed underbelly.
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:15 PM   #2

I would be alert to the problem of the outdoor shower (if you have one) freezing before any of the other places. Your water tanks and sewer, black and gray probably won't be a problem until you get a hard freeze of many hours below 32.

Your exact make and model would help with better advice.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:24 PM   #3

2020 SLX 287BHS, yes, outdoor shower, also just drained the water system, including low points last weekend after an outing.
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:19 PM   #4

I have a SLX with a covered bottom. I used to run a $39 something electric oscillating heater to save from burning up propane an our 28ft camper. It would stay around 69 inside an it worked never had an issue with freezing lines.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:23 PM   #5

I just do not understand why anyone would worry for even a minute over their waterline freezing when it only takes 20 or 30 minutes, even if you have never done it before, and a couple gallons of three or four dollar antifreeze. I don't get it. But my wife says there's so much I don't get
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:40 PM   #6
Wsw

It should be fine in the mid 20s for a few hours. Water in the dog bucket takes a while at that temp and its sitting outside in the night. I would open all my drains. There are lots of high spots in your lines though. Pex lines are pretty wavy so not all water is draining. Pex has high bursting point so it takes a lot to bust it. Any plastic Fittings however that do not get drained though will pop.

2 days of freezing temps. Drain and put rv anti freeze in lines and traps and open tank valves to drain. If there is any water in a tank it can dilute the anti freeze so much your valves might freeze.
Wsw is offline   Reply With Quote