Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2020, 06:03 AM   #1

Strange light flickering

Very odd. I own a '92 Jayco 1066 deluxe. When I step into my pop up the lights flicker. They stay on but flicker for just a brief second only when stepping on my step up into the camper. I'm thinking there can't be any wires running under the floor by the entrance. How can this be. Any advice? Thanks.
adwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:20 AM   #2

Weird ground/“hot skin” issue where your making a grounded connection when your foot touches the step and the other is on the ground still? Can you replicate it by just standing on the ground and then touching the step?
I know, weird thought, but just trying to think outside the box. The only other possibility i can imagine is a wire issue in the floor or wall that is flexing when your weight transfers to the chassis? Can you stand outside and keep transferring your weight to the step and replicate it every time or is it a one time deal?
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:26 AM   #3

No, it happens over and over each time I step up into the pop up.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwizard View Post
Did you try just touching the step with your hand while standing outside on solid ground, without transferring weight onto it and see if it happens?

If that doesn’t make them flicker I think it’s the movement/flex of the chassis. They have a tendency to run wires in weird places and sometimes over and through the suspension parts as well. I wouldn’t rule out a sketchy grounded wire that’s getting exposed when you shift weight in the frame.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:14 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
On popups, there is a switch located in the cabinetry where the sink is located. This switch is turned "on" when you flip your sink up. It sounds like the switch might be loose or not getting enough pressure applied to it. When you walk into the trailer, the trailer moves enough to cause the switch turn on and off slightly.

This switch is designed to turn power off to the lights in case you fold the trailer up and forget to turn the lights off.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:17 AM   #6

Sorry for the late response. No internet at campsite. Yes, I touched the step with my hand...nothing. Light stayed on. Only stepping on the step causes the light to flicker. Obviously a short or loose wire somewhere.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
On popups, there is a switch located in the cabinetry where the sink is located. This switch is turned "on" when you flip your sink up. It sounds like the switch might be loose or not getting enough pressure applied to it. When you walk into the trailer, the trailer moves enough to cause the switch turn on and off slightly.

This switch is designed to turn power off to the lights in case you fold the trailer up and forget to turn the lights off.
I have never heard of this. Interesting. I will check to see if I can find this switch you talk about.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:15 PM   #8

Quote:
I have never heard of this. Interesting. I will check to see if I can find this switch you talk about.
I have seen the switch mounted on the sink cabinet on a couple of pups, but I think more often it is located on the edge of the roof where it meets the trailer body.

This switch drove me crazy on ours because it was wired to shut off all 12V supply, including the fridge. The only time I wanted to use the fridge on 12V was while travelling down the road.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
I have seen the switch mounted on the sink cabinet on a couple of pups, but I think more often it is located on the edge of the roof where it meets the trailer body.

This switch drove me crazy on ours because it was wired to shut off all 12V supply, including the fridge. The only time I wanted to use the fridge on 12V was while travelling down the road.
Well, I got the pup home, set it up again on my driveway and absolutely had no issue when stepping into the pop up. Now I'm really confused. I even midly jumped up and down on the step and no problem. Guess I'll let sleeping dogs lie.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:41 PM   #10

You ought to find that switch and check it for shorts. Wiggle it around and see if your lights flicker. Ours was over by the bunk near the kitchen counter. It keeps the battery from getting run down while sitting with the top down in case someone leaves a light on. Also was so the hot incandescent bulbs didn’t start a fire or burn a hole in fabric by running hot under a closed pop up bunk.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
You ought to find that switch and check it for shorts. Wiggle it around and see if your lights flicker. Ours was over by the bunk near the kitchen counter. It keeps the battery from getting run down while sitting with the top down in case someone leaves a light on. Also was so the hot incandescent bulbs didn’t start a fire or burn a hole in fabric by running hot under a closed pop up bunk.
I'll check my owners manual and I'll look for it. Is it activated by lowering or raising the sink? Is it a push button looking thing or a toggle switch? Anyone know? Like I said... I've never heard of this on a pop up.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:47 PM   #12

I googled Jayco pop up 12v kill switch and a few different styles showed up but most were just a simple toggle or lever switch that kills all 12v power once the top is down. Should be along the edge where the top meets the bottom as you close the camper down.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:41 AM   #13

I was under the impression it was not normal however maybe you are correct. I just want to find out what the source of the abnormal behaivor of devices and lights are.
wagonicfolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
I googled Jayco pop up 12v kill switch and a few different styles showed up but most were just a simple toggle or lever switch that kills all 12v power once the top is down. Should be along the edge where the top meets the bottom as you close the camper down.
Well I looked all over for this kill switch you talk about but to no avail. Nothing by the galley, nothing when flipping over the galley, nor any switch in the roofline where it meets the trailer when lowered. I wrote to Jayco and I'll see what they have to say. Maybe they didn't have a kill switch back in 1992 for pop-ups. So, I'll wait and see.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:06 PM   #15

My first camper was a 1992 Jayco Cardinal Deluxe pop up. I loved that camper! For the life of me I can’t remember where the kill switch was
Old 07-15-2020, 09:35 PM   #16

We had a 1995 1024. There was not a switch for the roof. There was a switch on the flip up sink.

I did replace the switch after one trip. the switch failed during the trip. I hard wired it so stuff worked until we made it back home.

The flickering sounds like a ground issue (check all ground connections to the frame) or one of your cables is contacting the frame and the insulation has been being cut into or worn through creating the flickering. The movement while climbing in causes the wire to contact the frame ever so slightly.

I think a few zip ties and some electrical tape would solve the issue.

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote