Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2021, 02:15 PM   #1

2016 JAYCO 12HSB (A Frame) - Heater problems

Hello!!! 😊

Thanks for reading my post. Im new owner of a 2016 JAYCO 12HSB (A Frame) Pop up. Super cute little thing, we camped all summer and fall season last year, but when the temperatures dropped with had a problem. EVERYTHING works marvelous when the camper is plug to a 30AMP power source. But, off the grid is a different experience.
With a full charged battery 12VDC, and full propane tank fully functioning, we almost frozen 🥶🥶🥶. I found out the heater was blowing cold air on "heat pump" mode, so changed to "furnace mode", same deal. I thought thermostat was bad, so next time I had a chance I plugged the camper back to 110VAC and everything work perfect again, nice warm heater.
So, is there something wrong with my heater or is simply NOT supposed to work if not connected to 110VAC 30AMP power source?

Thanks!
cgajes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:12 PM   #2

Heat pumps will not run on battery, however your propane heater should have run on the battery and propane. I am not familiar with what heater they have in yours, however I would check the manual and make sure that there isn't a closed propane valve in line going to the heater. The propane powered heater should make some fan noise at the heater when you turn it on, (not at the heat pump / Air conditioner), if it doesn't make any noise it could be a blown 12v fuse, which you should check the fuse panel to see if any fuses are blown. ~CA
Old 02-23-2021, 03:22 PM   #3

Hey Craig! Thanks for your reply. The manual is worthless, I went thought it and is useless.
I did checked the furnace, while plugged to 110VAC 30AMP, ant it worked flawless. As you said, the fan noise was noticeable, plus it got hot right away. Same fan worked being off the grid (No 110VAC), but it only blew cold air. I'll re check the fuses tomorrow, to make sure I didn't skip one.

Thanks!!
Old 02-23-2021, 03:46 PM   #4

Not sure if you know it but the A frames have different heat systems. The Cool Cat heat pump will only run on 120v, it will create heat down to about 40 degrees outside temp. Some also come with an optional propane furnace which will run off 12v.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Not sure if you know it but the A frames have different heat systems. The Cool Cat heat pump will only run on 120v, it will create heat down to about 40 degrees outside temp. Some also come with an optional propane furnace which will run off 12v.
That is what I was wondering, whether or not there even is a propane furnace. I know I have seen a Jayco A frame RV with a propane furnace installed, however if that is an optional item, then perhaps yours (cgajes) doesn't have one. If you do have a propane furnace, you should have the combo heat pump (Sundancer330 says it is a Cool Cat) and you should also have another furnace, which I believe I remember it was a "Dometic" on the one I saw. There would also be an exhaust vent on the outside for the propane furnace. ~CA
Old 02-23-2021, 04:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
That is what I was wondering, whether or not there even is a propane furnace. I know I have seen a Jayco A frame RV with a propane furnace installed, however if that is an optional item, then perhaps yours (cgajes) doesn't have one. If you do have a propane furnace, you should have the combo heat pump (Sundancer330 says it is a Cool Cat) and you should also have another furnace, which I believe I remember it was a "Dometic" on the one I saw. There would also be an exhaust vent on the outside for the propane furnace. ~CA
If it has the optional furnace its under the dinette seat right next to the frig.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Hi. Yes, I was aware of that. Last couple of times we camped, temperate was around the low 30s' and heat pump was not delivering any heat at all. We used the furnace and worked great. Of course, this was while hooked to 110VAC 30Amps. My problem is when Im off the grid. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2021, 07:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Correct! My camper has both, heat pump and furnace.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:31 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
It's a coolcat. I had the A-frame also. First night we needed the furnace we froze our butts off. Went into town next day and bought an electric heater. Didn't keep it much longer after that, traded it in on a bigger Jayflight. Today, I still blame myself on lack of knowledge how the system worked, because the Coolcat is a heat pump, different from what's in a regular RV.
I do have to say, the A Frame was a cool trailer.....
Old 06-06-2021, 11:12 PM   #10

When I first Bought our BSB I noticed the Cool Cat was blowing cold air.... this was because I had not lit the propane. It wouldn't function without shore power.

Just in case, not that you didn't figure this out yet but it is worth checking.

The Pilot Light for the (Optional) heater/furnace is behind the forward most panel on the drivers side. It is a different Pilot Light from the fridge which is behind the middle panel.

My wife and I camp annually starting in April when there is still snow on the ground. And our BSB (Optional) Heater/furnace has always kept us cozy. We only Boondock so we have never been able to use our cool cat heater or A/C

2016 Jayco Jay Series Hardwall 12BSB
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade
BC Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote