Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2017, 08:15 AM   #1

Newbie here with tow questions...

I am newbie here but not new to the pop up life but new to owning my own. I have on 06 Pontiac Torrent AWD which is #3500 tow cap the tow bar is 7000#. I just got a 97 1207 and im trying to find the weight and all im being told is it is less then 2700#. Only an ebreak is on the camper and it would be 2 adults one kid in the vehicle. If it helps I tow a covered Titan snowmobile trailer with 2 sleds with ease. When I towed it home (only like 30 miles back roads) she followed like a dream very little movement and noise. On very rough roads and train tracks she only moved slightly. She did come with 2 full propane tanks and a deep cycle bat.
Now the questions
1. Can my vehicle tow that safely?
2. Do i need to add a breaking system?
3. If i need the breaking system...how does one go about adding that? Would I be able to do it or is it a shop type deal? Approx price range?
Thank you all in advance
MsVersave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #2

Your towing capacity includes the trailer, everything in it and everything in the tow vehicle (including the people). If the trailer is truly 2700 lbs, it's hard to imagine that you will not have at least 800 lbs of cargo and people, so you'll be very close on your limits. I'd take it to a CAT scale to get exact measurements.

Whether or not you need trailer brakes depends on where you live, where you'll be travelling and trailer weight. However, if the trailer is really that heavy, I'd get a brake controller installed (by a professional). If you don't, you will wear the brakes out on your tow vehicle very quickly and have a good chance of heating the rotors to the point that they warp.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:37 AM   #3

Your vehicles listed tow capacity and actual payload are very different numbers. You will need to look at the sticker in your drivers door area for the tire sticker that says "Total weight of all occupants and cargo shall not exceed"... Then look at your vehicles hitch weight and make sure you are within your limits.

Everything including tongue weight, passengers etc. gets deducted from that max number.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:42 AM   #4

This is what I found on break laws
Wisconsin Trailer Brake Laws

Any trailer, semitrailer, or other towed vehicle with a GVW of 3,000 lbs. or more must be equipped with brakes adequate enough to stop the vehicle.

A google search of my camper says dry weight is 1765# (info on a used one at a dealer)

Thats the breaking issue id love to avoid and what prompted my question!
Old 06-16-2017, 09:00 AM   #5

The sticker on the hitch says 7000#
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170616_094816.jpg   IMG_20170616_095518.jpg  
Old 06-17-2017, 10:08 PM   #6

We pull a 1206 with a Dodge Ram Pickup and while it has ample tow and stopping capacity, after a couple of trips with the PUP I had a brake control unit installed and it really makes a difference especially if you're doing any mountain routes....I would recommend it, if nothing else for your ease of mind.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:34 AM   #7

I went and spoke to an RV place and took pics of the pup hitch. They said it has its own breaking system. There is a pad in the ball cup that deploys the pup breaks when tension is on the pad. I asked about a controller he said since the breaks arent electric it isnt an option....

Tags
breaking system, tow vehicle, weight