Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2016, 05:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankp877 View Post
I have decided to buy 4 of these and add the TIRE BEADS for balancing. Around here there are many tire shops to do the changeover for me.

I had the Kuhmo tires on my last trailer and was impressed with them.

2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:57 PM   #22

what is interesting and EVERYONE should be aware of is that on larger and even some smaller trailers, the tires provided by the dealer do NOT exceed the trailer load, even empty. It is shocking that they get away with this but I know on our Jayco 375BHFS, the GVW rating and the empty trailer rating exceeds the combined rating of the Towmax tires on the trailer. This is a brand new unit from the factory. During our one day check out of the trailer, I mentioned this to the tech and he was baffled. Nice enough guy and new quite a bit but he was taken aback.

Several web sites I have checked out about buying an RV have indicated one thing to plan on is to change out the tires ASAP as this is not uncommon.

Happy towing.

Patrick

jayco375bhfs-livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:06 PM   #23

The tires on my new 23RLSW total rating is less than the GVW of the trailer, but it was pointed out to me that 10-15% of the trailer's weight will be on the hitch, not the tires. And that makes the tire ratings a perfect match for my trailer. So no worries on that score.

roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
The tires on my new 23RLSW total rating is less than the GVW of the trailer, but it was pointed out to me that 10-15% of the trailer's weight will be on the hitch, not the tires. And that makes the tire ratings a perfect match for my trailer. So no worries on that score.

roger
What is going to generally be better though, a tire at 80% capacity, or a tire like in your case (guessing), that is closer to the max payload at say 92%? Or even closer to max payload? I know each tire is rated for "X", but with other factors that will reduce the weight capacity of a tire, the more reserve available the better (within reason!). Age, heat, speed, slightly low tire pressure, etc....

Maybe it is my crazy thinking, but I Plan on stepping up to a LR E for our trailer from a LR D. All for more reserve weight capacity. IF I remember correctly, our tires are rated for the total gvwr of our 32 or just slightly over the gvwr.

While this thread is related to tires, some manufactures do the same thing with a axle ratings + tw to have a higher gvwr!!! It seems they add the dry tw to the axles rating, and what do you know, a higher gvwr!!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayco375bhfs-livin View Post
what is interesting and EVERYONE should be aware of is that on larger and even some smaller trailers, the tires provided by the dealer do NOT exceed the trailer load, even empty. It is shocking that they get away with this but I know on our Jayco 375BHFS, the GVW rating and the empty trailer rating exceeds the combined rating of the Towmax tires on the trailer. This is a brand new unit from the factory. During our one day check out of the trailer, I mentioned this to the tech and he was baffled. Nice enough guy and new quite a bit but he was taken aback.

Several web sites I have checked out about buying an RV have indicated one thing to plan on is to change out the tires ASAP as this is not uncommon.

Happy towing.

Patrick
On a 5er you need to subtract the pin weight from the total trailer weight. I believe that will get you within the tire specifications.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayco375bhfs-livin View Post

Happy towing.r

Patrick
Thanks for the info. It's always good to learn about something so important!
cool-daddio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:40 AM   #27

Still, that cuts you awful close.
2002 Prowler Lynx (totaled due to tire blowout)
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:22 AM   #28

Looking through my Jayco manual tonight, I saw this and thought it might provide some clarity on weight ratings of tires vs GVWR of the trailer.

Quote:
You may question the total weight capacity of the tires on your RV being less than the GVWR; this is correct. In order to calculate the actual weight on the RV tires, it is necessary to include the tongue weight. The tongue weight is actually being carried by your tow vehicle, not the RV tires.

For example: If the tires are rated at 2,000 lbs. each x 4 tires = 8,000 lbs. and the RV has a GVWR of 9,000 lbs. with a tongue weight of 1,200 lbs. The actual weight on the RV tires is 7,800lbs. which is within the weight rating of the tires.

If you have further questions, please contact your dealer or Jayco Customer Service.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #29

Jay Flight SLX 212qbw

We just bought a new Jay Flight SLX 212qbw and after reading as much as I could about camping trailers, tires were a big concern for me. The GVWR of the trailer is 6000#. With water and propane only, it is only 4220#. It has duel axles. The tires that came on the trailer are 205/75R14 Rainier ST 6 ply load range C with a max load single rating of 1760 pounds at 50psi.

Am I thinking right in saying 4 X 1750 = 7000# weight rating for my tires?
This would give me 1000# or almost 20% if I am correct?
jimcisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:21 PM   #30

Jim,

Welcome!!!

Your thinking is correct. Your tires have a total rating of just over 7k lbs, so it looks like you have plenty of reserve load capacity for a 6k oh gvwr.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote