Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2017, 08:20 AM   #1

Newbie...In every way for 1992 Jayco Model 1006

Hello everyone: I am new to the forum and for the very first time, I purchased a used 1992 Jayco 1006 PUP. I have so many questions it's laughable. I have never owned a pop up before so here goes: I am totally confused by how the electrical system works. And when using a battery, how that works, and works in relation to the electric. So, I pull into an electrical supplied campground site, set up my pop up and am now ready to hook up electric. What do I do? Plug in my electric cable to the campsite receiver? And that's it? Now I can watch TV, plug in fans, turn on the heater? Turn on lights? Turn on the radio? Watch DVDs? And just why am I using a deep cycle battery? When or how does that come into play? I have a gazillion more questions, buy one or two at a time. Thanks - Newbie.
adwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #2

Let me see if I can make this short and simple..... nope! lmao.

When you are in a campsite with electrical hook ups and you get your pup all set up, you can in fact do all that you mentioned, because your trailer will run on the electricity provided.

So what do you need a battery for? Most of the systems in your trailer are made to run on 12 volts. Therefore your trailer can run most things on the battery (lights, water pump, heater fan, etc.). Some of the systems in the trailer require the standard 110/120v electricity (TV, microwave (if equipped) etc.). Your trailer also has a converter so that when you are plugged into electricity, the 110/120v is converted to run the 12 volt items and also charge your battery. Yet, when you are camping at a site without electrical hookups you can still enjoy many of the amenities because the battery will power the lights and all other 12volt systems. Keep in mind though, when running on battery, it is a BATTERY and leaving lights on is bad. Running things like the heater fan will drain the battery very quick. Also, if your trailer is equipped with a CO2 and/or smoke detector, that is a constant parasitic drain on the battery when not hooked up.
Finally, if your trailer has trailer brakes (most PUPs don't) like the bigger trailers, you have to have a battery to power the emergency break away which engages the brakes on the trailer in case of separation from the tow vehicle.

Feel free to ask any other questions. There are a lot of people here who are very knowledgable and a wealth of experience. Don't feel that any question may be too simple or stupid; there is no such thing. Just keep in mind some of us here are hopeless sarcastic smart a$$'s.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #3

I agree with most of what NVGun40 said. I have run my heater, lights, dvd player, water pump and CPAP all weekend on the battery, but I made sure it was fully charged before I left home.

Most likely your pup has hydraulic surge brakes which do not need an electrical source to work. They work by the force placed on the trailer's tongue when the tow vehicle slows. They are set in an emergency by the safety cable activating a mechanical lever/switch.

I don't remember the '92s having the option of electric brakes but if it did come with them or the trailer was retrofitted at a later date, there is a need for a battery.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote