Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2018, 02:42 PM   #1

Sealing the bottom of the bed pull outs

THis summer while picking up my little trailer and almost returining it, I looked at a couple of popups, that weren't Jayco (sorry Jayco.
One of the major differences that I really liked was the fact that the bottom of the beds was sealed, not just bare plywood.
Has anyone ever sealed this part of the trailer, with success?
I think this would make the wood last longer and help with general upkeep. So... curious...

Roux & Max
the Beast, that's my Jayco Select 12HW...
Little Monster, my Little Guy T@B
Roux 'b Doux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:39 PM   #2

We had our popup for well over 10 years and thought about it more than once but never did anything about it. Never had an issue with the underneath side getting wet and it was the osb stuff that does not really like water at all. Wouldn't think anything more than a coat of paint would be required. However if you paint it you may very well be making it harder for moisture to escape if it gets in.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:19 PM   #3

I hadn't thought of the moisture problem, possible problem. I was thinking of maybe just using a coat of poly to seal it, since it's smoother and more wear resistant, if the right one, than paint. But I the same problem could crop up. Plus both could possibly start to buckle and/or bubble if applied.

I wonder if replacing the wood with some other product would be a good solution, although 10 years is a pretty long life.

More input would be nice.
the Beast, that's my Jayco Select 12HW...
Little Monster, my Little Guy T@B
Roux 'b Doux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #4

We gave the unit to our daughter, son in law and grand kids they still use it though rarely so it is 14 or 15 years old now. If you replace it with something else just bear in mind the weight of whatever it is.

On ours we had two large beds obviously one on each end and one sheet of plywood would not be enough and iirc the oem pieces were all one sheet of OSB. So depending on the size of the bed area it may very well take more than one sheet which not sure I would want to do with out joining them somehow along that common edge (glue?).

If you do poly or paint it perhaps best thing would be do it all including the edges to keep all moisture out but with ours I am not sure I would do anything as it just hadn't been a problem for us though we are in the west and it is pretty dry out here.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:16 AM   #5

We bought our PUP new in '93. We had it for 10 years. Sold it to a friend and he had it for at least 5, then passed it on to a family member. No one ever did anything to the undersides of the beds. Always exposed plywood. I personally would not worry about it.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote