Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #1

So how many clicks to tighten lift system when traveling?

Good morning all!

Question for tightening the lift system prior to traveling. I have a 2008 Jayco 1206.

As per the manual, whenever we are shutting down and getting ready to pull it somewhere I always make sure to crank the handle a few clicks after the roof is latched to put some tension in the lift system for traveling (so the cables aren't hanging loose).

Question is...how many clicks do you tighten yours? I usually do 3 to 5 or so. The manual says to "snug lift system up tight" so I'm wondering if I should crank until I feel a tiny amount of resistance or something.

I can get three or four clicks without even using the crank handle actually, just by turning the square drive shaft by hand. So I'm sitting here this morning thinking this may not be tight enough

Let me know your thoughts.
beornls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:42 AM   #2

I had three and thought the only purpose of "tightening" is to make sure there is no slack in the cable to prevent it from jumping off the rollers during travel.

The corner hold downs serve the purpose of holding the top tight, not the cable lift system.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I had three and thought the only purpose of "tightening" is to make sure there is no slack in the cable to prevent it from jumping off the rollers during travel.

The corner hold downs serve the purpose of holding the top tight, not the cable lift system.

Thanks for the feedback! Correct...the latches will keep the roof on. I agree that the purpose of tightening once the roof is latched is to take slack up out of the cables.

I'm just not sure how much slack there is in there and how tight I should make it. On your three did you just do a few clicks or did you tighten until you felt resistance?
beornls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:41 AM   #4

Just tight enough for resistance. I did not put any real pressure on the winder.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:59 PM   #5

Can't you just feel the cable by the crank? I think once it's tight it should be fine.
erich82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:39 PM   #6

Probably about 5ish clicks; mostly depends upon how much I over shot when winding down. I would crank back until I just started to feel a bit of resistance.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:20 AM   #7

When we bought ours, the dealer went through a "demo". On putting down the top for travel, he said the easiest thing to do is to go until there is some slack in the cable, at that point the top is still 1-2 inches high still, then push it down and latch it. We have done this, and once the top is latched, the cable has enough tension so as to not come off during travel.
shelbydave is offline   Reply With Quote