Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtoglenn View Post
Thanks. I definitely won't buy Chinese tires, I have seen several ugly failures on peoples rigs. I will check for USA made before I buy.
I wouldn't limit myself strictly to USA made tires. My Maxxis tires were manufactured in Thailand, and I think most, if not all are.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:35 PM   #42

Quote:
Thanks. I definitely won't buy Chinese tires, I have seen several ugly failures on peoples rigs. I will check for USA made before I buy.
But the big question is was it a tire issue due to manufacturing, or was the tire not inflated properly and/or ran above the speed rating of the tire. Or possible an undersized tire/ overloaded tire?

Some of the off brand models, I totally agree!!! But the Carlisles have been great as I mentioned.

Hopefully someone will post up where the Maxxis are made. I don't remember at the moment.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:37 PM   #43

I bought a set of Goodyear Marathons back in 2009 and they were USA made. I will do some checking to see if that's still the case. Thanks.
Gtoglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:31 PM   #44

Guys you make me laugh with your chinese versus USA quality....are you not buying junk made in usa ? Or made in canada ? Our trailer are made in USA can we say its great quality ? Lazyboy make sofa in the usa and their leather looks like s...t and stitches let go after 3 years! so there is a lots of junk made on our continent, made in usa is far from being a guaranty of quality ! Just think about home appliances China can produce excellent quality, maybe our cdn usa manager force them to make sh...y product ?

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:13 PM   #45

SmokerBill, you are right, I won't rule out tires due only to country of manufacture. I just am very skeptical of tires made in China. Thank you for your input.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:52 PM   #46

Quote:
SmokerBill, you are right, I won't rule out tires due only to country of manufacture. I just am very skeptical of tires made in China. Thank you for your input.
You bet. Main thing is to read reviews and do some research. Like Homer said, it's not so much the country of manufacture, it's the quality of the product going out the door.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:56 PM   #47

I'd still but Maxxis tires.

Carlisles?? Not me!

Carlisle Radial Trail Tire Tread and Belt Consumer Complaints

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:08 PM   #48
Site Team

Maxxis tires are rated very good by virtually every person I know and everything I read. They are made in Thailand

Carslisle radial trails, I don't know but they are rated highly. This tire gets good ratings but has not been out very long.

Marathons ST - I have owned 5 sets of them and would never buy another one. They used to be made in USA but are now made in China.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:28 PM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
I have heard that Goodyear Marathon tires are possibly the best for trailers. What do you think?
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...out-23566.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:46 PM   #50

G614!
Sorry, but that's what I think.
We can debate the overall quality of many products but, to me, when it comes to a tire for the 5er, it's the 614. Failing that I'd get a Maxxis, and I do realize that it's an LT (not an ST).

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:56 AM   #51

For those of you who subscribe to Trailer Life, Bob Livingston (IIRC) did a small write-up on Maxxis tires in this month's edition.

It was a good article, and I already have Maxxis tires on my trailer, so I didn't have to be "sold" on them. Two takeaways I got:

1) They're made in Thailand, but under close supervision by Maxxis, so quality is controlled to a much greater degree than other Asian plants where they're free to stamp out whatever they want under VERY loose control by the obscure name on the sidewall.

2) They're tested in excess of 80 mph at their load rating, but are "rated" at 65 mph to respect a trade treaty.

I like my Maxxis tires so far, and when the time comes I will likely replace with the same. The LR E tires I put on my rig are technically overrated for my trailer and offer good peace of mind. I would still recommend them.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:16 AM   #52

Thank you Camper Bob, this good information. I will feel confident to buy Maxxis tires for my trailer. I know there are factories around the world that make good products and I agree that many in China produce inferior products without any environmental or quality concerns. A guy doesn't want to take any chances with his trailer tires! Have a great day!
Old 10-17-2016, 07:28 AM   #53

I have a White Hawk 27dsrl and it has 14" wheels. Did you install larger wheels when you went with the Maxxis? I am considering 15" wheels and getting Maxxis 8008 tires LRE. Thank you in advance.
mikeo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:22 PM   #54

My trailer (Eagle 266RKS) has 15" wheels. If your trailer has 14" wheels I think I would just look for Maxxis, Goodyear or Carlisle tires to fit your
existing wheels. I suppose if you really want to go with bigger wheels you should first check to make sure you have frame and fender clearance. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #55

My new JayFlight has rainier ST, load range D tires. I inflate to 65lbs and check monthly and before each trip. Three questions: (1) Is it wise to purchase a wireless add on too monitor tire pressure and heat while driving? (2) What should be the maximum heat allowable? and (3) Since I'm looking at a couple of trips in excess of 5,000 miles do I need to replace the tires if I already have 5,000 miles on them?
Richard49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:56 PM   #56

Thanks for sharing.
mills90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:39 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard49 View Post
My new JayFlight has rainier ST, load range D tires. I inflate to 65lbs and check monthly and before each trip. Three questions: (1) Is it wise to purchase a wireless add on too monitor tire pressure and heat while driving? (2) What should be the maximum heat allowable? and (3) Since I'm looking at a couple of trips in excess of 5,000 miles do I need to replace the tires if I already have 5,000 miles on them?
These are my opinions...
1) Several folks on this site have tire pressure monitoring and are pleased with them. Several have caught problems before a tire failed.
2) Usually the key to spotting a problem is a temperature difference among the trailer's tires.
3) There is no absolute mileage for the original tires. Some replace them immediately. I now have ~10,000 mi on my original tires. I think they are Rainier ST, but the trailer isn't here now. They still look good so I plan to replace them about a year from now. At that time I estimate they will be at ~13,000 mi and ~30 months. Time will tell if my decision was wise or foolish.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:05 PM   #58

I just bought Carlisle HDs in 205/75/R14 and load range D... up from C. Nice to be able to buy a LRD tire in this size, but my last experience with either Carlisle or Goodyear... several years ago.... wasn't good, especially the Goodyears. However, on the strength of some recommendations of friends with recent Carlisles, I decided to chance it. I had changed out the TowMax tires on my last one to Maxxis and they did fine for me. But the new owner had a tire failure on his second trip out. This may have been low air pressure or road hazard, or even excess speed, as they are neophytes. I tried to stress tire pressure when they left with it... but who knows. Anyhow... I'll be traveling a lot this year, so I should know if the LRD Carlisles were worth the price paid. OBTW... I found them at a much better price than Discount Tire had them for, but they matched that price and the manager even threw in metal stems for nada... I got 5 tires mounted and balanced with metal stems for $501- out the door.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool-daddio1 View Post
Just today I had a conversation with service manager because that didn't inflate the tires properly on a recent service call. The sticker on the trailer says 65 lbs as do the tires He stated this was to high. The pressure on the tires after service was average 50psi. I appreciate your post. I will call Jayco.
My trailer tires say 65 PSI.. I usually put only 60 PSI since when I was putting in the 65 I had two blow outs. I was concerned that the heat from travel increased the pressure to blow out. I am concerned since I see that the information on trailer tires listed on this site states that under infatuation is a cause for tire failure. Am I under inflating?
I once had a spare trailer tire on the back of my old trailer outside the house just blow up because it was in the sun. Sounded like a Gun Shot.
scapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:52 PM   #60

Actually I'm looking at Taskmaster Providers right now to replace the Goodyear Marathons on my camper. My friend runs a garage on the side and is a tire dealer. He researched them to put on his 5th wheel toy hauler in a 14 ply.He then started to carry them. I was going with the 8ply at 2150lbs load range which is more than enough for my TT.