Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2019, 10:19 PM   #1

1989 jayco 1206 info needed

I just picked up a decent 1989 jayco 1206 for my daughter and me grandsons. She saw it today for the first time and she is excited to work on it and "fix'r up".
I'm just looking for some general info on this model camper. I have searched but not found any basic info such as:
Did these pop up's come with a battery? If so, I did not see one anywhere.
Is it possible to install an a/c unit on the roof?
The hitch seems to have a brake system built into it using a small master cylinder with a hydraulic set up. Are these reliable? What service on the brakes should be done?
The little pop up has been parked closed for a few years so it needs cleaned.
I'll post some pics below and I'm sure I'll have other questions as I help her get into this and check things out.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190817_120251071_HDR.jpg   IMG_20190817_120225219_HDR.jpg   IMG_20190817_120143808.jpg   IMG_20190817_120133373.jpg   IMG_20190817_120104350.jpg  

DOUBLETROUBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:20 AM   #2

Battery box would be mounted on the "A" frame in front of the propane bottles.

Surge brake systems are reliable, but being that old I would definitely flush the fluid and replace the brake cylinders on each wheel.

As to the a/c I would contact JAYCO since they should be able to research when they started reinforcing the roofs. I know STARCRAFT use to use a set of optional inside cross braces in the mid 80's and those are not visible in the roof picture.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #3

You don't need a battery if you have surge brakes which you probably do.

I agree you need to rebuild that system before any trip.

You only need a battery if you plan to camp with no hookups. If you have hookups than your electric system will make the 12 volts you need to run the lights and furnace.

On the AC question. Some have reinforced roof points for AC. The other option is to use a portable AC. It takes up more floor space but does not require the heavier amperage connection that a roof AC needs. If you do get a portable make sure you get one that has 2 hoses. One to suck in air to use in the cooling cycle and the other to send it back out. If you get the one hose system they use internal air to cool part of the internal air. That means that somewhere you have to let in hot, humid air from outside to run the system. Since AC systems only lower the temp by about 20 degrees it is a very waste full way to run AC. You can never get your air down to a drier and cooler comfortability you want. In essence, single hose units are good for a room in a house that is hot because they use air from the main house AC to pre-cool and dehumidify the air they expel.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:09 PM   #4

I was curious about the battery mainly so there is some lights working inside while it is not plugged in. The a/c will be something to look into later after she uses it and decided if she will need it or not. I appreciate the input. I haven't had time to plug it in yet to see if the fridge works or anything. Been a busy weekend
Old 08-18-2019, 05:36 PM   #5

That looks like a 2 or three way fridge. It should run on propane, AC and maybe 12 volts. Stay away from the 12 volt. Tried it on different campers and wimpy and would run a battery down even when plugged into the car and running.

Look up your model number fridge. Outside are vents. Take them off and look for a model number. May also be on a front plate. Clean the burner and pilot light, watch for wasps! They love the smell of propane and that is a great place to make a nest.

If your model has an electronic ignition system then you will have to have it plugged in or on a battery.

Here is a hack. If you need a battery just for lights for the night, turn the car around and jump off your car battery. For the furnace, don't, just not enough juice in the car battery to run it overnight.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:51 PM   #6

Thanks for the info so far. I think I'll start by scrubbing the canvas. It needs a good cleaning. I also noticed a couple small holes in it and torn corner under the one bed. The bungie cord under the bunk is also broken, can't hook it on the little rollers under the bunk.
Is there a recommended cleaner for the canvas?